SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I know when you run a design business, you should always have a contract. I have a few questions about that.

Does a lawyer have to write the contract, or can you do it yourself?

Could you make it like "Terms and Conditions" where they only have to agree to it, or would they have to sign a document and then fax it back to you?

I would appreciate it if any of you have any answers to these questions.

Thanks!

Chris Roane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Common people, there has got to be someone who knows this field well enought to answer atleast one of my questions.

Chris Roane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris,

1. I would say that a vast majority of people that actually do use contracts drew them up themselves, as opposed to having a lawyer do it.

While this is fine, I believe that it is the general consensus that you can draw it up yourself, but you should have a lawyer look at it first and tell you what's right and wrong, good and bad, etc., with it. While this still costs money, it cuts back on the total cost if you would have had the lawyer draw up the contract.

2. It is better to have an actual, tangible document that both you and your client have to sign.

A terms and conditions page on your web site is basically a verbal/understood agreement. The problem with this is that you may never know if your client actually read and "accepted" your T&C. Terms and Conditions will not hold up in court as well (if at all) as a CONTRACT that is signed by both parties and states what both parties' obligations are.

HTH! (Hope This Helps!)
    Isaiah Walter
    Owner / Visionary
    White Wonder Studios - San Diego web design & graphics
    www.whitewonder.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Thanks Isaiah!

If I understand this correctly, I would get them to print out the contract, sign it, and then mail/fax it back to me, and then I would sign it, right? Let me know if I have that down wrong.

Thanks!

Chris Roane