SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minimalist RSS reader web app

I've built an RSS reader that's designed to be readable. It's called Pheedr. I would appreciate some feedback.

http://pheedr.net

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Looks OK to me, but there's no obvious explanation of how it works, which always ensures that I'll leave and forget all about it. Some people, like me, need to be taken by the hand and shown around. An intro video about how it works etc. would be nice, or a brief explanation on the home page with a read more link, perhaps.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though I am not quite sure what the aim of the site is, but your target for minimalist functionality is reached. I quite like "to the point" sites without many frills, so thumbs up there.
    Not a great fan of fixed width 3 column design at any time, and especially disappointing for this setup in terms of look and feel. I'd say a bit more personal touch in that respect would improve the visitor experience.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Aesthetics are good however the overall design doesn't work as I do not know where to look when I come onto the page, there is nothing that draws my eye and no calls to action, your on the right track but you need to make the purpose more obvious.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, at least for me load times were slow, and when i tried to register the page http://pheedr.net/register.php failed completely the first time. Might want to check out the load on the server or something, perhaps look at the logs, or any stats you have running on the server?

Then after registering I am not auto logged in. That's like being back in the 90's or something Then I logged in and had to click a link to redirect me, again feels like being in the early days of the internet. Same thing if i try and go to my page, i select it in the drop down then have to click a link. This is really not a nice user experience.

Then to add feeds there is no validation of the feeds. I can add complete garbage urls or completely missing urls and it doesnt give me any feedback, happily accepting any thing i give it.

Seems like there are a tonne of bugs here... you need to iron them all out before you even think of getting any users.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks good but the loading time is not so good, probably, because of many big images. Also, you should increase the number of feeds.
    Good luck with your site. Competition is here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with ralph.m on this one, if you had not explained it to us initially, I wouldn't really know what it was all about or how to use it.
    Other than it saying "RSS Reader / Aggregator" on the top right..
    The site works well, but is a bit boring to be honest, there's no real reason for a user to come back and carry on using it. I think an intro video would help a million fold!
    Statvoo.com The Website Traffic Monitor
    The best way to monitor traffic to your sites for free!

Web Development London UK We make web 3.0 applications

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    OK guys. Seems like the OP is long gone, so let's close this now.