User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comments please for online print store.

Hi,

We've just launched an online print store at www.rocksolidprint.co.uk and would welcome feedback please.

We're getting about 40 visitors a day, mainly from google Adwords, but people just aren't buying.

Any comments on what we're doing wrong greatly appreciated.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Hi OllyB. Welcome to the forums.

I like your site design. Looks very professional. I tried to look at it from the point of view of a potential customer (as I have been a print customer in the past). I'm not sure the prominent slide show promotes your cause all that well (but then I'm a bit against these as a rule now anyway). What I'd prefer to see it the intro text moved up to the top, in much larger type, saying simply what you do ("we are printers") and then listing what kind of printing you do, with a link to each kind of printing. Yes, you do have this featured in other ways on the home page, but my eye wandered a lot at first, trying to find bearings, all the same.

When I clicked on things like LEAFLETS & FLYERS, I saw prices for each kind of service ... but my mind is thinking—Hey, I haven't told you how many copies I want, so how can you know it's 22.00? That doesn't really make sense to me.

There may just be too many options on the page—such as upload a file etc. I'd probably leave that till later in the process. I'd just like to know what sort of printing you do and get a sense of how much it might cost, given the number of copies I wanted.

I hope that gives you some small insight into the customer's viewpoint.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just a superb effort. Looking just very professional. Customers can really get advantage from this site. Nice effort this is...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think it is a decent-looking website. It will not win any design awards. But as far as effective business communication goes, I thought it was pretty good. Visitors can find out right away what you do with prices. Some websites make you hunt around to find out what they do or what it costs. Not this site.

As far as what may be wrong, maybe you could ask your visitors what they think?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your site and on the business launch! I probably wouldn't expect to see a lot of conversions yet with just 40 visitors a day. Many visitors need to think about it, come back to the site, and "rinse and repeat" that process a few times before they make a buying decision with a new company.

I think you have too much on the home page. It's not cluttered, but there's a lot to look at, so it's hard to focus. I'll throw some recommendations out for you to try, and also recommend that you create a couple of different versions of a new home page, take screen shots of them, and go to Five Second Test and get some user preferences (people can click on the screenshot they like better), in addition to posting here and asking around.

I would re-consider having your Nav menu buttons, categories, welcome, cart, and other text in italics. It gives a sense of motion, when what you want is clarity.

You might be better off with a little more red padding around your logo, or make the name smaller. It blends with the other text at the moment--it's competing with informational text instead of standing out as something memorable. Is that font too generic for the logo? (I like the solid "solid" part, btw)

I think the cart section should have the same gray as the categories section, instead of having a red background. The red draws your attention to the cart, and looking at an empty cart doesn't make you want to buy more. Your cart icon is easy to find at the top, so there's no danger potential clients won't find it.

I wonder what would happen if you shortened the slideshow by half or a third, giving you extra space above the fold for more information--either 3 featured products or a short description of your company that invites people to stay and look around (see more below). I also wonder if you wouldn't be better served by featuring your menu of product categories with photos instead of the slideshow.

I'm thinking that in your categories box should be labeled "Products" instead, and I think it might need to be a top menu item with dropdown options instead of a sidebar (provided you include some inviting pictures that get people to click toward the product pages). Even if it's redundant and you keep the sidebar of product types, it seems odd not to have products as an option in the top nav menu.

Your description of your company below the fold is fine, but it isn't as memorable as it could be. I think it has too much detail for a home page--some of that is really meant for the "About" page. I would list what you offer (printing x,y,z, and more, design services, etc.) and then use another sentence to talk about what makes your company special (fast turnaround, excellent quality, reasonable prices --although these are all good to say, they seem a little generic, so if you can find a more personable or specific way to describe it, so much the better). I'd leave the rest of the sentences out--the last bit about signing up for the newsletter could be a graphic option (button) at the bottom of the page (or at least make it a link in the text that's there).

I understand the desire to showcase as many products as possible, but I think six featured products is too many. Try a version that just has three. I also wonder if your Top Sellers side menu is competing with your featured products menu, and whether one might be more effective than the other. If you go with just the Top Sellers option, I would add pictures of the items to the text--it's more "clickable."

Oh--just now found the newsletter sign-up. It's kind of hidden. It might be a good idea to put that toward the bottom when users who have read all the way to the end of the home page are deciding what to do next.

Your featured products are logically organized and neatly aligned--they don't look offensive, but they're not attracting attention, either. The PayPal and FSB graphics actually compete with the products. "View" is also eye-catching (that seems good, but you want the product to be more noticeable), and it could just be a text link in small print underneath each item, without the dark gray bar. I'm glad you linked the pictures directly to the products, too. I would recommend you de-italicize the product titles. I wonder if it would work better to use the gray bar for each product name?

On your products page where it says "please do get in touch for a personalised quote," that should be a text link to your contact information, instead of making the user look for it.

I don't think you're too far from where you want to be--I think you just need to make several small changes that will work together to get you to a cleaner look with a clearer call to action. Your colors look nice together, and you've taken time to be sure the site is easy to read and that users can find what they're looking for. Good luck!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a pretty cool site!

Do mind me asking the platform/technologies/software you have used?

Brigzy
    <snip>
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Aug 6, 2012 at 08:19. Reason: Please wait 90 days for a real signature

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a learner, hard for me to add more comments about web design, as it mentioned, it did job. I do hope i can do my part.
    1. I agree small logo as mentioned by J in Calgary
    2. need to scroll horizon to see on my 1024*640 screen
    3. i need to click 2 times before I can add items to cart, view->add, would it be better with one click or tell people view to buy or before buy on the button.
    4. didn't test on other browers but firefox, suppose CMS take control all those
    5. loading a little slow on my PC (o2 provider in Edinburgh), item to cart wasn't smooth enough
    6. hope you can find your edge to compete with printing or moo.com online
    7. help with Google Analytic when you have more traffic.
    8. did you do enough work or give information to make people feel safe to provide their personal information?

all the best.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks very professional. You should promote your brand name like Amazon.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should promote your site by social media sites just find relevant people on that and share your knowledge with them, make friends and let them know what you are doing and in that wayyou can get good clients worldwide.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Professional design, very nice, nothing to fix!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the design with attractive images and catalogs.

Nothing to be changed from my side. All the best
    Expand Your Business Opportunities !!
    http://www.zubera.co.in
    Solution to grow your business faster ...
    http://www.zuberacorp.info

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Job OllyB I appreciate your work . The Site layout is perfect & it's good look !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it looks quite good. If I had to give a criticism it would be that there may be too much going on on the page. It may be a bit overwhelming to the only marginally interested viewer. Perhaps you could simplify it, text-wise.