SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought? I only got started around Sept 99 that's only a year ago, wow! anyway it's now my full-time job and should be for a very long time. How about the rest of you?
    Adam Turner adamturner@onlinenetworks.uk.com
    Free Web Tools at HomepageTools.com
    $15 Domains at HomepageNames.com

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I started to build my first website about 2 years ago and I have never looked back since. I don't have a copy of it anymore but I can remember it was very bad. It is still mainly a hobby for me as I am a full-time student but I have made a bit of money out of it.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started learning how to make websites in 1995 using notepad and Netscape 2.0 . I was so happy when Netscape Gold came out with its little HTML editor

So I'd say I've been in the webmastering business for about 5 years. whew.. I feel old

Back in MY day.. there was no such thing as a WYSIWYG editor! We had to write our code entirely by hand, in three feet of snow, uphill both ways!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to remember..I think it's about 3 years. My son was still in high school, I think, and joined a working band. I'd taken one online HTML course, but didn't really know anything at all. I kind of overlooked that fact and offered to do a site for them anyway. It didn't really go all that badly, considering. Then a friend who was a musician asked me to do one for him. I wouldn't for quite a while, but after I felt I'd learned enough I went ahead. One thing led to another and I've got a bunch of them, but it's still a hobby thing for me too, although I have done been paid for a couple as well. I also work on the intranet where I work and get to do some HTML drone work for the company web sites sometimes, as well as performing some minor administrative tasks on them. I think I'm going to try to get the web and HTML drone work full time if there's an opening in the near future.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha Sparkie. The good 'ol "back in the day" stories.

I have been a webmaster since May 8, 1997. I remember the excact date because it's my birthday. So many things have happened in that time. I help people with their designs, listen to people complain, and that sort of stuff.

---------------
    Stuart Briscar
    wware.net
    gaming-spawn.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Fletch
    Hi,

I started to build my first website about 2 years ago and I have never looked back since. I don't have a copy of it anymore but I can remember it was very bad. It is still mainly a hobby for me as I am a full-time student but I have made a bit of money out of it.
    That's pretty much the same scenario for me. I started back with Sports Central in August 1998 and I'm still at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first ever site I built was 3 years ago : http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/6528 and I did it all with Notepad. That is the only tool I have used to code pages (except for the occasional EditPad...
    Steve Caponetto - [profile] [e-mail]
    CreedFeed.com - feed your need for Creed!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've known HTML for about 5 years (when I was 10) but I wasn't serious about making sites until about 2 years ago.

At first I started just to know something that no one else my age knew, but then I found out that I was not the only one and there were other people doing the same as I so I kind of worked harder.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first website was in 1994/5 when I first got on the net.
    It was about what all 10yr old kids start off in... It was mainly links and stuff.

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sparkie

Back in MY day.. there was no such thing as a WYSIWYG editor! We had to write our code entirely by hand, in three feet of snow, uphill both ways!
    Sorry for the incredably useless reply but that made me laugh and I had to congratulate Sparkie on it. YOu get 5 big grins for that .

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made my first site about 2 years ago, I do remember the URL, but I am not prepared to give it out
    The site was bad, and I will probably take it down soon.
    I used AOL Creator (or whatever it was called) to make the site, as in those days I used AOL. Then I learnt HTML and do all my coding in Notepad and EditPlus now...I would never use a WYSIWYG editor again.

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started back in 1995 when I was around 9 or 10 years of age. I used Personal Publisher by AOL. I then graduated to AOLPress, then I started using Notepad...

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also started when I was 9 or 10...

I used GeoCities (yuck!) to build my first site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was 12 when I started.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow.. 5 big grins! I feel so.. loved

My first site was called Watch the Sparks Fly! and was a furry art site on GeoPities. One of these days I'll resurrect it...

Which reminds me.. Did I ever tell you about the time I had to code a site entirely by hand and walk uphill both ways in three feet of snow??

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sparkie
    Hell Yes!

I made my first site some 6 or so years ago. I was in 7th grade, now I'm in college. Its been a long time, I remember when frames were the hot new thing. But professionally I've only been doing it about 2 years, basically it was always a hobby then I realized I could make good money doing it.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 years.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been creating websites since I was 9 (I think), so that'd be 1994. My very first site is no longer on the net, and I remeber what it was, but I'm not gonna tell anyone (it was more than just links...). Wow. 6 years. I remeber it all like it was just yesterday (Insert little wavy lines that signify a flashback here...) I was young, and still had a life offline. I learned HTML but as soon as AOLPress came out I started using that. I couldn't figure out what FTP was, what it stood for, or how it worked. It was all so complicated. (That's the end of my reminicing for today.)

::Sigh::

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, some of you start very, very young!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great you all started so young. Back in my day when I was at school I didn't even know the internet existed!!! Showing my age now...(24). So I only started with it when I was 21, that's old to a lot of you I know.

How long do you all think you'll be in the business? myself indefinatley.
    Adam Turner adamturner@onlinenetworks.uk.com
    Free Web Tools at HomepageTools.com
    $15 Domains at HomepageNames.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    12 years. I used to be the webmaster for Sun Microsystems, but then I thought that the web would never make it so I quit that job...(if only I had known).

I now work for Sun, and 123webmaster.com

Isaac
    [www.disegno.com]www.disegno.com[/url] -Coming Soon
    isaccofedele@yahoo.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I created my first website in 1995 when i was 13 years old (i am 18 now) and I remember when flashing text was very in style I do have my first site on disk somewhere, but i am not about to go put it back on the net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made my first site sometime around November 99 using the Homestead Editor, man it was lame.

Now I'm learning about PHP and databases, how times change...
    russell.cz.cc - coming soon (I promise!)

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made my first site, "The Pirate's Home Page" for my brother and dad's little league baseball team (no, nothing to do with software or music piracy ). That was, oh about Feb or March 1999. I learned Perl around late August 99, and then HTML a month later. ... I'd say I came a long way since then, personally..

I hope to be in the technology industry all my life. Well I'd like to retire some day, but you know what I mean...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Isaac
    12 years. I used to be the webmaster for Sun Microsystems, but then I thought that the web would never make it so I quit that job...(if only I had known).

I now work for Sun, and 123webmaster.com

OUCH...that sucks

I started in sixth grade, so let me count...I was 11. I am now 14 and going into 9th grade so about three years. I have come SO far though in about the last year. Right now I am at MySQL and PHP. I remember my first site. It was gonna be the competitor with yahoo. Right. That is why I bought jumpthru. like jumpthru to the site you want as in a search engine. But now its kind of a weird domain but i like it so jumpthru design i guess.

d3v you only satrts last year? wow.