SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Search Engines and Redirection

I want to use browser based redirection for my site in order to be able to have a page taylored for NS or IE. Right now I just try to make my code and layouts compatable for each version.

However, there are some things I want to do with IE that I cannot do easily ('cause I don't know how!) with NS. So my question is this: If I use browser-based redirection and have a page named "index_ie.asp" for IE, a page named "index_ns.asp", and a page named "index.htm" which contains the browser-redirect script, how does a search engine list us if our main index page is a script?

Right now we are listed favorably in a few of the major engines in our category, so I don't want to affect that. And most of my improvements don't involve url changes. But on the other hand, I want to continue site development and improvement, which may include url tampering/changing.

Pennies for your thoughts?
    Ducharme's Axiom: "If you view your problem closely
    enough, you will recognize yourself as part of the problem."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some scripts don't work with NS like for IE. You have to find one that is universal for them both. Does php work for both?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you use some server-side script to workout which browser the user is using and then output the appropriate styles based on that?

Most search engines wont index your main page if it has redirect meta tags or HTTP headers in it. You could set it up as an entrance page with "Click here for IE" and "Click here for Netscape" links. This would be your best bet.

I actually wouldn't worry if things are a *tad* bit off in Netscape -- it's used by under 3% of surfers anyway...
    Need GUARANTEED top 20 rankings on Google? If so, checkout my web based guide:
    Google Ranking Secrets Revealed!