SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Need Feedback for my website created for selling iPhone Software

Hi All,

I've just launched a site to sell iPhone Data Transfer Utilities and other affiliate products. Now I request all of you to take a look and review it on the basis of design, content, navigation, loading time etc. I also need suggestion on how to promote this site and increase traffic. Your time is greatly appreciated!

Website URL: http://www.iphone-to-pc.com

Nick
    Get iPhone to Computer Transfer Tool - Transfer iPhone Files (Voice Memos,
    Music, Videos, Photos) to computer and vice versa with ease.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    In terms of information on the site and its organization, I think you've done well. A few visual tweaks would improve it, though. For example:

- a bit of padding around the text on the home page (it's right up against the edge of the content area).
    - a nicer looking menu. I like the white tab on current pages, but it doesn't mix with the normal black vertical line. Also, the tabs have a darker blue color above them on hover, which looks like a mistake.
    - the intro text at the top of the home page is great, but I'd say make it a bit larger. It's really too small. You don't want people squinting to get their first introduction to your site.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nick

Yes, I would agree with all of that, but more importantly, I think your text needs a lot of improvement - the english does not read well.
    eg in 'But before going further and know more about the tool named iPhone to Computer Transfer, let's..' the 'know' is all wrong - do you mean 'learning'?
    Purchase page - 'If you have tried this iPhone to PC transfer utility and satisfied with the performance ..' is missing an 'are'

Your images don't look very clear - the header image particularly. Is that the look you were aiming for? I would change that gif to a nice sharp jpg (think apple.com) Could you take the 'Support IOS...' text off there and use real text instead? Would be better for seo, and probably more readable.

Not sure why you haven't made the screenshot (on the home page) clickable? Again, the enlarged image is not very clear. And it might be nicer to have it open into some fancy popup box (rather than a new tab).

I think you could also do with a little more padding/white space in the left column - looks a little squashed.

Generally, I like the usability, the layout and the use of colour. If you improve a few images, check your english carefully, tidy the navigation bar and add some padding I think you'll have a great looking site.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other then randomness and quantity of fonts used in headers, images sharpness etc i d say posting a wall of text right on the front page without any visual organization is never a good idea as far as design goes thats the biggest problem atm imo since its hard to grasp information.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In no particular order:

1. Sometimes you've used iPhone (correct), sometimes IPhone (incorrect) and sometimes iphone (also incorrect). It might not seem like a big deal, but little details like that can leave a lasting impression of a business that is careless and slapdash.

2. Headings use different font faces, sizes and weights on different pages. Again, it doesn't inspire confidence in the business.

3. You've got a small number of validation errors - none of them should cause serious problems, but that's still no excuse.

4. <p class="justifytext"><br /></p>
    and <h3 class="title_3"><strong>
    Come on, seriously? It's the twenty-first century, come and join us, you'll love it!
    (Plus, I'm really not sure why you've used <h1> for your first heading, <h2> for the second and <h3> for the third, when to me they all look equally important)

5. Justified text is pretty nasty on the web, and you could really do with more white space down the sides of the text to make it easier to read.

6. Banner at the top looks squashed, and black boxes behind "iPhone" "iPad" and "iPod" look like they should be clickable buttons.

7. Agree with Lieto that there's just too much text, and it's too small - combined with the busy-ness and slightly jarring layout of the left-column, it doesn't encourage me to read on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for giving your valuable time.

@ralph.m

I have made some changes suggested by you. Into text is bit bigger now, blue hover is removed too. Can you please tell me exact padding value for the text on the home page? One more problem whenever I open my site into text on the page looks fine but if I move to other pages of the site by clicking any of the link it shows me the same text as I was using earlier. Check attached images.vflb9v.jpgqswodu.jpg What's wrong?

@treacle

Thanks for all the suggestions. I agree with you on the English part will ask someone to proof-read it for me. "Could you take the 'Support IOS...' text off there and use real text instead?", didn't get it, can you plz elaborate it more?

@Lieto
    I could be wrong but too much text is just for the SEO purpose and all.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Lieto
    I could be wrong but too much text is just for the SEO purpose and all.
    You can write a lot of text but you need to visually organize it — distinctive headers, maybe some images, nice paragraphs, bullets etc.
    Although putting a text just for seo is rarely a good idea. If you want to put text just for seo add it to the bottom in light grey and really small font.
    However do note that wall of text may confuse search engine.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick04 View Post
    I have made some changes suggested by you. Into text is bit bigger now, blue hover is removed too. Can you please tell me exact padding value for the text on the home page?
    Intro text looks the same to me. The hover is better, but I'd still say remove the lines between the links. Maybe do the same as for the hover state, with tabs, except make them blue when not hovered. The black divider line on the right disappears when you hover, which looks wrong.

As for padding values, just experiment a bit. Maybe try 10px? Just make sure not to have text right up agains the border, as it looks awful. You don't need to be a designer to see that. I'm not one.

One more problem whenever I open my site into text on the page looks fine but if I move to other pages of the site by clicking any of the link it shows me the same text as I was using earlier. Check attached images. What's wrong?
    Make sure to clear your browser cache etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does text look fine now?

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    It's a bit better with that padding, but maybe a bit more is in order. Some of the text on the home page still doesn't have padding, and the icons about half way down are still hard up agains the left side. It would be nice to have a bit of space between the headings and first paragraphs, too.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does text look fine now?
    Not really.
    Here is an extreme example of what i mean since its kind of the best design studio in the world, but hopefully this will give you an idea http://www.f-i.com/infographics/civilwar/
    Even if you remove all the graphics, the text will still look interesting.

p.s. i am not sure what font are you using in top banner and headers but it looks stretched horizontally.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks ralph, Lieto and everyone for contributing. I'm not a professional web-designer but I will try my best to work on all the things suggested by you guys.

Can anyone also give me some tips to promote my site and improve my SERPs?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday, I have got my first sale

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Yesterday, I have got my first sale
    Congratulations! May you have many more ...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only concern I have with your site is the abundance of text on the first page. Right off the back it looks like I will have to read an essay in order to receive information about your company. I would limit the amount of information/text that is initially provided to a visitor - they may feel bombarded and won't even look at the rest of the site to see what you have to offer. The other problem is that the text on the page is too tiny - I am assuming this size was chosen in order to fit everything on the first page. Again, consider cutting a lot of the text, splitting into pages, switching text for visual images, and making things easier to read. Your banner also seems to be squished - you may want to either shrink the size or reestablish the dimensions. Asides for that, the site looks great and I hope you have a successful year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Ralph
    Thanks very much

@Semper

Thanks buddy. I working on the home page. Will add images or cut down some text.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple design and professional looking.