SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flash link-exchange banners and Google

I want to exchange links with other related websites using small banners (like 120 x 60). I'd like to use Flash to create these little banners so they stand out from the crowd and catch your eye, but I also have to remember search engines and the Google PageRank I could get (or loose) from these links. Is there a chance that spiders won't pick up my link from these flash banners? Would I loose out of valuable PageRank from these sites in Google by using Flash over a GIF or text link?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google does index SWF files (Flash files) for external URL's and lists them as return links so you have to assume there passing on PR also all be it without any associated keywords (text, title or alt tags) in the link.

check here for more info on Google and SWF's

One thing to note tho is that whenever you export a SWF that's compressed (using Flash MX) it losses its readable URL - hence you'd loss any benefit from Google.

Its also worth noting FAST (All the Web) has started indexing Flash files & retrieving any text associated with those links... more info here
    Last edited by Chas; Dec 13, 2002 at 17:41.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about this: wrap the <object> tag in an anchor tag, like this:

<a href="http://www.yoursite.com"><object ....></object></a>

That way Google still gets the link...
    Need GUARANTEED top 20 rankings on Google? If so, checkout my web based guide:
    Google Ranking Secrets Revealed!