SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Looking for a new web host

I run a graphic design company and I'm looking for a reliable host that offers vps. my requirements are php 5, mysql, etc.

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you have experience with systems administration via the command line?

If not, you'd be better off with managed vps hosting which will narrow your options.

What budget do you have?
    Do you need a control panel?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManojBisht View Post
    According to your need, I want to suggest you for <snip>not only because of your need but also for the awe-inspiring hosting features provided by the site.

At the time of inception of my site I was also confused to buy a best VPS hosting plan and suddenly I quest this site. They provide VPS hosting plans at cheap rates with marvelous features like: 100 GB for Data Storage, 4000 GB monthly bandwidth and unlimited hosted domains.

Enjoy
    I'm always wary of hosting 'companies' that give no indication of where they are based (or descriptive information about who they are). This is often a warning sign of a fly-by-night host who may disappear with little to no warning.

Matt
    Last edited by EastCoast; Aug 31, 2012 at 17:21.
    Matt Russell | CEO | WebHostingBuzz
    WebHostingBuzz.com and WebHostingBuzz.co.uk Award Winning web hosting.

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    jcorbin,

Adding to Matt's concerns, I'm leary of hosts which don't post their daemon versions or prices. I didn't check the one offered in #3 but watch out.

I guess it's time to revive my checklist for searching for a new host:

Quote Originally Posted by DK
    I offer my standard advice:

1. Establish your requirements, i.e., Linux, Apache 2.4+, PHP 5.2+, MySQL 5+, the preferred control panel (e.g., cPanel) and storage and bandwidth requirements. Remember to allocate for log files, databases, e-mail (attachments) and growth.

2. If you're looking for a VPS or dedicated server, remember to ask what the host's managed services provide. Remember, a non-managed host must be monitored by you 24/7/365!

3. Know what control panels you are willing to use, i.e., WHM/cPanel. cPanel is the standard bearer for Linux systems and Plesk for Windows systems.

4. Know how much CPU time/RAM you need. If you need a lot of processing power (like Zoomla and other CMS's), this will be a major factor. These, however, are usually specified only for VPS/dedicated accounts and automatically throttled for shared/reseller accounts.

5. Know your target (the Internet is fast but some latency could hurt so the closer your server to your target audience the better) location and try to host as close to your target as possible.

6. SEARCH (using the above parameters) recording each feasible host as well how well it satisfies your requirements and budget. Spreadsheets are good for this as you can assign weighting to the different requirements and how well they were met to generate numerical scores.

7. Create a shortlist based on the database you've created in step 5 then SEARCH for comments about the host (avoiding obvious shills and websites which advertise for that host).

8. (from EastCoast) "Eliminate anonymous companies - if a hosting company doesn't have a full office address and company registration details visible on their site, it's often down to the amateur status of the operator, which is unlikely to be consistent with longevity and reliability."

9. (from EastCoast) "Eliminate new companies - hosting has a very high fail rate because of the low barriers to entry. If a company makes it through it's first 5 years then it's likely it's jumped a few hurdles and knows what it's doing sufficiently to have made a viable business. Not all new companies are cowboys, but the percentage is high enough that it's not worth the risk of being the one to find out the hard way, when there are plenty other options."

10. Eliminate companies which do not tell you exactly what you're getting for your money, i.e., the Control Panel, the storage, the bandwidth (traffic), the versions of the main daemons (Apache, PHP and MySQL), the SSL and dedicated IP charges, etc. That's where knowing your requirements comes in strongly!

11. The last step (other than selection) is to contact each shortlisted host with a question (I've used .htaccess and mod_rewrite availability, which services are managed by the host, the availability of IP addresses - you will require one for each SSL you use - or ask to test proprietary control panels - they may make life too difficult for you) and record the response time and your level of satisfaction with the response.

12. Finally, you'll have enough information to make an intelligent selection: "Just Do It!"

Been there, done that (all too frequently in the past).
    Alternately, save yourself some time and look at WebHostingBuzz where I've got three accounts (and NO problems). I highly recommend them (although I've got a shared, specialty and dedicated accounts, not a VPS, but I've got it well bracketed)!

