User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneK
    Also, I'm going away from the topic of this thread
    That's sad. You make a statement that confuses someone, that someone asks you to explain what you mean, and then you leave. Stay! I think you made a nice point.

Or did you mean you were straying off-topic, not leaving the thread? That's okay too.
    The whole point of this part of the forums is to talk, so it's not like it's restricted to super-on-topic like the rest of the forums are.

Guido:
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneK
    Being a foreigner is advantage - you have greater life experience and knowledge of multiple cultures.
    I think Eugene means, if you are in a country/place where you are the foreigner, than you have experienced at least more than just your own native culture, but also the culture where you are foreign.

Take your example: you were aware of Dutch culture, and now you are living in Italian culture. So you've been exposed to at least two cultures now, since you are now technically a foreigner. Though the distinction of "foreigner" gets weird with kids who grow up all over the place. They're foreign even in the land they were born in, and native to all sorts of places.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    That's sad. You make a statement that confuses someone, that someone asks you to explain what you mean, and then you leave. Stay! I think you made a nice point.

Or did you mean you were straying off-topic, not leaving the thread? That's okay too.
    The whole point of this part of the forums is to talk, so it's not like it's restricted to super-on-topic like the rest of the forums are.

Guido:

I think Eugene means, if you are in a country/place where you are the foreigner, than you have experienced at least more than just your own native culture, but also the culture where you are foreign.

Take your example: you were aware of Dutch culture, and now you are living in Italian culture. So you've been exposed to at least two cultures now, since you are now technically a foreigner. Though the distinction of "foreigner" gets weird with kids who grow up all over the place. They're foreign even in the land they were born in, and native to all sorts of places.
    Hi Stomme poes,
    I meant that I begin to stray off-topic - I'm not leaving thread so fast, haha

"I think Eugene means, if you are in a country/place where you are the foreigner, than you have experienced at least more than just your own native culture, but also the culture where you are foreign."

That's exactly what I meant - thank you for putting it in the right form

Another thing is that with the globalization going on around, someone who speaks multiple languages and who knows how to work with different nationalities you actually have more value than someone who's doesn't have such experience.
    At least that's what I came across living in Chicago...

From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Yes I understood that from Eugene's reply to my post. I didn't understand it from his first post though, because I had the thread's subject (non english speakers that write on the internet) in mind.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since English is the global language. Any person who deals in such a business that he has to move from country to country should have good understanding of it. English is the only language that can be used any where in the world to communicate. So we should always take care of our vocab and grammar and should always try learn more from various websites.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With good understanding, you need to be good in pronunciation also. People whom you are talking with they should understand you, otherwise it is really irritating to have the conversation.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some accents sound cool - I just love Irish and Jamaican accents!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I love Nigerian accents and its one I can't even begin to immitate well, and I'd like to be able to.

Jamaican accents are also nice, they can't help but feel like relaxed accents.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Jamaican accents are also nice, they can't help but feel like relaxed accents.
    Yeahhhh, don't worry, be happy.

I'm currently in love with the Botswana accent (or "eccent"). Even though the actress in The No. 1 One Ladies' Detective Agency is is not from there, I laaaaave hair eccent.

SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I love the Afrikaans accent, sounds very happy
    Last edited by Shyflower; Mar 30, 2013 at 09:54. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john
    I love the Afrikaans accent, sounds very happy
    Haha, here we mock that accent. Wikus van de Merwe!

(I'm assuming you're referring to the Boer accent)

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Haha, here we mock that accent. Wikus van de Merwe!

(I'm assuming you're referring to the Boer accent)
    Please translate for us that don't get it (like me )
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    Please translate for us that don't get it (like me )
    It's the name of a character in a Movie: http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0155389/ (a funny clip on YouTube—NSFW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CJPcYfOfog).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess it's time to make a poll "What's your favorite English accent?" =)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Also, in South Africa there's sort of a general joke term for a white-Dutch-descendent guy, "Wikus" which I'm sure the makers of the film District 9 were deliberately mocking. Somewhere on the interwebs I even found a site listing "Wikus jokes". hehe

SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    For all those who are fortunate to own or have access to an iPad, there is a new free speech recognition app' available in the Apple web store:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/conn...sh/id635588329

The app' manages to understand my Geordie accent and curious to know if other strong accents are easily recognised.
    Last edited by John_Betong; Apr 25, 2013 at 08:47. Reason: spelling: not my fortay