SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calling & Storing PHP Values

Hi, i am working on a site that allows members to make a small donations to a user's (friend) marathon profile page… i have a 'marathon_profile' table in my database and i have a 'donations' table in my database.

MARATHON_PROFILE
    - id
    - user_id
    - total_amount
    + 10 more columns

DONATIONS
    - id
    - user_id
    - marathon_id
    - amount
    + 5 more columns

I need to display the total amount raised on the marathon profile and i am trying to decide on how i should store / record the total amount raised and how i should query the total amount in order to display it:

01 - which table should i store the total amount of money received in
    A - simply add / increment the $total_amount field in the 'marathon_profile' by the individual donation amount AND record each individual donation $amount in the 'donations' table
    B - JUST record the individual amount in the 'donations' table and forget the idea of having a $total_amount and incrementing it each time

02 - how should i call for the total amount so that i can display it on the marathon profile page
    A - just call for the $total_amount in the 'marathon_profile' table (this seems a lot less workload on the site)
    B - run a query which will add up add the $amounts WHERE marathon_id = the marathon page (this seems a lot more work load on the site)

Thanks in advance for your help

Always A Novice bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You should not 'store' it anywhere. Calculated fields must remian that and not written to storage. Just run a new query and return the result through php.

Code:
    select sum(amount) from donations
    You may want to revisit your table scheme, it MAY be correct but all the ID columns are a bit unclear just by reading them.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok cool, thanks... a user_id can be a donator OR they can receive donations for a marathon

Always A Novice bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So essentially:

MARATHON_PROFILE
    - MARATHON_id
    - user_id
    - total_amount
    + 10 more columns

DONATIONS
    - DONATION_id
    - user_id
    - marathon_id
    - amount
    + 5 more columns

You'll need MARATHON_ID stored on the donation table so that you can make a relationship between any dontation and the marathon it is tied to in the event that the same user id creates multiple marathons.