regards
    Sheila Gray

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Hi Sheila. Welcome to the forums.

I wonder what the real aim of this site is. The first thing I notice on viewing the site it the Google ads under each main title, which is a bit turnoff for me. It makes the site look like an advertising cash cow rather than a site with useful information. And the opeining text on the home page is pretty banal, which doesn't help, either:

Home improvement is very much needed once in a while. Whether it is to fix some problem of broken furniture, ceiling, or some other problem, or whether it is for a change of pace. You will get tired of seeing something in the same place for several years. That is why home improvement is your solution in getting rid of the boredom. Not only that, home improvement could also be your way of channeling your creativity and art sense.
    And other pages start with stuff like this:

Vanities for bathrooms become an obligation for every bathroom. It is designed with many shapes based on the function of it. There is wood, marble, glass or stone that you can choose for your vanities material. Nowadays there are a lot of styles of vanities that are offered such as the traditional style, modern style and also vintage style. ...
    It would be better to put something really informative and challenging there, rather than fluff like this. (I hope I don't seem to harsh! I'm trying to be constructive. ) But anyone interested in home improvement wants to cut to the chase and get some useful info. The first few paragraphs I read on various pages was of no use, which means I won't hang around long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    Hi Sheila. Welcome to the forums.

I wonder what the real aim of this site is. The first thing I notice on viewing the site it the Google ads under each main title, which is a bit turnoff for me. It makes the site look like an advertising cash cow rather than a site with useful information. And the opeining text on the home page is pretty banal, which doesn't help, either:

And other pages start with stuff like this:

It would be better to put something really informative and challenging there, rather than fluff like this. (I hope I don't seem to harsh! I'm trying to be constructive. ) But anyone interested in home improvement wants to cut to the chase and get some useful info. The first few paragraphs I read on various pages was of no use, which means I won't hang around long.
    thank you for the constructive critic ralph, I will improve my writing skill and my knowledge at home improvement things...I love to learn

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a good job for a newbie Keep trying to improve and you'll be past newbie stage in no time.
    One thing that really sticks out for me is the width of the content div. Perhaps widen it as it seems very narrow. As a guide, the optimal length of a line of text is about 66 characters. Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PicNet View Post
    This is a good job for a newbie Keep trying to improve and you'll be past newbie stage in no time.
    One thing that really sticks out for me is the width of the content div. Perhaps widen it as it seems very narrow. As a guide, the optimal length of a line of text is about 66 characters. Good luck
    thanks a lot PicNet, i'm still so green at the world of internet, i don't understand web design and the other stuff about coding....thank you for the critic about the page content design, I hope i can do something about this^^

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More attention to detail as the choice of font that will be very good!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Design Brasilia View Post
    More attention to detail as the choice of font that will be very good!
    thank you, but it's the matter for me because i don't understand the web design at all...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can add solar panel,gardening,interior.....to look better

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its quite good for a newbie i must admit.
    Reminds me of decent newspaper websites (which is good)

There are few problems though, mostly usability — too little content appears on the screen and its hard to grasp whats going on.
    — Make it 960px scaling to 1280 on bigger monitors
    — Need at least 2-3 rows of content and organize content better. See http://www.time.com/time/ — notice those featured articles, editors picks, featured headlines, lots of small images etc. It makes it easier and more fun to navigate
    — Dont start your main content block with adwords it makes user a sad panda really

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For your website

Who says its not worth it. Actually its too good . nice tips.

Quote Originally Posted by AcoNKfast View Post
    Please give me critic and review for my website
    sorry if my website not too worth to review for you all
    I'm newbie after all
    this is my website
    http://www.homeimprovementdirectories.com/

thank you dude
    regards
    Sheila Gray

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're using wordpress you can find much better theme for your website, more then this you can find a lot of responsive design themes. Look you got only 390px for contect (you got small pics and it's so uncomfortable to read) and you got 2 useless sidebars with info that is not necessary. Your theme should be easy to read and navigate. Don't copy contect to footer. Don't forget social sharing buttons on each article, you can find them as a wordpress plugin. If you got some questions feel free to pm me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea is to find new and creative ways of home improvement that is best possible through mutual discussion and consultation. I am of the belief that this kind of forum is very helpful in expanding one's horizon about home improvement

