SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question MySQL Full text search

Hi

I was going through this tutorial about full text search.

I ran the following query and it worked:

Code:
    SELECT entryID,title
    FROM blog_entries
    WHERE MATCH (title,entry) AGAINST('mother');
    But when I ran the following, it didnot work:

Code:
    SELECT entryID,title
    FROM blog_entries
    WHERE MATCH (title,entry) AGAINST('vacation');
    Can someone please explain me why as the word "vacation" is already there in the "entry" column in entryID 3?

Many thanks in advance

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    how many rows are in your table?
    r937.com | rudy.ca | Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 rows

Utopia, Inc. silver trophy
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Assuming you used the exact data used in the example you're pointing to, the problem seems to be that for this dataset 3 out of 4 rows contain the word "vacation", which effectively makes it a stop word for MySQL and thus it ignores it. From http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...language.html:

The search result is empty because the word “MySQL” is present in at least 50% of the rows. As such, it is effectively treated as a stopword. For large data sets, this is the most desirable behavior: A natural language query should not return every second row from a 1GB table. For small data sets, it may be less desirable.
    You should either add more rows so the word "vacation" falls below 50% overall, or do the query in boolean mode.

Code sql:
    SELECT
       entryID
     , title
    FROM
       blog_entries
    WHERE
       MATCH (title, entry)
       AGAINST ('vacation' IN BOOLEAN MODE);
    Rémon - Hosting Advisor

Minimal Bookmarks Tree
    My Google Chrome extension: browsing bookmarks made easy

Utopia, Inc. silver trophy
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cancer10 View Post
    4 rows
    It would be more helpful if you'd post all the data for a more thorough inspection, i.e.

Code:
    entryID      posted  categoryID  title          entry                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
    -------  ----------  ----------  -------------  ----------------------------------------------------------
          1  1050942000           1  About miester  I was born in michigan in 1980 in a small town called Adrian.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
                                                             My mother is named Sue, while my father is named Mike.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
                                                             They currently live in a small town called East Jordan. On April                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
                                                             27th, 2003 I will graduate from Eastern Michigan University with a                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
                                                             degree in Computer Information Systems.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
          2  1050942000           2  Today at work  While I was at work today I was having some problems                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
                                                            with the RAID array. It seems that we have a rogue cron script that                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
                                                            is causing problems. When I find out more info I will post it here.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
          3  1050942000           1  Vacation!      After I graduate I am taking a 2 week vacation. On my                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
                                                             agenda is a trip to Washington DC to see my girlfriend's sister                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
                                                             as well as throwing a few discs at the local disc golf course.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
          4  1050942000           1  Vacation!      I have had a horrible cold for the last few days. Today I drank a                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
                                                             revive vitamin water with 150% of my daily dose of vitamin C. That                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
                                                             should help things out.
    Just sayin'
    Rémon - Hosting Advisor

Minimal Bookmarks Tree
    My Google Chrome extension: browsing bookmarks made easy

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScallioXTX View Post
    Assuming you used the exact data used in the example you're pointing to, the problem seems to be that for this dataset 3 out of 4 rows contain the word "vacation", which effectively makes it a stop word for MySQL and thus it ignores it. From http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...language.html: [...]
    Thanks for the reply. That helped me understand the actual issue.

Thanks again
    Last edited by ScallioXTX; Aug 11, 2012 at 05:35. Reason: fixed quote