SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Gated Websites & SEO

    A gated website is basically a website that requires a subscription to access.

    I want to know if links in gated websites can be crawled by Google. Will these links do good to SEO?

  2. #2
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Orange County, Ca
    Posts
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Google cannot access the page then Google cannot crawl them. Some news websites, which require a subscription, allow Googlebot to access them so they can index the content and then they typically require a subscription by the viewer to see past page 1, but most sites do not allow search engine bots to to crawl their pages behind the gate so they do not get indexed.
    Wordpress Auto Installer
    www.webproco.com

  3. #3
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revium View Post
    If Google cannot access the page then Google cannot crawl them. Some news websites, which require a subscription, allow Googlebot to access them so they can index the content and then they typically require a subscription by the viewer to see past page 1, but most sites do not allow search engine bots to to crawl their pages behind the gate so they do not get indexed.
    Thanks revium. So, can I say if pages cannot get indexed by search engine, backlinks in those pages will mean nothing to SEO, right?

  4. #4
    Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,892
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by watshelly View Post
    Thanks revium. So, can I say if pages cannot get indexed by search engine, backlinks in those pages will mean nothing to SEO, right?
    Backlinks, content, nothing ... if Google can't see it without logging in then it doesn't exist.

  5. #5
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Delhi
    Posts
    199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by watshelly View Post
    A gated website is basically a website that requires a subscription to access.

    I want to know if links in gated websites can be crawled by Google. Will these links do good to SEO?
    You could rather do SEO for your homepage and that would do! Since your inner pages require subscription to access, i don't think you would want them to show up in search engine!
    LEADING SEO COMPANY INDIA OFFERING FINEST SEO SERVICES

  6. #6
    SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mikl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    1,606
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, Google does have a way of handling this. It has a feature called "First click free", where webmasters can allow a visitor to access the first article for a given site. If the user then clicks through to another page, they reach the login or registration page as usual. More information here.

    Another approach would be to post a one-paragraph keyword-rich summary of each article in a separate directory. Make these summaries freely accessible to all. In each case, include a link to the login / registration page. Then, in robots.txt, make sure the relevant directory is crawlable, but disallow crawlling of the directory that holds the subscription articles.

    In both cases, searchers will always find a useful result, and the website has a chance of converting them to registered users.

    Mike


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •