SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I think I'll add a weird thread here. It will fit in quite well I think...

I've collected AOL/MSN CD-Roms since they came out, and I have quite a stack...(about 340). You may wonder why I keep them...that's simple. They make nice, free costers.

Now for the question:
    "Does anyone else collect these things? What type do you prefer? How many do you have?" I really MUST know or I may lose sleep over it...

Isaac
    [www.disegno.com]www.disegno.com[/url] -Coming Soon
    isaccofedele@yahoo.com

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I have quite a collection (not as big as yours) of free internet Cds that sit on top of my tower. They do not only make great coasters but frisbees, they will go for miles. Another use I have found is a strees disk, if you want to get rid of that pent up aggression just snap a couple (thats maybee why my collection is still quite small ).

Disclaimer: Please be awair of shattering edges on the disks, and I will not be help responsable for any loss of really important CD's that whould be a result of yoru snapping the wrong disk

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One night me and some friends invented a game to use with them.

We had a full size shaq cardboard cut out (7 foot tall and all) and we played a game, you got something like 2 points for hitting him with the cd, 3 points for the chest, 5 for the head/neck, and 10 if you could knock him over)

So go out, find a use for all those cds. My most recent AOL cd came in a nice DVD case so I'm gonna keep the case, but I too have too many of those cds around.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by aspen
    One night me and some friends invented a game to use with them.

We had a full size shaq cardboard cut out (7 foot tall and all) and we played a game, you got something like 2 points for hitting him with the cd, 3 points for the chest, 5 for the head/neck, and 10 if you could knock him over)

So go out, find a use for all those cds. My most recent AOL cd came in a nice DVD case so I'm gonna keep the case, but I too have too many of those cds around.

Chris
    LOL! I don't have quite as many as Isaac, but I'm collecting them nonetheless. My god, those AOL ones are coming in DVD cases now!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a few aswell... I have the cover disk (sometimes two) off pcpro for the last 4 years I think... thats about 250 or so... AOL keeps sending me the things, even though my mom rang up to ask them to stop.. I have about 30 Cds which I have actually bought (including games)

We dont AOL cases in dvd cases yet, just cardboard packets, which is a shame because I get CDRs on a spindle (ie without cases)... oh well

The case to my alarm clock broke and I had a nice virgin cd, so I stuck my alarm clock behind it and used the hands... it makes a pretty cool clock

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I threw all my AOL cds away. If only I had kept them they'd be worth ... wait a minute - they still wouldn't be worth money. Although I do have CDR coasters. But I actually gave most of mine to this kid on the bus that would throw them out the window as we went over a bridge over I94. He has yet to actually get a CDR to actualy go down onto I94 yet

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have nearly as many as Isaac does, but I still have quite a few. I also snap them sometimes which is probably why my collection is relatively small
    I still receive lots of the CDs, probably a few each month, so my collection should carry on increasing.

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With AOL CDs don't you guys mean 'CompuServe'? I've got the most of these and on it stands 'Powered by AOL'...
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just destroy all them. Watch out if you do the same cause they can get pretty darn sharp and the last thing you want is 500 little sharp objects in your hand.

http://aboutpcs.com/pix/aol.jpg

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually just toss them right into the garbage.

Once, though, my wife and I found that they worked great as air hockey pucks on our carpet. We each had a wooden block or something for our paddle, and hit the cd back and forth. It just glided right along! Way to go AOL! (Or earthlink, as I think it may have been)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fun thing to do with old CD's is to put them for a few second in a microwave. The silver colored metal layer shatters into thousand bits but the outer plastic layer still holds the whole thing together. Looks very cool and is also a good way to destroy sensitive data...
    Just be real careful, not to leave the CD's in the microwave for too long, they'll start to melt and evaporate!!
    Also you should be aware, that putting CD's in your microwave might damage the latter one and/or cause injury. So if you do put a CD in your microwave oven, do so on your own responsibility!

Have fun baking those AOL-freebies

Johannes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jbb
    A fun thing to do with old CD's is to put them for a few second in a microwave. The silver colored metal layer shatters into thousand bits but the outer plastic layer still holds the whole thing together. Looks very cool and is also a good way to destroy sensitive data...
    Just be real careful, not to leave the CD's in the microwave for too long, they'll start to melt and evaporate!!
    Also you should be aware, that putting CD's in your microwave might damage the latter one and/or cause injury. So if you do put a CD in your microwave oven, do so on your own responsibility!

Johannes
    LOL! You might have too much time on your hands...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Possible
    But if you believe it or not, I actually read about this in a computer mag. They suggested it as a good way to destroy sensitive CD-ROMs that aren't needed anymore...

Johannes

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Isaac

I've collected AOL/MSN CD-Roms since they came out, and I have quite a stack...(about 340). You may wonder why I keep them...that's simple. They make nice, free costers.

[/B]
    I'd love to see a picture with a stack of 340 AOL CDs... then a picture after the explosion
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I don't have a camera, but maybe if I traded all the disks for one...but then I wouldn't have my collection....[never mind]

I have gotten an AOL disk in a leather zippered case before though...that must be worth something...

Isaac
    [www.disegno.com]www.disegno.com[/url] -Coming Soon
    isaccofedele@yahoo.com

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jbb

Johannes
    If you turn out the light while 'baking', you'll see some fancy colors and lighteffects
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Elledan
    Originally posted by jbb

Johannes
    If you turn out the light while 'baking', you'll see some fancy colors and lighteffects
    Now who says you can't have 4th of July in September?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I collect lots of CDs. The MSN CDs have demos on them in the CDSample directory. AOL etc CDs are good coasters, frisbies, weapons, and trash

Lets see some pics!