SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Listings and File Names...

In the HTML forum here at Sitepoint, iI asked whether or not changing my page extension would adversly affect my page listing in MSN. Couldn't get an answer; didn't realize this forum was here. (Cool!) So if I want to install a SSI in my page in order to import external files, and end up having to rename my page/pages from *.htm to *. shtml or *.php or whatever, do I loose my listing? I am currently number two in my category at MSN, so this is very important to me.

Thanks
    Ducharme's Axiom: "If you view your problem closely
    enough, you will recognize yourself as part of the problem."

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It kind of depends on which search term you are using. Basically, MSN has results from four places - Overture, their own directory, Looksmart and Inktomi (I think).

If it's an unusual search term then the results are probably from Inktomi which means you will lose your ranking unless you you do something about it (with your .htaccess file).

Have a look at the results at MSN for your search term and see if it says "Web Pages" at the top - that's Inktomi. If it says sponsored listings or web directory results then you should be OK.
    Sean Burns
    WebmastersReference.com - Submit your resources, affiliate programs, scripts and hosting plans.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would actually just use a ForceType directive in your .HTACCESS file to tell apache to process HTML files as SHTML files -- this will save you alot of headaches.

Just search SitePoint for "ForceType" and you should find an answer there..
    Need GUARANTEED top 20 rankings on Google? If so, checkout my web based guide:
    Google Ranking Secrets Revealed!