User Tag List

Thread: Client Tracking

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Client Log

Hi all! I am not sure if this is where i want to post this question or not, but here i go. I was wondering what programs everyone uses to keep track of client information. Such as domain expirations, contact details, and anything else that could go along with hosting and webdesign information.

Thanks for any responses.

Dave
    Last edited by webcity; Dec 9, 2002 at 09:09.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well there are probably a few options

1. Microsoft Outlook - If you are using this the contact section is able to contain a lot of the info you want to store and i think there is a way to add more feilds and the likes at least in the 2000 version there is so i would imagine 2002 would as well.

2. If you know how to use Access probably the best idea is to develop your own databse it probably doesnt have to be really nice looking to start off but doing it this way is going to give you a better oppertunity to fine tune it to exactly what you want to hold and give you the best oppertunity to expand it in the future.

3. There is a product that is called GoldMine that is supposed to be a very full feature yet inexpensive(not sure on price) the link i could find is http://www.frontrange.com/goldmine/

Othere wise here are probably your two best bets at google searches CRM Software Contact Management Software

Hope that this has given you a bit of an idea in what you are looking for or helped you out.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the post! I am currently using a database that I have created in Microsoft Access. I just was kind of curious what everyone else was using. I thought maybe there was something better that more people out there are using to manage their client information. Thanks for your response!!

Dave

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there are probably better products out there then like you say a database. But (assuming here) if you are a small business 90% of the "better products" probably cost way to much money. You also need to really be able to justify the time to work out which package is right for you and really i dont think it is worth it. Where as with a database like you are using it just makes it so much easier you have a cutom built product that fits your needs exactly and doesnt cost a fortune to have something modified if you want to change it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "Client tracking" usually falls into the realm of Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems such as Peoplesoft or SalesLogix. However, for a small shop these software packages are WAY out of reach (usually involves teams of 10-20 people, many months of work, and huge budgets), so the best solution (as others have said) is either to use Outlook or Evolution if you're keeping it simple, or just roll your own custom CRM.

--Vinnie

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also there are several freeware or shareware "Contact Management" programs that could work.

For awhile I used one to keep all client details in it, which even logged calls, topics of conversation, projects, etc. Many have a neat little calendar where you can add in birthdays/anniversaries/etc which I used for domain dates, hosting contract dates, etc.
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you tell me the name of it - have been looking around

Quote Originally Posted by Steelsun
    Also there are several freeware or shareware "Contact Management" programs that could work.

For awhile I used one to keep all client details in it, which even logged calls, topics of conversation, projects, etc. Many have a neat little calendar where you can add in birthdays/anniversaries/etc which I used for domain dates, hosting contract dates, etc.
    Sounds like a good program - can you tell me the name of it and where I can get it please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    with godaddy you can consolidate all your domains to expire on the same day..easy to keep track of this way.
    LED Scroller Generator | Arcade Top List
    Myspace Layouts |
    Looking for quality Myspace link exchanges, PM for more info

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I dont think the owner of this thread will be coming back since it was made in Dec 2002

Anyway, I can speak for Sugar CRM. It is a web based application but comes with a Launcher (temporary Apache/PHP/MySQL server) so you can run it like normal software. Its been great for contact management for me.