SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: php scripts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everybody,

i'm trying to make editable link list, where people who come to my page would put their favorite links. When someone arrives to my page for the 1st time he would just see My link 1, My link 2 etc. and that would be unchanged until the person changes it. I hope you understand what i want. I want visitor to be able to put his own links in that menu. I've been told that can be done with cookies, but i don't know how to do that.I'm using PHP. So I should be able to save a cookie on visitors computer and read the links from cookie file. If he doesn't change the links, then the script will just show My link 1,2....
    Anyone know how to do it?

I have another question. I would like to program my own poll script in PHP. Where should I start? Any good scripts already written which I could modify? The point is that I have to make my own poll script, because others put their ads and stuff in results.

Thanks everybody in advance
    Mare

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the polls try phpPolls from http://www.phpwizard.com

As for the Links you can use the session feature of PHP4 to store the links in an array or you can set a cookie to store the ID of a row in a database that stores the links. Either way it is a pretty simple script to write. Personally I would go for the Database version of it and use the session functions to store the user ID and a few other bits and bobs.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CGI Resources has open a new PHP area. You can find it at http://php.resourceindex.com/.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to add that you really should not take an existing script and modify it to get around using any ads/links that might go with it. That's usually prohibited by the creator of the script.