User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A review for my design firms website

I was hoping to get some feedback for my design firms website, I plan on launching next month and want to get all the kinks worked out. Your suggestions will be appreciated!

My site can be found at https://www.overnightlogo.net .

Thanks again!

SitePoint Member lemonheadlenny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good use of colours and very well laid out. The only thing that I didn't likie was your 'about us' page. The size of the main text is too big and I found myself bouncing off the page within seconds. Apart from that, a very nice looking and easy to navigate website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice site! I really like how it's a pretty minimalist site, but uses color and vibrant images to keep things exciting. For me, the weakest page was the home page. You have that big blue strip that really doesn't do anything but take up a whole lot of space. You should spend some time thinking about what is the most important thing you want to get across on the home page and then lay out the page so that the eye is naturally drawn to that content. Right now I'm not really sure what to focus on.

One other thing I noticed is a slight color mismatch. Some people might not see it, but I have very acute color vision (hence my job involving color management). That blue arrow in the header... directly over the content area, the arrow is slightly darker than it is over on the far left. It is #0aaaf6 over the content and #00aeff on the left. Not a huge deal, but easy enough to fix

<title class="lol"> bronze trophy TehYoyo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very minimalist, yes, but I don't like all of the white, and the lime green hurts the eyes (IMO).

In terms of design theory, the left side is unbalanced by the large origami image and the text.

Also, I would make your portfolio/testimonials and contact information the most prominent part.

If you just posted this for compliments, read this:

Wow! I love it! I'd buy from you right now!

~TehYoyo

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Upon first page load I'm welcomed by a splash of colors. Not bad, mind you, but it's certainly a pleasant site to look at. The site also loads fast which to me, I love

Just me, but it took me a bit to figure out where to go from the home page. Your big blue box tells what the site can do for the customer but from there there is no link in direct reading path. In that blue box I'd also include a link "Get started" or something to that effect. I had to search for a few seconds to find where to go from there.

Just from my perspective. Overall 9/10.

Edit-Just checked your c ode. If I ever saw someone have an XML declaration above the doctype I'd immediately discredit them, as a developer. That causes quirks mode in IE and does not even look like you use XML.

You also have a <center> tag in there which reeks of oldschool. There are much better methods than using that.

Granted no customers would probably ever look in the source code, but be wary of that. Some customers know enough of HTML to use that against you.
    Twitter-@Ryan_Reese09
    http://www.ryanreese.us -Always looking for web design/development work

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like it. Though I think there are a couple of things that could be done to improve it.

I like the colour scheme.

I feel that it is a bit top heavy, maybe the overnight logo.net arrow could be kept central rather than going out of the main area of the page.

Also underneath 'overnight differences' seems to be a bit of a large blank space, could you put anything in here somehow?

The girl is pretty, and her dress colour suits the site perfect, though she does look young, I wonder if a pretty but older looking girl would give the site more credibility.

Other than that I really really like it, and I would happily buy from the site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the insight! I'm making a list of all of your suggestions and gradually making changes. Over the next few days things should be changing quite a bit so check back please and give me your thoughts. Thanks again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site. I highly recommend showing a little more of your work. For example, when you go to the web design page, it shows a nice large image of some web pages. But on the logo page it is the biggest orange in the world. That is a great place to show off some nice logo's!

And on the home page I would recommend the same thing! Show some logo's... and some web pages. Show the visitors instantly what your style is. I know for myself, that when I see a bunch of nice logo's I am right away more drawn to click to find out more!
    Maarten

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's actually a very good design, good choice of colors, and everything is where it supposed to be.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Immerse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What's the picture of the girl doing there? Seems kinda out of place, to be honest.

Makes your site look a bit gimmicky. "Ooh, it's a pretty girl in a short dress, these guys must be really good in logos!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Really nice design, good use of colours, simple, elegant professional. I am personally never able to work with a white background (and no other colour there), but you've done a tremendous job. It's easy ti read, good use of images. Love your design.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll start with what I don't like so much. First thought: what is that girl doing there? I think that if you have a little saying beside her, or something that makes her 'make sense' it would be a lot better. On the right side on the home page 'Overnight Respsonse" is spelled wrong. I think that Logo Design, Website Design, and Print Materials pages are a little too white, even if there was a strip of colour behind the top half it would really liven it up. I also think that there should be a better way to get to portfolio rather then having to scroll to the bottom and clicking on the small link. It should be one of the main features. And this is totally just my preference but I'd rather see sharp looking icons for the social media/youtube links at the bottom.

Now for what I like! It is very simple, clean and crisp. The navigation is really easy and available (aside from the portfolio comment mentioned above). The phone number is very visible. I like the little graphics used, very clean and simple, matching the overall theme. Overall very nice looking website, good job!

<title class="lol"> bronze trophy TehYoyo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thewisestore View Post
    I really like it. Though I think there are a couple of things that could be done to improve it.
    The girl is pretty, and her dress colour suits the site perfect, though she does look young, I wonder if a pretty but older looking girl would give the site more credibility.
    Yeah. Maybe a 28-ish girl in a dress-suit?

