SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review my School Uniform website

One of my websites sells School Uniforms. It is a very seasonal business unfortunately. However I need to make sure I am completely ready for the next big rush which will be coming up in August.

I am getting some sales through the month. I need to maximize this as much as possible.

The website: School of Uniforms.

Please let me know what you think!
    Maarten

<title class="lol"> bronze trophy TehYoyo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry that no one's responded to this thread. I guess I'll kick it off.

What's your call to action? Just to shop? That's what it seems to me right now. Your call to action is to buy so I think you should find a better way to make this happen.

http://www.schoolofuniforms.com/boys...-uniforms.html
    Your 'Enjoy Secure Shopping' image is repeated twice, immediately next to each other. Maybe you could position it at the top of the page to reinforce the concept but keep it out of the way. Why does the picture of the boy look confused? Make him happy, not uncertain.

http://www.schoolofuniforms.com/boys...its-polos.html
    This was the next page I went to. My first issue is that there's a really big arrow pointing to...a menu. Most people expect there to be some way to refine search results...if you really want it to be super important, give it a border or something like that. Also, I don't think your color selection choices should be all caps.

From a sales point of view (as far as my limited knowledge of the subject can help), Your use of contrast is not very good. Your color scheme is mainly orange and blue, but the items that have contrast seem arbitrary like the 'Popular Articles'

It's confusing to me why there is a blog...it doesn't seem to fit with an e-commerce site.

Overall, it's relatively aesthetically pleasing.

Good luck and get those sales!
    ~TehYoyo

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I just visited your website and observed following :

1) The website looks very professional and attractive
    2) All the right messages are at the right place (Info on billing, shopping, shipping)
    3) The green color in the menu is not my personal preference and does not go with he rest of the website
    4) However, I differ from the above review that the color scheme and contrast are not good. Infact, I feel hat the color scheme is pretty accurate and exactly how it should be. Sober, simpler, still professional.
    5)One thing I would suggest is that the search box should be slightly larger with some text in the textbox. better place the search box somewhere near header so that it is clearly and sufficiently visible
    6)Yes, the blogs and articles don't look relevant to the content and intent of the website. If you have to place them, you better bundle them all under a link like 'blogs'
    7) The arrow present in the side menu suggests that the menu probably contains a sub-menu, which is not true in your case.So, you can probably replace that arrow with something else
    8)The footer contains a lot of stuff but not in the best organised way with random spaces creeping in between different links

If I have to rate it based on look and feel, I would say 8/10

Regards
    Pradeep

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome feedback, thank you both very much! I have already incorporated some of your suggested changes, and probably more to come!

Any feedback specifically on the home page? Should I have more attention grabbing messages there?
    Maarten

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found it hard to get back to the home page after some searching i realized it was the logo that takes you backhome but after you leave the first page its hard to get back, maybe put the your phone number a in a spot thats a little more visible, i found it in one spot on your contact us page.

The layout is awesome, keep it up. Just make sure the entire site is easy to navigate and easy for customers to get in touch with you.

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <broken record>The fixed width layout is too big for my netbook, too small for my desktop. The px metric fonts on EVERYTHING sends me diving for the zoom when I shouldn't have to and is the page's real accessibility failing. The grey text on black and the grey text on the side menu are below accessibility minimums in terms of contrast</broken record>

That said, it's a fairly clean layout -- it just needs a little tweaking for accessibility. Some of the things like the 'block display' of products starts to tread into the 'not viable for web deployment' type of layout, though using media queries that could be tweaked to work.

I'm assuming this is an off the shelf cart software -- it has all the telltales of the massively bloated markup with absolute URL's and classes for nothing on just about everything... the paragraphs around non-paragraph items, lack of anything resembling a document structure, empty H1, multiple H1's... everything I've come to expect from off the shelf solutions; probably not something you're up for fixing -- just be warned until you gut it's markup and drag it kicking and screaming into this century, it's going to have accessibility failings and cost you more than it should to host it once you start getting real traffic to/through it.

ESPECIALLY with the 836k pageload when only 140k of that can be blamed on images...

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Website overall looks great.. i like the logo and the layout only thing i can think of is the where it says "Welcome to School of Uniforms! My Account My Wishlist My Cart Checkout Blog Log In" its gray and i would change that because it does not go with the overall look of the site..also i can not find where to sign up at.. i only see your "SIGN UP TO OUR NEWSLETTER!" you should have the sign up button very easy to see.. change all that and i think your have a good looking website.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great site with clean style, but I also have a suggestion.
    The link buttons in top left of content body is used color of grey, I think this is a disabled color so some one maybe do not know it is a link button can be click.

SitePoint Member ExploreMySchool's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Website looks professional, clean and neat. It has a decent design. I agree with iconhot, the left button should not be grey, they give the impression that they are not available.