SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What really is CPM

Now i know that cpm stands for cost per thousand impressions.

But now does an impression stand for one unique visitor (1 impression = 1 unique visitor), or is it every hit made by a visitor (1 visitor = many impressions depending on how many pages he goes through).

Is it the first one or the second one?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the second one - one visitor can see your your ad over and over. Therefore, if buying ads by CPM it's best that they are in rotation with a few other advertisers or the ad serving is done by a service that can specify how many times you want a unique visitor to see your banner.
    Sean Burns
    WebmastersReference.com - Submit your resources, affiliate programs, scripts and hosting plans.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx a lot seanb for the prompt reply.

Also i have one more think. Do you guys know of any good software that would track how many unique users i have on mys ite the CPM and so on. I have Webalizer Version 2.01, but i don't think that its that good( if this software is one of my pest options please inform me of that as well)

Thx in Advance for all your help

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For general stats I like AWStats a lot... and it's free!

For ad management I highly recommend PhpAdsNew... it's free too!

Hope that helps!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that this is probably another stupid questions, buy hey, i am new at this.

In AWStats tool there are a couple of categories; Number of visits, Pages, and Hits.

Can you please tell me the difference between them, and also which one counts as CPM

Thx a lot guys for all your help.
    Greatly appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by zoltron
    I know that this is probably another stupid questions, buy hey, i am new at this.

In AWStats tool there are a couple of categories; Number of visits, Pages, and Hits.

Can you please tell me the difference between them, and also which one counts as CPM

Thx a lot guys for all your help.
    Greatly appreciated
    This article should clear things up: http://www.ecommercebase.com/article/808

Number of visits usually indicates unique visitors. Pages indicates page views, and hits indicates total requests sent to the server (images, scripts, etc. per page included). This depends on your stats program, but a correct one would use the above.