SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by d3v
    Well in true American fashion I'm going to list the states I've been to as countries.

USA
    Illinois
    Pennsylvania
    New Hampshire
    Vermont
    New Jersey
    New York
    Maryland
    Virginia
    Texas
    New Mexico
    Arizona
    California
    Oregon
    Minnesota
    Iowa
    Indiana
    Michigan
    Ohio
    Wyoming
    North Dakota
    South Dakota
    Montana
    Washington State
    Washington DC
    Deleware
    Kentucky
    Tennesee
    Missouri
    Lousiana
    Georgia
    Alabama
    and Mexico

That's about 34 countries..
    let me remind you that are states. SO I'm glad to sum up the states I've been in germany, Belgium, France, etc etc...

Christophe

Lord of the Underworld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is going to be a long list...

Australia
    New Zealand
    Singapore
    Malaysia
    Japan
    Israel
    Indonesia
    England
    Wales
    Scotland
    Ireland
    France
    Switzerland
    Spain
    Italy
    Norway
    Greece
    Iceland
    Mexico
    USA
    Canada
    Israel
    Brazil
    Argentina
    Chile

and a couple of others that have slippd my mind

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 'Galliėr' is called a 'Gaul' in English.

Just trying to be helpful
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang...it's so weird. You all speak so many languages and have been all over place - I never meet people so "wordly" in my day to day life...why here? Something about it that attracts such people?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Chris, Americans are known to stay in their country for holiday. Partly it is kindof logic. You can go to a region with a much better climate and they would still speak the same language. And vica versa...

Also flying to Europe (where most culture is) is very expensive. Not only the flight but also living in Europe is very expensive. France and England are most expensive. You ave to pay $1.5 in Paris in a regular bar for a Coke.......

Christophe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm Vietnamese, and I've been to not so many countries: Singapore, Maylaysia, China

and now I'm studying in Canada.

To Nate: you shouldn't say that when you don't know much about the country. Although I don't study anything related to history (social science) here (Canada), I still know that they do have army, they did involve in the WWII(or I) (since there were a memorial ceremony or sth like that, I'm not sure)

Since I'm not Canadian, I can't tell any futher.
    So I guess my country (Vietnam)'s history is pretty well-known eh?!
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freesources

Wayne, Wayne.... You know... Every nation here has another language here. There are countires with 3 national languages (being Belgium and Switzerland). That's one thing.

Secondly there is this huge difference in history. First there were the ancient Greeks and Romans in Greece and Italy, than there were the Galliėrs (don't know the name in English) in Belgium and Holland, etc. Than there were the angelicans (england) and the Vikings in the North. I've been to lots of countries including every country that surrounds Belgium and I really see a difference in culture and mentality.

You know I'm on 50 km of Holland, 100 km of Germany, 120 km of France and 250 km of Luxembourg? :-)

Christophe
    Obviously you have never been to the south-eastern seacoast of the U.S. where you can barely recognize it as English at times (not trying to offend Southerners here but the accents can be very thick). I have been in the Bayou and the only thing spoken was this weird combination of French and English that was very difficult to understand at times.

I live in California and in Southern California it is predominately Spanish speaking. There are communities where the dominate language is Armenian (Glendale, Ca.), Vietnamese, Chinese and many other languages get thrown into the mix as well. A lot of people emigrate here and refuse to learn the language.

We don't have an official langauge and there are times when I have to find an interpretor just to eat or purchase an item. That is the main reason I learned Spanish. I recently had a job where there was 3 people total who spoke English, to get anything done I had to learn Spanish on the fly. Unfortunately it was a short-lived job and I only learned enough to get by, thinking of taking more lessons though. And I dare anyone to understand "Gangsta" speak (only way to describe the slang) because it is so off on a tangent that up becomes down, though I think I am getting the hang of it now .

As for history, you would be surprised at how arrogant people can get about the importance of their state to the stability of the country and the role it played in building the country. A lot has happened in the last 300 years that America has been built upon.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmm.. wluke I don't want to start any discussion or something but let me remind you that only in Belgium there are 6 different dialects and I ensure you you can hardly understand it. Belgium has 10 million inhabitants and is 30000 km² small. Here lived 6 difference tribals. I only remember Spanish Portuguees English and French people go to America

Christophe

btw: we have much more different cultures together here

only in my city there are people (1st, 2nd and 3rd generation) from:
    - Belgium
    - Marroco
    - Turkey
    - The Netherlands
    - Kosovo
    - Russia and countries around there
    - Italy
    - Spain

and there are 100000 inhabitants here... And I have to start talking about Brussels than which is on 30 km...

Christophe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by d3v
    Well in true American fashion I'm going to list the states I've been to as countries.

USA
    Illinois
    Pennsylvania
    New Hampshire
    Vermont
    New Jersey
    New York
    Maryland
    Virginia
    Texas
    New Mexico
    Arizona
    California
    Oregon
    Minnesota
    Iowa
    Indiana
    Michigan
    Ohio
    Wyoming
    North Dakota
    South Dakota
    Montana
    Washington State
    Washington DC
    Deleware
    Kentucky
    Tennesee
    Missouri
    Lousiana
    Georgia
    Alabama
    and Mexico

That's about 34 countries..
    Wow. If you have time to list all the states (or most of them), you have WAY too much time on your hands...

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I traveled a lot when I was a kid (I still am but a little older):

USA
    Russia
    Lithiania -
    France -
    Holland
    Belgium
    Poland
    Chechoslovakia
    Germany
    Bulgaria -
    Israel

... and about 5-10 other countries that I forgot...

Boris

Also, I traveled about 65% of the Europe on a bus tour (ouch - several days/nights in a bus)
    * HostSector.com - Get Your Business Online
    Plans starting at $4.95/month (up to 500MB of space, 15,000MB of bandwidth, and more).

http://hostsector.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think wluke's point was that the differences between the states is often big enough that you could consider each state a seperate country. One difference between states in the US and states in other countries is that each state can have radically different laws. (ie speed limits, drinking age, safety laws, gambling, etc.)

Also, the US is so much bigger than Europe that most (in my experience - no flame intended) Europeans can't comprehend the size. We once had a 15 year old French exchange student staying with us for the summer. We were going to go to a summer camp for 2 week and we had to drive there. We drove for most of the day (8 hours) and then stayed in a hotel. The next day we drove until 2 PM (6 hours). Fast forward 3 months. The exchange student is home in France. Her Dad has a map of the US and asks her where she went to camp (I live in San Diego - the bottom left corner of the US.) She pointed to the middle of the United States. Nope. We only went HALF WAY up california - not even 10% of the way across the US. Since the distances are so big and people so spread out, it's easy to consider each state a seperate country. (As a matter of fact [pointless brag time] if California were an independent country, it would be in the top 10 (#6 or #9, I can't remember) in terms of wealth per capita and food production. The city of San Diego alone would be the 31st most powerful country in the world. Really! I'm not making this up.)

And of course, isn't this what you Europeans are trying to do with the EU? (The EU is extrodinarily similar to the failed US Confederation.)

Owen

Originally posted by freesources
    mmm.. wluke I don't want to start any discussion or something but let me remind you that only in Belgium there are 6 different dialects and I ensure you you can hardly understand it. Belgium has 10 million inhabitants and is 30000 km² small. Here lived 6 difference tribals. I only remember Spanish Portuguees English and French people go to America

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello folks!
    Nice seeing that some of you have visited my "home country"..

I've been in:

US (live here now)
    Norway (grew up there and lived there until 2 years ago)
    Sweden
    Denmark
    Finland
    Germany
    Netherlands

Ken <~~~Newbie