0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When will we see it? What does it do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havn't heard much yet...5.5 just came out a little while ago...although it's terrible.

I'd also be interested to hear about it...unfortunatly several searches on the web for "IE 6" or "Internet Explorer 6" yieled nothing of interest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, aren't we ever satisfied? One version is out and people already want another. But seriously, I haven't heard anything at all about IE 6.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its fairly reasonable actually...5.5 was hardly even another release. Supposedly it was more stable...but that sure wasn't my experience!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE5.5 is not good, it is slow (Although I suspect this has something to do with WinME), lots of little things have been broken in it as well - such as the hourglass when you have clicked a link and it is connecting to the server.

As for WinME, it is seriously broken.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have WinME on my comp, but I never use it, I find most of the 9x/ME code is a bit unstable. I usually use Opera or IE5.5 under win2000 Pro. I know we should support alternatives like Netscape but is soo sllooowwww, even the company owners AOL dont use it ... I think 5.5 is the best internet explorer...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you know the company owners dont use it?

Plus I think I read something about IE6 in a article/review of IE5.5 at cnet.com

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AOL uses the MS Internet Explorer mshtml.dll engine to render html...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yea your right, that is weird. I thought you meant at employees at work at AOL...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can you guys speak that way about IE 5.5? It is the most stable browser and it made my system much more stable (Win98). It is faster than IE5 and has new features.

I now can go to 20% of my sys resources (I will try to go lower) and I'm on 64 megs. Earlier with IE5 I could only get 33% and than ICQ or IE woudl crash.

IMHO I think you guys download too much of those freeware thingies made by amateurs such as AOL thingies. These progs do destroy a system...

I have got some but not too many...

Christophe

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freesources
    How can you guys speak that way about IE 5.5? It is the most stable browser and it made my system much more stable (Win98). It is faster than IE5 and has new features.

I now can go to 20% of my sys resources (I will try to go lower) and I'm on 64 megs. Earlier with IE5 I could only get 33% and than ICQ or IE woudl crash.

IMHO I think you guys download too much of those freeware thingies made by amateurs such as AOL thingies. These progs do destroy a system...

I have got some but not too many...

Christophe
    Awww... You guys hurted Christophe's feelings...

Apologize and promise to never talk about his toys this way, ok?
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

********* Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "How can you guys speak that way about IE 5.5? It is the most stable browser and it made my system much more stable (Win98)."

I'm not sure how you mean it is "the most stable browser" and has made your system more stable... I know IE alters the whole Windows system but I haven't seen anyone else's system become more stable because they installed IE 5.5. It usually has the opposite effect. Maybe you got lucky.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW.. I never get below 50% using IE 5.01. I won't use IE 5.5 until its out for six months to a year always let others do my beta testing for me. Just upgraded to Windows 98 SE last month. Will go to either WinME or Win2K in April or May.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An installed update almost always makes the computer less stable that it already is. Upgrading from Win95 to Win98 would make it less stable since there are more bugs introduced and more things can go wrong.

It's better to buy a computer with a relatively new OS and not have to upgrade for a couple years. That's exactly what I did - my 5-day old Dell came with WinMe installed. I won't have to worry about upgrading until Whistler comes out...and that will be pretty close to the time I'll be off to college.

For the record: WinMe is not too much better than Windows 98, but it has many small improvements.

********* Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice, Wayne. Same thing I'm doing and same thing I'd recommend to others: give new MS software some time before you switch. That way by the time you get it, it has most of the bugs worked out of it. Good advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by wluke
    WOW.. I never get below 50% using IE 5.01. I won't use IE 5.5 until its out for six months to a year always let others do my beta testing for me. Just upgraded to Windows 98 SE last month. Will go to either WinME or Win2K in April or May.
    HOW? Adding ram I heard doesn't help cause it can't increase your system resources which are only 600k? Anyways, I get below 5% and someitmes completely run out. That IS the reason my computer crashes, because I have too mnay apps open. I wish you could increase your system resouces...

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like ie more than netscape, and i think skipping number 5 is a horrible move.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <COUGH>

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jumpthru
    HOW? Adding ram I heard doesn't help cause it can't increase your system resources which are only 600k? Anyways, I get below 5% and someitmes completely run out. That IS the reason my computer crashes, because I have too mnay apps open. I wish you could increase your system resouces...
    Adding RAM will help your resources a little. Doubling RAM will not double resources but it will improve them. A machine with 128 Megs of RAM will have more resources than one with 64 Megs of RAM.

I don't know who told you 600K but they are referring to the GDI and USER memory spaces both of which are 64K and can't be increased as they are tied to the maximum size of a String in Windows. But your resources are more than these, even though they are the critical points.

There are a lot of ways to save resources. Most of it comes
    from fine-tuning and knowing your machine very intimately.
    The biggest resource savers are:
    • Decreasing the number of fonts. Each font installed in your system is loaded at bootup. I use a program called Font Thing (freeware I believe) to load specialty fonts as needed and unload them when done.
    • Removing unused components and DLL's from my system folder. Each DLL and Component takes up resources because an index is built identifying everything that is installed.
    • Pruning the Registry. When you uninstall software it doesn't necessarily delete its registry keys. Use Norton Utilities or similar software to clean these unused keys out.

Other tips include:
    • Eliminating the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat
    • Only use 32-bit multithreaded software. No 16 bit Windows or DOS software allowed.
    • Restrict most applications to a single instance i.e. Textpad and MS-Office 2000.
    • Fat-32 with applications optimized to work in 4K clusters so they fit in memory clusters properly.
    • A lot of virtual memory for printing and other slow procedures.
    • Most up-to-date drivers possible, virtual print drivers.
    • Internet Explorer in its own process. (seems to be the opposite but saves resources and won't bring down the whole machine.)
    • No EISA devices, all IRQs assigned via plug and play.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE in its own proccess? Whats that mean...

Dang, Wayne (hey it rhymes) will you come to my house and make my computer spiffy. I wish I knew my computer imtimatly...actually I think I do a pretty good job though of keeping it tidy. But you seem to know about ever file on your computer though...

PS Stupid school. Cuts me back on my sitepoint visiting...thats probably a good thing though. I got to go do stupid bioligy homework now. School is only gonna get harder from here on out too. Sucks for me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I first got the beta of IE 5.5 which was terrible. It would crash every 30 mins. But It hardly ever crashed the whole system. So as soon as MS released the full version I installed it and this IE only crahsed once a week or so and I have never had it crash my whole system.

Yesterday a window I was closing crashed. Who cares?

I have a lot of fonts so I will try that proggie you mentioned.

Christophe

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jumpthru
    IE in its own proccess? Whats that mean...
    I am not sure what that means, but I believe you can change this at Tools: Internet Options: Advanced tab. I took a quick glance and couldn't find the option...but I think it is there.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5.5 doesnt crash my system, but it still crashes, now where saying how good microsoft software is because it crashes less often, Get linux
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone explain the IE in its own process?