SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Back to index" or "return to index"- FAQ page text question

Hi all just having a debate, on an FAQ page client has a link after each answer with the text "return to index" . We thought that "back to index" could be a better option but what do you think? Thanks

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's only one answer to that question: Do whichever the client prefers. It doesn't make a scrap of difference which phrase you choose, so if the client has a preference for one of them, why would you want to use the other?

Having said that, I would personally do neither. My choice would be "FAQ index". That's because the person viewing the page might have come straight to it via a search engine or external link, so neither "back to" nor "return" would be appropriate.

Mike

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting stuff Mike never though about the person coming from a search engine. Couldn't return many results for back to or return to texts in search engines. We went with your excellent suggestion, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikl View Post
    My choice would be "FAQ index". That's because the person viewing the page might have come straight to it via a search engine or external link, so neither "back to" nor "return" would be appropriate.

Mike

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayliss Trevor View Post
    Interesting stuff Mike never though about the person coming from a search engine. Couldn't return many results for back to or return to texts in search engines. We went with your excellent suggestion, thanks!
    I'm all for being concise, but that's a little too bare-bones for me. I think I would preface it with a "The". Otherwise, it might be construed as "you get more answers to this question from the index. Not so sure my point is clear, but I hope you get what i mean.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd make it "FAQ Index" too, just so the people would have an idea which index they're going to. I was going to say just "Index" but suddenly came up: Would the people know where exactly they'll be going? Well, if you have that index under a directory, and the visitor's the type that hovers on a link to see where he or she will be at, I guess that would be fine. But not all people who are spending their time on the Internet are doing that, right?

I'm all for Mike's suggestion here.
    Are you willing to become an SEO reseller?
    Work with a 100% white label SEO company today!