SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trouble locating FTP files that contain errors

I am in the process of repairing website page errors with the use of http://validator.w3.org. The problem that I am experiencing is that since my site was built in php, I am having a difficulty trying to find which files contain the identified errors when validating pages. It doesn't appear that http://validator.w3.org identifies the specific files where the errors exist. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could remedy this situation? Thanks.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy chris.upjohn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The easiest way to find errors in this situation is to look at the line number that the validator returns then find that when you view the page source (Ctrl + U in most browsers) which will give you a much better idea of the specific HTML causing the issue, another thing to try would be to disable sections of code until it validates but that really isn't a viable solution if you have a lot of core files been included.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another tip I use, insert new lines (one at a time preferably) in parts of the code and see if the error moves down a line. If it moves down, the error is after the new line, if it stays where it is it is before or in a different file.
    LiveScript: Putting the "Live" Back into JavaScript
    if live output_as_javascript else output_as_html end if

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markdidj View Post
    Another tip I use, insert new lines (one at a time preferably) in parts of the code and see if the error moves down a line. If it moves down, the error is after the new line, if it stays where it is it is before or in a different file.
    I backed up my FTP folder onto my computer and used Notepad to locate the appropriate files with errors and it worked like a charm.