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My review

The header is far to plain in my opinion. A logo and banner design would go really well with this site and of course I am sure you are in the process of building a lot more content as it is really quite lacking on content for the kind of site this is. Personally I came up with an idea for your home page and you might think it a good idea also. Envision your front page being a layout of a property and as you hover over the room labelled "bedroom" for example, you get directed to you bedroom section. I think this would be an awesome second form of navigation on your site and would really make it interesting.
    P.s. This was a genuine idea and not something I have seen before so I do not know if anyone else is playing with this little idea.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that you did a very good job for beginner at web design. Here are some tips to improve your website: First of all your webpage should be bigger in width because there is too much empty space. Another point is that you need a good, big and really attractive logo for your brand name, it is something important for your design.
    Furthermore, I don’t really like your google adsense advertisement (and every advertisement) in the top and central of your page, it is the first think that the visitor can see. For me is bad impression, because it is better to promote your content than your advertisements. If a visitor like your content and website then he or she will stay more and see the advertisement and maybe click on advertisements. So, keep walking, you did a really nice job as a new webmaster and you learn more and finally can do more and better.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of us use to read articles, others, just look at images, logos and ads...
    In my opinion, the content is most important thing.
    Nice job. I enjoyed to read your tips.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To do well on the internet requires software and how to use it. It is very difficult to do the required tasks manually.
    First you need a good HTML editor (better combination HTML and CSS). Then you need to build a template or obtain one
    for the site (best a CSS template) many free ones available. Then add HTML content. If you will be working with
    pictures or images, you will need a good photo editor. Then you will need a good website analyzer to check the website.
    Also a good accessibility corrector (or editor) helps. Then analytics to analyze traffic.
    You can start with free ones then after you know your needs, upgrade to the commercial ones.
    My site was made and maintained with free software. It has obtained 1st page Google. You can do the same.
    Do not underestimate the value of free software (for those who are not affluent). Software is expensive.
    -
    a free HTML Editor Alleycode
    http://alleycode.com/ (you need to scroll to the bottom of the page to get past the advertisements, very annoying).
    a free Photo Editor Photo Pos Pro
    http://photopos.com/
    It has more ability than you would expect
    -
    hope this helps
    falcon
    Many good Free Tutorials at:
    http://freetutorials.name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Home improvement Tips and Tricks" is very useful for internet users. What you need to do - You just update your blog regular basis.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the layout. Great Job. Keep it up.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are showing only google ads.You have pasted google adsense code 04 times in your home page .This is not user friendly.This shows that you actual aim is just for click on ads and earning money.

SitePoint Enthusiast CreativeConcepts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Sheila,

First of all I'd like to say that every website is good enough to review, everybody has to learn.
    Also I will write this review before reading the other comments to make sure it's my independent feedback.

The first thing you could work on is the lay-out/design
    - Content and Ads are mixed together, it's hard to see what you need to read and what you need to avoid.
    I imagine you have set it up that way to make money. But I assure you if you make it look better people will trust it more and you will make more.

- Also add more colours and images to the website to make it more alive. This will hold visitors their interest longer.

The second thing you could work on is the typography
    - Your posts are not always written according to the rules of good typography. Maybe learn a bit about this. It's important because your writing is your content and it will represent you website.

I hope this helped you a bit,
    Milan

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it! Great start. Good layout. Very clean look which matches your segment well.

My few suggestions...

- Logo, get a good looking logo. Maybe pay for a nice one on elance or odesk.
    - Background. Empliment a nice image or a background that really makes the page "pop"
    - The ads, not bad. But some people may thing "spam" when the first thing they see is Adsense.

I will probably thing of more, but overall I think its a GREAT start. Keep it up...

Oh, and learn "Firebug" and CSS if you dont already know it. Google it. Tons of videos.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Home Improvement Directories

<title>Home Improvement Directories</title>

"Outdoor Area" has a nice dropdown menu that would do well in other areas also
    Like: Bathroom, Bedroom, Kitchen, Living Room
    Areas to consider: Finishes (staining, painting, etc), special finishes,
    Like simulated granet (for counter tops), wood flooring (or simulated wood),
    directions on how to do (with step by step pictures - can be obtained from
    manufacturer).
    -
    hope this helps
    falcon
    Many good Free Tutorials at:
    http://freetutorials.name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greggootz View Post
    I like it! Great start. Good layout. Very clean look which matches your segment well.

My few suggestions...

- Logo, get a good looking logo. Maybe pay for a nice one on elance or odesk.
    - Background. Empliment a nice image or a background that really makes the page "pop"
    - The ads, not bad. But some people may thing "spam" when the first thing they see is Adsense.

I will probably thing of more, but overall I think its a GREAT start. Keep it up...

Oh, and learn "Firebug" and CSS if you dont already know it. Google it. Tons of videos.
    Agreed with you. Everything is ok but Google ads are give some minus impact to your website, This is my personal opinion.