User Tag List

Thread: Hosting Issue?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hosting Issue?

Hi, I am regularly having problems connecting to my website, http://www.ubereadoolische.com/ - how would I go about finding out the reasons why?

Please note that I am very much a beginner.

I wondered if it could be an issue with my web hosting service, cheapwebhosting.org?

I think it is them anyway - any idea? This has been going on for the past 2 weeks, approximately 50% of the times I try to access it.

Thanks
    James
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Aug 20, 2012 at 08:28. Reason: URLs delinkified

SitePoint Enthusiast edgarzakaryan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesthemonkeh View Post
    Hi, I am regularly having problems connecting to my website, http://www.ubereadoolische.com/ - how would I go about finding out the reasons why?

Please note that I am very much a beginner.

I wondered if it could be an issue with my web hosting service, cheapwebhosting.org?

I think it is them anyway - any idea? This has been going on for the past 2 weeks, approximately 50% of the times I try to access it.

Thanks
    James
    Hello, I'm sure that you have this trouble because of your server. You should contact them and tell about this.
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Aug 20, 2012 at 08:30. Reason: URLs delinkified

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Although the server is a likely candidate for the cause of this problem, your public DNS could be a problem. If you cheapwebhosting.org is also doing your DNS then it too could be the issue. Do a traceroute by host name and then by I.P. to your server. If the I.P. route connects much faster and even can connect when you can't access your domain by name then it is DNS. You then can know what to talk to your host about; either server or DNS or maybe both?

Regards,
    Steve
    ictus==""

SitePoint Enthusiast AndyGambles's Avatar
    Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time it is down go to http://isup.me and enter your website to see if it is online or not. If it says just you then it is a problem with your connection. If it is down for everyone then it is likely a problem with your host and you need to ask them.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ServerStorm View Post
    Hi,

Although the server is a likely candidate for the cause of this problem, your public DNS could be a problem. If you cheapwebhosting.org is also doing your DNS then it too could be the issue. Do a traceroute by host name and then by I.P. to your server. If the I.P. route connects much faster and even can connect when you can't access your domain by name then it is DNS. You then can know what to talk to your host about; either server or DNS or maybe both?

Regards,
    Steve
    Thanks all. What is DNS and traceroute? Sounds a bit technical to me!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesthemonkeh View Post
    Thanks all. What is DNS and traceroute? Sounds a bit technical to me!
    Hi,
    DNS stands for Domain Name Service. It is what the Web uses to match domain names www.abc.com to I.P. addressses www.abc.com -> 192.251.46.14; it is far easier for people to remember domain names. It is for this reason that you can connect to many websites using their I.P., for example I could try to get to www.abc.com by typing in my browser http://192.251.46.14/index.html or the contact page like http://192.251.46.14/contact.html

Traceroute is a tool that can be used to trace a path from your computer to your site. It shows you all the many different routers that your web request go through to get to your website. Traceroute can use a domain name like www.abc.com or an I.P. address of the website's server 192.251.46.14. To run a traceroute you can go to network-tools. Here are a couple of screenshots that may help you understand what you are looking at:
    domain_traceroute.png Traceroute by domain name
    ip_traceroute.png Traceroute by I.P.
    ictus==""

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, thanks :-)

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site seems to be up and running now. I see a broken image link (the only thing I can find wrong). The connection on your end must be the issue. Have you cleared your cache? Your browser could be buggy with the cache.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shanshan View Post
    The site seems to be up and running now. I see a broken image link (the only thing I can find wrong). The connection on your end must be the issue. Have you cleared your cache? Your browser could be buggy with the cache.
    Yes it has been fine since I posted this! I doubt it is the cache as I have had problems on work computer, home and telephone. Though I am far from an expert!

I still haven't worked out how to fix the picture yet. That is just how far away from being an expert I am. Oh dear.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can take advantage of a site like Site24x7.com or Pingdom to monitor your website more closely for errors, Site24x7 has a 15 day free trial while pingdom has a 30 day. That'll help you build evidence and see trends of these outages.

If your hosting company isn't willing to help you though - you should probably look elsewhere. I don't know that company, but there's tons of good hosts out there.
    Comcure does independent, off-site website backups just for the webmaster
    Full API. Daily Snapshots. Backup via FTP, FTP over TLS or SFTP.
    Storage Pods in USA, Europe and Asia to come. Backup to the closest one.

SitePoint Zealot coloradojaguar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some hosting providers have good support areas with a big knowledge base area as well as support videos. If you are just getting your bearing around hosting then you may want to locate one of these areas on your or other hosting providers sites. A few quick lessons can teach you about DNS settings and the best ways to determine if our site is out on your server or if other reasons are causing it to not display.
    Hosted solutions provider since 1998 - UK, Atlanta, L.A.,
    JaguarPC.com - Managed Hybrid Servers |
    Managed VPS Hosting | Dedicated Servers