User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Music Site Recommendations

I run a music/MIDI site at http://midibuddy.net

I've been reading up around here and with 5k hits a day I should be pulling in way more than I am just with affiliates and advertising.

What am I doing wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Site you got there. Seems like you're using Focusin? Are they paying well? Also did you try joining fastclick or burst?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks (vB rawks!)

Focusin sucks and has sucked for a while. (they were cool when they were datacom) They recently were bought out by mamma.com (I think) so there might be some improvement down the line. I don't host their banners on the board pages because they're all popups. My members constantly complain when popups are all over. I'm getting just over $50 a month with focusin

Unfortunately I've tried every other advertiser out there. I just signed up with fastclick yesterday and I was rejected. I've tried burst before also.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of points. Firstly, FocusIN are a bit of a nightmare - exceedingly low rates and full screen popunders (and popups I believe). Unfortunately, you aren't going to have too many other choices.

Secondly, almost no-one these days will advertise on messageboards, especially ad networks. They don't want to be associated with what could be written - basically you need to be responsible for the content on which ads are shown.

Lastly, the first thing I read on your site was about copyright issues. Most ad networks and affiliate programs will also not get involved in advertising on a site that is breaking the law. I have no idea if you are or not but it doesn't matter - the advertisers will not advertise if this could be an issue.

I'm not sure that I have any answers - what are the demographics of your visitors? Just guessing, I would say they are young so therefore don't have credit cards. This means pay per sale affiliate program are ruled out because your visitors aren't going to buy anything (as I said, just guessing). Perhaps the only thing you could do is sign up for an affiliate network such as ClickXchange which has pay per click advertisers and spread some text links around. Make sure you read all the fine print for each advertiser to make sure that you don't break their rules.

Sorry I couldn't be more positive.
    Sean Burns
    WebmastersReference.com - Submit your resources, affiliate programs, scripts and hosting plans.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never really thought about the whole message board thing. The copyright stuff does make sense though. There potentially could be a problem in the future with this. This is why I also sell files through the site. The page setup with the affiliate is not as clean as I'd like it to be. It uses frames and it's ugly.

I just ran a query on my database and of my almost 10k members the average age is 26.61. So 27... That's about what I guessed to begin with. So they do have credit cards.

The market I would like to get more into is ringtones. Everyone has a cell phone. Even if a user doesn't have a credit card they can call a 900 number... But again, the affiliation I have setup is not as clean as it could be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site, however it instantly asked me to download Gator...bad...

You may have trouble getting good advertisers due to the illegal nature of unlicensed MIDI files.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by robhoran
    Nice site, however it instantly asked me to download Gator...bad...
    Yeh, I have one 'banner' on the main page. That's Focusin for ya...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I used Focusin in when they were with Datacom. I dropped them as soon as i saw their rates freefall. Do they let you choose whether you have popups or not? What are their current CPC/CPM rates for banners?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been with them since datacom was new. I've just never been accepted to another ad company. You can 'request' not to have popups/unders but they basically say 'please, we need them!' and don't honor your request.

Current averages are:
    • 468x60 banners:
    • CPM - $0.12
    • CPC - $0.04

• Popup/Under:
    • CPM - $0.29
    • CPC - $0.12

Horrible!!! I remember when CPM campaigns were $2!!

Last month I had over half a million impressions (only on half of my site, remember) that generated $63.28.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried affiliate programs such as Amazons? Surely with 5k hits a day you'd end up making over $63.28 in a month & pop-up/under free! And I believe that you would be able to show the Amazon banners in your forums too.

BTW: Nice site you got their.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh, I have amazon on one part of the site. I haven't gotten much return. I might try moving them around a little.

Glad you like the site . I recently changed the colors to that blue/red combo from green/light red

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn the Popup/under rates are terrible!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually musician / business man

Hello.
    Well, actualy I am also a musician. :-)

Try the ebook that I offer on my site for free. It will explain the affiliate and the marketing weapons that you might want to use.
    With 5K hits, you can make a lot.
    Here you go.
    [advisor edit: self promotion is not allowed]
    Last edited by Jeremy W.; Dec 13, 2002 at 09:49.