SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I am looking for any suggestions any of you might have, when it comes to a Design Business.

Here are the main things I am looking for.
    - Where should I advertise the design business, locally or on the Internet?
    - How to setup a design business where more then one designer/programmer is involved. (the best way to work with clients)
    - Should I charge by the hour, by the amount (# of pages, etc), or by the whole project itself?
    - What type of business should I expect to recieve the most of? IE: setting up online businesses, designing a personal site, or re-designing a site

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris Roane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by wsresource
    Hi,

I am looking for any suggestions any of you might have, when it comes to a Design Business.

Here are the main things I am looking for.
    - Where should I advertise the design business, locally or on the Internet?
    - How to setup a design business where more then one designer/programmer is involved. (the best way to work with clients)
    - Should I charge by the hour, by the amount (# of pages, etc), or by the whole project itself?
    - What type of business should I expect to recieve the most of? IE: setting up online businesses, designing a personal site, or re-designing a site

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris Roane
    I'd say you should advertise a little on both, but mostly on the Internet. Web-based companies who pay the big bucks to advertise in the "real world" usually don't get very good results. Think about it, when's the last time you remembered a web site you heard in an ad off TV or radio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone else?

Chris Roane

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll probably want to advertise locally: Participate in as many events as possible where you will meet potential clients face-to-face. Get some really cool business cards designed and printed that you can give out. Most of your clients will come from word-of-mouth, almost everybody knows somebody that needs a website. It's just a matter of meeting these people.

Charge by the hour, but write a document for each project that outlines estimated costs with a breakdown of how many hours you will spend on each part of the project (ie. logo design, information architecture, cutting concept into HTML and optimizing, setting up on web server, etc.)
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good ideas Matt.

Chris Roane