User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb ANDROID site review please: must-have-android-apps.net

Hello,

I have a new website www.must-have-android-apps.net and is up and runniing.

I am looking forward to your comments, ideas, suggestions and review. I would like to improve it further!

Thanks in advance!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I'll try to list my observations as bullet points to make it clearer:

Header:
    1) The banner at the very top is slightly cluttered and confusing, in particular the grid of icons which don't actually link to anywhere.
    2) The blue banner below that is slightly wasted space, IMO - you could easily move your menu items into there
    3) Again, lots of wasted white space just below that

Content:
    1) It'd be nice to have some clear differentiation between apps, even a horizontal rule between apps could be a nice touch
    2) The word 'details' under each title is superflous
    3) A link to each app would be really useful
    4) Maybe include a screenshot of each app?

A final observation would be it'd be nice to have categories maybe for the apps, and maybe also a mobile version since people will be using the site from their phones

Has potential though, good luck with the site!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wireframe is rather boring. Make it at least 3 rows with nice headlines and images and it will look interesting.
    Atm all i see is a wall of text generally speaking.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site, easy to read.
    A link to apps it is a must, in my opinion.
    Good luck with your site!

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    There only seem to be a few apps listed on the home page, and it's not clear where to go from there.

also, your titles don't stand out much. It would be good to separate each entry visually a little more clearly. The "Created on ..." subtitles stand out too much as well. I'd say make them smaller and perhaps italic ... or remove them altogether, as they don't add much at all.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My review

This is not an easy to navigate site and is lacking on content. A site on the must have android apps I envision to have hundreds of apps and reviews all sub-catogorised in an easy to use navigation bar. As far as I could count there were only 5 apps you suggest and even then the information was lacking on pros/cons and without any general public reviews. Star rating is also a great thing you should integrate here. By here I mean on the front page of where the app is displayed.. I am aware that if you click through to "more" you have more information there but I feel a lot more information needs to go on the directing page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see that you're updating your blog regular basis. Over all nice website.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like your site is basically just a blog. Maybe it would be a good idea to use a free blog engine like tumblr, which comes with a bunch of pre-built themes that you can tweak, but that look pretty out of the box.

I would say the main flaw with your site is the design, the theme isn't very nice, and the logo looks very 80s. Try and get a friend who fancies themselves as a designer to help you with a logo. Also you can bling up your font maybe with a google font, they are all free: http://www.google.com/webfonts . Also it seems to be broken: if you click 'More' to see a whole blog post I get the following javascript errors that you should fix (on a webkit browser, but imagine most of these errors will occur on all browsers):

Uncaught TypeError: Object [object Window] has no method 'addEvent' whatsapp:2
    Uncaught ReferenceError: jQuery is not defined whatsapp:5
    Uncaught ReferenceError: JComments is not defined whatsapp:8
    Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'setForm' of undefined

You really should think of fixing these as some browsers will show a bit alert if there is any javascript error like this, and for nerds like me the whole site will stall as I have my browser set to 'break' on any errors.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Connor here.

I've just looked at your website.

I love the colours, they blend well toghether.

There is some great content on your website as well.

The banner is a bit big though, it could be smaller.

There is a lot of HTML5 Validation errors though, just go here: http://validator.w3.org/check?url=mu...droid-apps.net

It is a great website though.

You could add a star-rating system to posts like I have here: http://toytech.netii.net/posts/uncategorized/9_welcome

The website also needs to have easy to use navigation, which it lacks.

It's a great website though.

Connor

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

The banner or header image at the top fo the page is not very good quality and is pixilated and I don't quite understand the point of all the icons, they dont seem to be there for any particular reason.

On the main content section the main text body needs more of a margin / padding in relation to its container, for some reason it seems a little close. The font spacing is a looks a bit confusing, its hard to work out where one item starts and the other ends.

The date attribute on each post looks a little strange while its indented beneath the post title. The social media icons beneath each post are very spread out and they seem very numerous, they also need a bit of padding beneath them.

The newsletter within the sidebar's subscribe button seems to be overflowing its container and needs padding at the bottom.
    Hi, I'll try to list my observations as bullet points to make it clearer:

Has potential though, good luck with the site!

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the site is allright. But the content section seems a bit blah. Nothing stands out, and there is lots of icons. I would want to add some stars or something to show how popular an item is, use some icons and/or images, and break it up a little!
    Maarten

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be happy to offer you some feedback giokr.
    Her are some general points:
    1. The banner looks slightly out of place, and your logo looks unprofessional. It clogs my view of the site, and it's way too large + the "Must have android apps text looks medieval." and more like the work of a WYSIWYG program. I'm not trying to butcher your site, but this is something you will have to change.
    2. You need to establish a directory. F.ex, if people are looking for facts about your firm, then they click "about us", if they wish to look at all the app reviews you're offering they should have a place to click so that they can see the list immediately. Like another user said "get yourself an easy to use navigation bar".
    3. Make a box, draw lines between the content to clearly indicate a separation of articles. Now it's blurred and mixing up.
    4. Be careful placing PPC commercials on a newly started website. Establish your site as a trusted source of information and then you can focus on maximizing profits.
    5. The domain name is way too long..People will never write in the entire address, at least not out of memory. You should have a shorter and more catchy name, and it must not necessarily contain all of the words you listed. Through SEO and marketing you can accomplish a lot without having the most indicative name.

Hope this helps.
    Greger