SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I have asked for a site review in the past, but we recently decided to completely redo our layout. The new site is far \"shorter\", no more scrolling to find what you want, it loads much faster since we have removed ALL graphical sponsor ads for the time being on our homepage, and it is easier to browse since it is in several neatly organized \"channels\". So far, the reaction has been a positive one.

Special thanks to feedback from regulars in the SitePoint chatroom such as freesources, JamesUS, and many others.

>>> Site to be reviewed: http://www.web-master.tv <<<

David | http://www.web-master.tv
    The site for webmasters. New Design.

NOTE TO ADMIN: Three web sites reviewed in exchange for posting this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You\'re right, it loads much quicker.

The colors bother me. The mustard-background is hard on my eyes, although I must admit I\'m using a 21\"-screen. The green in the \"sign-up section\" for Time Digital does not contrast against the background.

The \"mouse-overs\" reads well; however, the menu is not mouse-overing. Is its color set to \"default\" or a color?
    I just noticed that the mouse-overs do not work on some of the other pages (i.e: Contact).

Elton
    Elton Kelly / ANETEK
    ANETEK.com ... ANETSTORE.com ... 10MAX.com
    eCommerce Website-design - downloading within 10-seconds @ 28.8-Kbps

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David,

Browser : Netscape 4.7
    Resolution : 800X600
    Connection : slow ISDN, but site loaded quickly.

A couple of suggestions. This is the first time I\'ve seen this site, so really just initial impressions.

1. It\'s not too hard to see that the title banner up the top has a slightly different background color. This also goes for most of the sub-titles to the sections. Is that deliberate? Overall, however, the color scheme is quite different, and very cool in my opinion.

2. The table width is currently set at 903 pixels wide, thus neglecting the rest of us 800X600 and 640X480 users who are forced to scroll right for the info. I understand you have a lot of info to try and put on the front page (which is fine) but it is flatly annoying to have to scroll across.

3. Out of curiosity, what font are you using for the titles?

4. On the articles page, you need a bit of space between the ad and the text above it. This applies to the ads on all the pages. However, the rest of the site uses blank space very well.

5. Still on the articles page, I suggest that you re-do the filenames the articles have - you currently have 2.html, 3.html, 6.html etc. - it\'s slightly easier for the user to remember and heaps easier if you\'re managing a large site - at least the filename will give you an indication of what that article has.

6. The vermilion red on the Contact Form is bold, but it\'s probably too bold - it\'s a fraction hard to see the black text (since the red glares out) so I suggest you tone it down a bit. The vermilion red also applies to the Advertise form.

I also suggest adding a few more fields in the Contact Form (like first name, brief demographic details, targeted questions like \'Do you come here often?\' etc. etc.).

Overall, I really like the color scheme and the \'look\'. Now you need to keep building the content and make sure it\'s useful for webmasters. The best of luck!

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for a most thorough review, I hope that I receive more like it... It is obvious that you spent a good deal of time reviewing our site, and that is appreciated since we update the site often to tailor it to the needs and desires of our loyal audience.

<<Overall, however, the color scheme is quite different, and very cool in my opinion.>>

I thought the same thing... Time to see content-based site without the typical left toolbar and white background. Anyways, the new design is attracting hundreds daily. I will work on getting the mouseovers to work on the contact page and advertise form, they are excluded since they were from the older version of our site and aren\'t a part of our content network.

The channel for webmasters. New.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I last looked, the main page looks a lot busier and more interesting, which is good.

You could attatch an onmouseover event to the commission central links that changes the status bar text to \'Cool Message Boards\' or similiar.

It loads nice and quickly which is always good.

It looks fine in 1024x768 but I had to side scroll in 800x600.

Browser : IE 5 / Opera
    Resolution : 1024x768/800X600
    Connection : ISDN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would consider this a just above average page on the net. No offense. I\'m only a 16 year old webmaster so I guess my opinions don\'t count for much to you. The colors in my opinion aren\'t really eye candy. I do like the fact that the ads are to a minumal. How does the domain extension .tv effect visitors?

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <<How does the domain extension .tv effect visitors?>>

They find it unique, so far. And that makes the site \"different\" so they remember it over the common webmaster links page that someone throws into the Internet.

The channel for webmasters. New design.

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <<It looks fine in 1024x768 but I had to side scroll in 800x600.>>

We have made the changes necessary, now it is 795 pixels so side-scrolling is not needed in most cases. Our site administrator also added a new section, daily quotes.

The channel for webmasters. NEW!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Browser : IE 5.0
    Resolution : 800x600
    Connection : Cable Modem

Originally posted by anti_alias
    Since I last looked, the main page looks a lot busier and more interesting, which is good.
    I agree...much better looking in that respect.

I personally am not too keen on the \"mustard\" background...it glares for me really. Not much to say other than that...except that I\'d change the navbar to use plain text links...the image looks like text links anway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really do not like having to scroll from left to right. I am running 800x600 on a 17\" monitor. Ireally like the colors. I kind of like sites with a typical left side navigation. But what ever your visitors like.

james34
    Jim\'s Web Stuff
    http://www.jimswebstuff.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time to see content-based site without the typical left toolbar and white background.
    While I do think that change is often good, most people are used to this layout and it is somewhat intuitive. Therefore, I would expect that some people would have trouble with the navigation initially, thereby turning them off from the site before they even had a chance to get started. Also, my resolution is 800x600 and I still have to scroll horizontaly. If you really want to make it viewable by all browsers and platforms at this resolution, the width should actually be no more than 723. A width of 795 will make most people with this resolution see a horizontal scrollbar.

Second, I think the main page is too busy. There is a lot of text, and the way it is laid out makes it difficult to actually focus on any one thing. Its overwhelming for a front page.

Third, I'll just sound in with my opposition to the color scheme. It seems like the audience here is split, but I personally find the colors somewhat ugly.

Lastly, the article titles in gray are hard to read. Might want to consider changing them to a color that is easier on the eyes.

All that being said, your site has made a lot of progress since I first viewed it. Your content has improved substantially and your site loads must faster than it once did.

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the reviews. I'm sorry if some of you dislike our content administrator's choice of colors, but it is distinctly different from most other sites in the field. We will continue to provide fresh content and advertise our site to keep the hits rolling in. Once again, we really appreciate the comments.

The site for webmasters is here.