SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggestions for website header modifications?

The edges of my website header image (see below) are very noticeable. I'm not exactly a Photoshop pro just yet. What can I do to make this header look better on the website?

Any suggestions and instructions you can provide would be great. Like I said, I'm not what you would call an expert at Photoshop just yet.
    Last edited by Paul O'B; Aug 22, 2012 at 01:15. Reason: .

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Can you post your attachment again please as it got lost in the system - sorry.

... and welcome to Sitepoint

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I would probably remove the logo and text from that image and then make the grass a repeating image so that it goes all the way along the top of the website. Then just put the logo and text back on as separate elements.

If you adjust the grass images so that the left and right side form a seamless join then you can just repeat it on the body element at the top of the page.

Alternatively just add a fade to green at the edges of the image so that it merges into the background instead of stopping suddenly. Just create a green background that goes from 0 - 100% opacity and overlay it at each end of the image. I don't use photoshop so can't tell you how to actually do it in photoshop but in Fireworks its pretty straight forward.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For basic image manipulation, you should try Irfanview aka Iview. Nowhere near the possibilities of Photoshop, but extrememly user friendly. It's very stable, quick, simple and stangely enough, totally free.