Also, I think you should change the color of the dress just so it's not the exact same color. Maybe something darker?

Quote Originally Posted by Immerse View Post
    What's the picture of the girl doing there? Seems kinda out of place, to be honest.

Makes your site look a bit gimmicky. "Ooh, it's a pretty girl in a short dress, these guys must be really good in logos!"
    What, didn't you know that the ability to seduce is indicative of good logo design?

~TehYoyo

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Immerse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by TehYoyo View Post
    What, didn't you know that the ability to seduce is indicative of good logo design?

~TehYoyo
    Then I'd be an awful logo designer! Wait... that's not right? Er...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, great website! I really like the clean design and the colour scheme is great. Great prices it seems too. We may hit you up for a logo!

I agree with some of the comments about the girl, but it is eye-catching I don't think it takes away from your credibility though. Great work!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. I don't understand why, but a lot of designers seem to think that they need lots of "stuff" on the screen in order to appear substantial. Have you ever seen a web site for an iPhone app? Usually, it's just a page with a screenshot, some text explaining the product and a download link.

If all you sell is one product, overnight design work--why not think of it the same way you would approach an iPhone app?

Tell me what it is.
    Show me what it is.
    Point me to where I can get it.

2. I find it strange that you have such a busy home page with lots of buttons and arrows and yet no where on the page do you actually show examples of your work.

3. Get rid of the model. It's cheesy and nobody cares that you have a picture of a hot woman on your site.

4. You know how some web sites would feature their clients/partners in a strip of logos at the bottom of their page? You should do that, as a kind of teaser and have a link pointing to your portfolio.

5. The text on the about page is waaaaaay too small and there's to much of it, crammed into a little space. Shorten it, spread it out, make it bigger, vary the size, and use headers to break up the text.

6. And finally consolidate the text on your home page; it's all over the place.

In web design, you've got five seconds to hook a potential client or else they'll lose interest. You need to figure out what's important to your potential clients and quickly convey how you can meet their needs...all in a few sentences that are eye catching and easy to read.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

the website is neat & simple with a direct approach.

My few observations, though, are :

1) The header and the links in header can be made slightly more attractive.
    2) The top 3 sticky image links are a bit more large than they should be and probably placed only where needed instead of being put in every page.
    3) A sticky logo at the top in header would server a better purpose, I believe, that putting the three images on every page
    4) Yes, the image of the girl does not exactly convey the intended message sufficiently and occupies way too much space on the home page
    5) The header text in the About Us is too big and overwhelming
    6) The titles in the footer can be made more attractive. The white and black colors in footer are very contrasting
    7) The plan description under "Business Logo Pricing" should have some borders etc and made to look professional. The font colors, sizes and weights have to be made more aligned

Regards
    Pradeep Mishra

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So for those of you who had seen the woman on my front page, I have gotten rid of her and replaced her with some examples of my work. How does the homepage look now? Thanks!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a web designer i really like your site..It is attractive yet simple..very clean and navigation is easy..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the theme of your design. It is quite clear to emphasize your content

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the nice clear layout, but I wasn't keen on some of the images like the large pencil image.

I also wasn't sure if the example logos had been created by you or by someone else. This perhaps need to be made clear that it is a portfolio of your work.

Also on your website design examples page the large text link to OregenOfficeParts links to your own home page and not their website...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there! I've totally redone my site to incorporate that we now also do a lot of print design work.

Would you guys let me know what you think of the new design and layout? Thanks!

https://www.overnightlogo.net

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its looking prity slick man! Love the minimalist and consistent use of the color throughout the whole site. Definitely helps to give it a professional/clean yet creative feel (which I guess is exactly what you are after.)

The only thing I would say is to put a bit of work into the images on the home page. Throughout the rest of the site your images and examples of work look great . . . . the circles don't quite fit. Also the images inside the circles are cropped not perfectly. Fore example the title of the website is cut off, and just a little of the next brochure is showing. Perhaps a bit of a vignette or masked blur.

Anway just my 2 cents. haha. Its looking sweet!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new layout is great. Very minimalistic design and great use of accent colors with your grey background.

My biggest critique is that you are losing some of the valuable content on your homepage by having it in an image, a search engine can not find that great text! Consider using a font replacement or a @font-face for some great looking fonts on your page, but using images for text is a no-no!

The W3C Validator has some issues with your markup as well: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...Inline&group=0

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Firstly would just like to say that I thought your website was great, very impressed with the layout.
    There were only a couple of things that I picked up on as negatives which i suggest in my humble opinion needed changing.

Firstly - when I clicked on your blog - it was blank! - i know it wouldnt take long for you to ad a few posts there.

Secondly I saw above that immerse commented "What's the picture of the girl doing there? Seems kinda out of place, to be honest. " - I didnt find this myself when viewing your site, but i did think that the images of mountains on the about us page waskind of out of place.

Also you need to put something on the testimonials page.

I dont know about other people but I tend not to add pages on a new website until they are complete or have some content to avoid it looking unfinished.

Good luck with it though, I think once finished the website will be awesome