SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

Does anyone have any infomation, references and/or suggestions about putting a webcam directly on a website?

I would like to place one on this site I am working on, not just a link to a webcam.

Cost is an issue? Are there any services which will do it for free or "low" cost?

Interested in webcam regarding a location in New York City.
    It could be anywhere in New York. I am not particularly interested in placing a Cam myself.

I did a search at SitePoint but I could not locate any info on the topic.

I tried visiting some of the webcam sites buy I did not find them helpful regarding information on how to create a direct feed to a web site.

All information will be appreciated.

WP
    Webbing Along!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WP1,

My webcam is set up in my apartment and a picture is taken every 15 min and then uploaded to the server. Since i'm on a dial-up this only happens when i'm online.

My camera (Creative WebCam GO) came with the software to do this but i found a review for a windows based software program at http://www.lockergnome.com/ that will do the same thing with any camera type solution.

If you are on a dedicated internet connection then you can set it to upload every 20 sec (min for most standards) and can vary that depending on the nature of your cam.

Do a search at lockergnome for the software. it's freeware so there is no cost. If you are looking for a cam i suggest the 3COM home connect camera or INTEL's ....

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this on the Coffee Cup website and thought it might help with adding a WebCam on your site. Although not the type to show New York City, unless you set it up in Central Park!

"Now, with CoffeeCup WebCam, you can hook up your camera, start the WebCam software, and put LIVE Images online in minutes ! You can even have multiple cameras and multiple Websites. CoffeeCup WebCam will upload images from any camera, to any Website on your list, on any schedule you set ! It also makes your Web Pages, and you can add Cool Live Chat that allows you to chat with your visitors!"

[Edited by WebKat on 09-13-2000 at 07:44 PM]
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello WebKat and jonese,

Thanks for responding to my query.

I found some other stuff you might be interested in,

Camarades.com
    http://camarades.com/
    These folks give you an ad free page with cam software that displays your cam live on the web. I think you can place code directly on your site which would place the cam directly on your page as well. You can also have live chat with visitors if you want it.

Oculus
    http://www.poubelle.com
    Oculus is a $20 shareware program. You will need to pay the $20 if you want to save your settings. Otherwise you must put them in each time want to use the cam. No streaming , but will refresh down to every second as well as on decible level or motion. I think this program only works on macs.

WP
    Webbing Along!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used camarades, as WP1 mentions, and I find that it is great to use, except for the logo they put on at the bottom right of the screen. But, it's free, so I guess you can't complain!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Saltire
    I have used camarades, as WP1 mentions, and I find that it is great to use, except for the logo they put on at the bottom right of the screen. But, it's free, so I guess you can't complain!
    Hi,

Can one place the time and weather on the webcam screen???

WP
    Webbing Along!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I *don't* think that's possible, but a solution might be to use javascript on the webcam page for the time, and use SSI to bring up a page on the weather. So, you would have the webcam image brought in with SSI, a javascript on the page with the time and the weather brought in with another SSI.