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dklynn View Post
    jcorbin,

Adding to Matt's concerns, I'm leary of hosts which don't post their daemon versions or prices. I didn't check the one offered in #3 but watch out.

I guess it's time to revive my checklist for searching for a new host:

Alternately, save yourself some time and look at WebHostingBuzz where I've got three accounts (and NO problems). I highly recommend them (although I've got a shared, specialty and dedicated accounts, not a VPS, but I've got it well bracketed)!

Regards,

DK
    Thanks for the replies everyone! Ok, to answer EastCoast's and DK's questions.

I'm familiar with Linux/Unix command line interface, so I don't mind using it, since I grew up the MS-DOS era lol.

1. Requirements for me are Linux, Apache 2.4.x, PHP 5.3.x (or 5.4.x would be nice), MySQL 5.x, SSL, and dedicated IP addresses.

Additional requirements are, having the option to upgrade those above services when needed or add additional programs such as Ruby.

2. I know right now VPS would be fine. Most likely manged because to be honest, I'm not entirely sure on what all is required to manage your own server. (I'll have to research more on that).

3. cPanel, and WMH i'm familiar with.

4. I work with the popular CMS's such as Wordpress, Joomla, etc. I may also work with a shopping cart program such as Magento.

5. I'm in the Chicago area, but my current host gives me a choice on which data center to use for best performance.

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    jcorbin,

From my experience, (managed) VPSs are updated every day to use the latest STABLE (non-"bleeding edge") OS and daemon updates. You can also load any software you need whenever you like.

I will never manage my own server because I don't have access to the massive variety of tools required nor am I available 7/24/365 to monitor services for proper functioning nor to actively stop an ongoing hack attack (a DDoS attack would probably deny me access, too). IMHO, you need a "round-the-clock" staff to manage your own server whether it's a dedicated server or VPS.

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcorbin View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone! Ok, to answer EastCoast's and DK's questions.

I'm familiar with Linux/Unix command line interface, so I don't mind using it, since I grew up the MS-DOS era lol.

1. Requirements for me are Linux, Apache 2.4.x, PHP 5.3.x (or 5.4.x would be nice), MySQL 5.x, SSL, and dedicated IP addresses.

Additional requirements are, having the option to upgrade those above services when needed or add additional programs such as Ruby.

2. I know right now VPS would be fine. Most likely manged because to be honest, I'm not entirely sure on what all is required to manage your own server. (I'll have to research more on that).

3. cPanel, and WMH i'm familiar with.

4. I work with the popular CMS's such as Wordpress, Joomla, etc. I may also work with a shopping cart program such as Magento.

5. I'm in the Chicago area, but my current host gives me a choice on which data center to use for best performance.
    Know where the company is based - and make sure they are in a reputable datacenter but it's not overly a concern whether it's Chicago, Dallas, Seattle or Atlanta now days. DK's suggestion is as good as any.

cPanel/WHM is the way to go though, that'll meet all your needs, and well, cPanel is the best.
    Comcure does independent, off-site website backups just for the webmaster
    Full API. Daily Snapshots. Backup via FTP, FTP over TLS or SFTP.
    Storage Pods in USA, Europe and Asia to come. Backup to the closest one.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi

Personally I do like to know how long the host has existed, research complaints against them, and go through a checklist similar to DKLynn's. If the OP is familiar with the command line then cPanel/WHM are not necessarily the best options as they can really limit what you are able to do with your VPS.

I prefer a self managed VPS where I can install WebMin on it. WebMin is a powerful open-source program for server management. It does a similar role to cPanel however you are free to configure it as you see fit. In this setup you can also use secured SSH to tunnel and then use the command line, filezilla, or Ecipse to manage your websites.

Steve
    ictus==""

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are new to the hosting industry i would recommend to go with the reseller account - if you pick a good provider you have the support of the provider to help you out.
    Managed VPs could be a great solution as well, with cPanel /WHM backend .

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://intovps.com is a good vps provider. I have a vps server with them. I created a support ticket and got a response within 5 minutes. Fastest I've ever received a response.

Chad

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    advice for you , when you find a company ask thier custtomrs first . i learned that .

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Customers and their reviews/testimonials could be a good starting guide to evaluate hosts' reputation.
    Good luck!