SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review our Men's Magazine - Wordpress Site

Please take a look at our site and give us your feedback. Your time is greatly appreciated!

www.egomagonline.com

Cheers,

Michael de Freitas
    Founder/Editor in Chief

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Yeah, not bad. It's pretty clear what the site is for, though personally, I'd like more of an intro on the home page to encourage me to look further. (The current tag line is a tad underwhelming.)

I only read one article. It seems fine, though it's taken from a book; and though the book is cited, I still wonder if you need permission to reproduce content like that. Just wondering.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm...
    I can see what you mean, maybe that is something we can look into changing, and give it more of an impressionable feel.
    Thank you kindly for your feedback!
    As long as we properly site material...and are respectful over the creators rights and aren't using it for any means that are illegal, then it's okay.

SitePoint Mentor silver trophy
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Couple of quick things:
    1/ The page took a long time to load on the first time I visited and I was about to give up.
    2/ Egos top 5 list - need space between the image and start of the text.
    3/ The main page looks to cluttered then you have a white space between whats inside and about ego.
    4/ Some photo links you have black 1px borders around and others you have grey
    5/ I like the way you can close the top black and yellow bar but the button for that is not very promenant.

To be honist I think it looks a mess as I am overwelmed with the quantity of items fighting for my attention.

SitePoint Mentor silver trophy
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Just checked and it takes about 15 seconds to load main page in IE and Firefox and about 6 seconds to get from main page to workout routines

29 errors and 22 warnings according to html tidy.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had you considered colour change when one has mouseover on nav bar etc

I felt I wanted to see less white space
    I WAS hungry to read and see and learn more as the initial feel is excellent
    http://www.egomagonline.com/egomagaz...#axzz246P0Wm3X I felt with the good images presented with clear colour it made the banner and other texts
    look lacking in colour contrast. The banner logo is very modest. Cool yes but I wonder what you can do to highlight it, make it more reflective perhaps. Black is still in I am told
    I found I sometimes missed the very top line ie contact as I was searching at the base then finally found it I was not expecting to see more above the main banner

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Layout looks fine, but there is a problem with some part like ēgō's top 5 List. and Sex & Relationships. thay look like a broke css. Maybe there it's a new site and there is not that much contect or you got to many dublicates on it. Search engines can low your ranks for dublicating the contect on your site.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mentioned: the page loaded REALLY slow, if this is going to be a resource for anyone you need to make sure people can access it very quickly. If I hadn't been looking to review the website I probably wouldn't have let it load all the way.

Here is a great resource for testing speed and seeing what you can change: http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/

The site LOOKS fine but there are a lot of things competing for my attention, I didn't really get anywhere beyond the first page because I'm so overwhelmed with choices. I would strongly advise you to look at what you REALLY need on the front page and take everything else and put it into a resource somewhere else on the website. Paralysis analysis is real, and it's happening on your website.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impressive slow webpage, you should fix it as soon as possible, it should be your first priority. Also, there some html errors, you could fix them as well all. The design is clear, I like it. The content has good quality as well.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually really like the design, just a few points though:

1) As others have said, it is really slow! According to Firebug you're making 4 different jQuery includes which is taking 10 seconds alone. Also the wordpress stats package/linktracker took almost 3 seconds for me.
    2) The blue on the top header... it really doesn't match the rest of the site. Same when you minimise it, and the dropdown is surrounded by blue
    3) The sidebar looks a little disjointed with the content... I'm not sure if there's a lot that can be done about that, but I wonder if it's because there's not much differentiation between the content and sidebar? I mean there's no divider, no background change, no font change, it uses the same headings etc etc

But again, I really like the layout, in particular the navbar has a really nice look and feel to it, nice one

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As everyone has mentioned, yes, the site loads quite slow -- this would be my top priority. Overall, I like the design of the site -- I think it just takes some minor refinment, lining up text, making styles consistent, etc.., to get it really looking good. Some of the pages are cluttered, especially near the bottom, but I suppose this is ok.

"As long as we properly site material...and are respectful over the creators rights and aren't using it for any means that are illegal, then it's okay."
    If the articles are merely copied straight from another source (I'm not sure if they are or aren't), then this statement is not true (well it would be true I guess, because the content useage would be considered illegal). I certainly wouldn't want someone copying my content and making money from it without my permission (this is of course the reason for copyright law). If you're using other sites or books for content and information, but completely rewriting and doing your own research from additional resources, then this is fine and you shouldn't worry about it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made attempts to open your website but unfortunately it is not opening. maybe there is something wrong with the internet and will try after some time

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Avenue is a very famous WP theme but I can say, for a Men Magazine site, the Dark theme and its logo is not going well.

Otherwise, all other things are okay.

- Experienced WordPress Consultant.
    - Get website design done by Anblik Web Design Company.
    - Collection of Top Free Online Website Builder.
    - Collection of Free Online Website Usability Testing Tools.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May want to reconsider some of your keywords
    hope this helps
    falcon

<title>Ego Magazine Online</title> (19 characters)

<meta name="description" content="The Ultimate Web-Zine For Men! A free online guide to sex,
    ftiness, nutrition, fashion, relationships, workouts, health, business, and technology." />
    (156 characters)
    Note: fitness not ftiness

Keywords checked with:
    http://www.keyworddiscovery.com/search.html

sex 22,338
    fitness 2,404
    nutrition 12,559
    fashion - -
    fashion article 1,170
    relationships 183
    workouts 41
    workout 682
    health 22,621
    business 7,357
    Many good Free Tutorials at:
    http://freetutorials.name

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White highlight around the logo is ugly. Other then that it looks good, just lacking more small details to catch the eye.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the site in really great and can only suggest that you keep going with the content. I think your site really could excel at selling mens products. I recommend affiliating or selling some products, it really would fit well with this kind of site!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would make the home page a little more appealing. A lot of content and the subject of the site is very easy to determine. The only thing is that the entire background being white drowns out most of the site. The background is white with black stripes which may help in theory but in actuality it just dulls the page even more. Try adding a little bit of color to the background or chose a different header color asides for black. That is just my personal opinion. Other than that, the site looks great. The comment and view information shows that people are visiting and interacting which bring authenticity to the site. Your subject matter varies which will help attract different levels of your demographic. The banner at the top of the page (which I assume is for advertising purposes) is a little irritating with the blinking content but the user is able to hide it which is a brilliant touch. Again, as is - the site looks great. It has a variety, it has appeal, and it has a following. I would just look at your competition to see what jumps out on their sites. Overall - great concept!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Website takes a little while to load but everything else is stunning including:

layout
    content
    design
    colors
    font
    ect

Kudos