SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not looking for a bunch of grade school replies because I know alot of people here are young. I'm curious to know how many of the older people have gotten Bachelors/Masters/Doctorates/Certificates/Associates/ etc.

I go to Michigan State University and their computer science program is really outdated. They infact have not 1 course related to the internet. So I really dont know what I want to do here, I do not want to move but I dont think I'll get what I want at MSU.

I've looked high and low for some sort of distance learning webmaster program and I've found a good one.

http://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/pub/p...er/index.shtml

Now Penn State has an excellent program for the internet. Its separate from computer science and called Information Systems Technology. If I wanted to move I'd move to PA in an instant and major in that. However I dont but Penn State does offer a webmaster certificate through its distance learning program. Whats more is that I could breeze through it.

See I'm not looking to learn something new, I'm looking to get a piece of paper that makes me more attractive to employers. I think this is a good option for that, make my education official instead of self taught.

So that brings me back to my original question, for the older people here, how many of you have degrees or certificates and do you think you could have gotten your current job without it? Is college now just a technicality?

Chris

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly self taught. I went to High School, a year and a half of college, dropped out to get married and then 6 years ago I went to Computer Learning Center. I had a lousy job as a Janitor for the Los Angeles County Probation Department and the commercial seemed good.

At CLC, I learned Cobol and C programming, earned a certificate as a Programmer and got my first job. Since leaving there I have learned C++, Visual Basic, HTML, Javascript, SQL, Transact SQL and recently ASP, Oracle SQL. I am also currently teaching myself PHP.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a bachelor's degree in history, and I returning to school soon to get a master's in education.

I am essentially self-taught as far a computers go(The internet is really an amazing resource for learning). I plan to only do web design work part-time in the future, and I doubt that most clients would care that I don't have a computer related degree, as long as I can do the work well.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I left school at 16 with 10 O'levels and went in the Army as a Medic. I got a degree in Medical Laboratory Science while in the Army and left after ten years.
    After leaving the Army I did a Media and Film Studies degree. I've also picked up a couple of A'Levels and a BTEC.

None of these has anything at all to do with being a web-designer, at which I am am self taught. This probably explains why I'm doing so badly!

Peter
    Thread Closed - Before and After.
    www.Gods101.co.uk - Affordable Quality.
    www.scepticism-inc.com - All extremists should be taken out and shot!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2-year certificate in business administration(general management) and have learned evrything computer related on my own.

I figure I have learned about the worth of an Information technology Certificate on my own.
    "Over 2200 Free Webmaster Resources and Tools"
    Search through our continually updated directory of free webmaster resources.
    WebmasterLane.com

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm about 2 semesters away from having a Bachelor's degree in Spanish, and I already have a minor in International Studies.

As far as computer-literacy goes, I'm entirely self-taught. Got onto the Internet at 15 and learned about the wonderful world of web designing. Been hooked ever since.

The computer classes at my college still use 386's to teach with, so I hope you'll understand why I didnt pursue that field of study

Sparkie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a student. Maybe majoring in german and linguistics.

All the usefull computer skills I taught myself. All the not usefull ones i took classes in.

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My little 2-yr associate degree was fine for many years but I found that if I wanted to move up I needed to have my bachelors - which is one of the reasons I went back to college. I was a business major but found I had learned more about business 'on the job' than taught in the classroom, so changed to a subject that I love - history! Will take longer to finish because after so many years more prerequisites were added that I have to take, such as foreign language (my 3yrs in HS used to be sufficient-not now), public speaking (ugh) and a number of other classes outside my major. But I love school, so I'm not complaining!

Learned ALL my computer skills in the office and at home on my own - it was 'assumed' that I would teach myself on the weekends! Lucky for me I have a 'no fear' attitude about computers and pick up techniques quickly, but it would have been nice to have had support. Learned WordPerfect in one weekend because I had a healthcare contract to finish on Monday - but I did it! Having such an extensive knowledge of computers/windows in general really helped when I started building websites as many of the processes overlapped.

After finally getting appproval, the computer science department at CSUS is now offering a certification program, "Managing Information on the Web" - from internet, web server, scripts, database, etc. I plan to start this spring. Colleges will soon catch up in regards to offering programs and certification as this field is becoming too important to ignore. I found that the community colleges were faster to incorporate advanced internet classes than the 4-yr, and even the local high schools are adding web building classes.

But I believe that having a college education teaches you that there is more in life beyond the computer in front of you, as anyone can learn the technical skills with a book and experience and time. Having advanced degrees, certifications, etc. will not guarantee that you will have more success than if you worked alone to learn the techniques of the web. But it does give you a well-rounded interactive learning experience and most webmasters could use this balance in their lives...

I know that currently many employers are hiring those with experience alone, but as that pool of talented people increase (and it is!) then advanced 'formal' education or certificates might make the difference whether you or the person next to you is hired...
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm self-taught as computer stuff goes, too.

I'm finishing my bachelors in Marketing and Finance in the Spring and will likely get an MBA or MS-Marketing Research immediately after.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no degrees. Went to programming school a very long time ago and learned mostly COBOL, but had my second child a couple of years later and stopped working in the field altogether before I really got started. There was no such thing as a PC then, so had no further contact with computers for years. When we finally got a PC (my husband is a programmer and had no interest in having one in the house for a long time) I taught myself to use it and did some online tutorials. I picked up a lot of information from a friend who is pretty much a web guru and also from some of the guys at work. One thing that's kind of blown me away is that the web guys are so receptive to anyone who's interested and has just a bit of knowledge even if she's older than their mothers.
    If I was young I'd get a degree in the field for sure, but I'm not and I don't think it would be cost effective at this point in my life.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sparkie
    I'm about 2 semesters away from having a Bachelor's degree in Spanish, and I already have a minor in International Studies.
    Mind giving a fellow Site Point member some espanol help?

icq - 73218345
    aim - fibroptikl

If you can help, that'd be great.
    Fiber
    fiber@liquid2k.com
    "Prepare yourself, it's da human beatbox"

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adam,

I don't have AIM and am rarely on ICQ, email me at sparkiecat@hotmail.com and I'll do my best to help you..won't do your homework for you though

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Diploma in Computer Aided Design, a certificate in Desktop Publishing and another cert in Architectural Studies. All city & guilds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an associates degree in Commercial Art & Illustration, but I'm another self-taught computer junkie. I initially taught myself some basic web stuff to make a webpage for a arts-n-crafts gift shop I was trying to get off the ground. I ended up liking web design *more* than arts-n-crafts, and switched careers about two years ago. My employer didn't seem to mind that I didn't have any formal training, since I was better at what I did than the other job applicants who *did* have formal training. I do think my art background helps, though.

Cheese-N-Rice - A daily comic strip.