SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

psycho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am building a store for a client using freemerchant.com

They do not offer on the fly currency conversion. My client wants this. The solution I thought would be to have a small link saying 'currency convertor', with a pop up window, with some javascript which let you put in the price in pounds, and then the result in their chosen currency.

Any pointers or scripts would be appreciated, i have no javascript experience.

Thankyou
    james

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could use http://finance.yahoo.com/m3?u as a starting place. It would be easy to make a Javascript or server-based script to convert currency.

You could also give them that link and tell them to do it themselves....but I think the first idea is better..

psycho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks d3v.

I can't use a server side solution cos i don't have full control over the order processing on freemerchant. Neither do i need internationally updated stats, i just need static conversion figures. I'm guessing i could just do this with some basic math in javascript ?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by James Smith
    i just need static conversion figures. I'm guessing i could just do this with some basic math in javascript ?
    Sure. I don't know Javascript syntax but I guess it's something like this..

<form onSubmit="window.forms.InputBox =* exchange_rate;">

Don't take this as fact, and if asked I didn't give you that syntax. This message will self destruct in 30 seconds. By reading this you waive all rights related to Javascript syntax. (ok, you get my point)

psycho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheers

well can any javascript dudes help me out ?

I want the price to be entered in pounds, and then the converted price be printed underneath, according to a drop down form (eg if it is into US dollars, times by 1.5 etc)

i would appreciate it greatly

james