User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted S View Post
    However I'd suggest that driving traffic from social should rarely be the first goal.
    Thanks for your response Ted...

This line is what I am talking about. Moreover, when there is a event of some kind, such as a meet or a webinar, which requires instant advertisement, social media can be a better source. But ultimately when you have a website that is well projected on SERP, promoting events too will not be a tough task. Just a banner on the homepage or the page that is ranked would do the task.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timesheet View Post
    Thanks for your response Ted...

This line is what I am talking about. Moreover, when there is a event of some kind, such as a meet or a webinar, which requires instant advertisement, social media can be a better source. But ultimately when you have a website that is well projected on SERP, promoting events too will not be a tough task. Just a banner on the homepage or the page that is ranked would do the task.
    I'm not sure I follow...

Social and search are completely different animals. One is about a base of followers and their extended reach out, the other is about what people seek in. Neither solves every possible situation on its own.

Taking your events example sure you could work to rank your site for location + field + event but that assumes most people are out searching for events in your space. They're not. People put search into this silo and the "search = marketing" myth grows but in reality only a small fraction of an addressable market is in consideration or activation modes where they'd go out looking [searching]. To reach the majority you have to push into their radar and while social offers the chance to do that through trusted, almost pull means.

Thus back to Sega's original post, you win when you diversify yourself.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SEO & Social media are certainly different animals.

SEO remains unchanged; it's still as important as ever to do it... but the problem is more are doing it better, and when that happens it becomes 'the norm', and fewer stand out. Google then raises the bar and uses actual 'on-site content' and 'off-site linked content' (eg articles, etc) to assess relevance to the search phrase used. Certain parts of SEO have much less relevant, if not all together dead.

Facebook has great potential, but again the rules are changing. My FB page receives an average of between 7% to 10% of likes per post (eg 7-10% of the fans 'like' each post on avg). Regardless of this, what I'm noticing is FB is steadily and systematically reducing the number of viewers that actually get to see the posts; regardless if they are high likers or not. Obviously this is all about setting up for advertising revenue; but that could easily be the killing the golden goose!

Content is still king, either on-site or off-site. Carefully written articles placed on the right sites, and marketed via SEO & FB still does the job. At the end of the day; Google puts people in front or relevant content.
    Last edited by Ted S; Sep 26, 2012 at 19:57. Reason: URL Removed

Mouse catcher silver trophy
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

I think this sums up where a lot of people feel social media marketing lets itself down...
    168226.strip.gif

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I like Facebook, Stumbled Upon and Youtube (i like Youtube the most). As you say Sega, Social Media optimization is kind of the new search engine optimization;I think that's good for a e-commerce site. They need visitors and customers. But in my opinion, it won't help for SEO aspects as improve PRs. It's just for Sale purposes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sega View Post
    SEO just isn't what it used to be, saying that, many prospects have not clocked on to this basic fact.

Like mentioned SEO changed and now those off-page tricks, simply don't work any more. We've now entered an age where you cannot trick search engines and on-page optimization has evolved dramatically giving more focus onto the on page factors. As this is said, the only way I can think of to increase web traffic is with social media optimization.

I was thinking of having in a social media pack to clients, so we can increase their hits on the pages via twitter, stumbled upon, facebook etc. Social Media optimization is kind of the new search engine optimization.
    Search engine has getting smarter and trickier. But following the standard rule of these search engines would will help your site not to get penalized.

And Yes, I Agree that social media would help to increase the traffic for your site.However, it's not only the method that you can use. I still believe on 'Content is the King'. Engaging your self to Guest Blogging/ Posting for example is one of the method I'm talking about. It will Build relation to other blogger, webmasters and to your readers through your post plus it will give your site a natural backlinks plus will help to increase the traffic on your site. And through advance blogging features your old post can be found in the suggested or related links. It's a long term benefits actually.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend who used facebook to drive traffic to his website and it really worked. He used to have thousands of people visiting his website so no doubt that Social media can be very helpful to increase traffic to your website. You should know how to gain attention and make people visit your website.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armed12 View Post
    I have a friend who used facebook to drive traffic to his website and it really worked. He used to have thousands of people visiting his website so no doubt that Social media can be very helpful to increase traffic to your website. You should know how to gain attention and make people visit your website.
    Sure! You have a well-prepared content that's useful for your readers then you will get the traffic come in from social networks for sure. You can also ask help from your friends on facebook via private message to them.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seoapprentice View Post
    You can also ask help from your friends on facebook via private message to them.
    Thanks for your response...

I have a question: How could you use visits from your friends or known people? Would they convert into valuable prospects?

Just asking your friends to visit your website or requesting someone to visit your website would not do any good to you or your website. Instead, think of some ways to drive interested people in, I mean, post some content that can get people's interest and they themselves visit your website.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piridelli View Post
    Yes, definitely. Thats why I have these on my forum. Attachment 60481After the signature. So people can share.
    And judging by those icons, nobody is.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the thing that scares most of sideowners away from social media is the fact,
    that they dont have a facebook fanpage or twitter account with a lot of followers
    and simply dont know how to get one. While SEO is something they know.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that the Social media is now without doubt a must replacing all the old SEO techniques and to drive traffic...but I still havenīt found the right way to do it.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i often read about using social media to drive traffic. But, how exactly do you use social media to drive traffic to your site?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Social Media can definitely bring in traffic to your website. If you have a good Facebook page and twitter profile, on which you share valuable-engaging content, then lots of people are bound to see it and invariably check out your website and drop in inquiries. The crux of good SMM is understanding how people interact with content on different social networking sites and catering to them accordingly. If your SMM is good, your website is sure to get more visitors. Whether they convert to customers or not depends on a lot of other factors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to get as much followers as possible on Twitter. Interesting and useful content will force them to make a retweet. There is not bad article http://seo-hacker.com/lot-retweets/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timesheet View Post
    Thanks for your response...

I have a question: How could you use visits from your friends or known people? Would they convert into valuable prospects?

Just asking your friends to visit your website or requesting someone to visit your website would not do any good to you or your website. Instead, think of some ways to drive interested people in, I mean, post some content that can get people's interest and they themselves visit your website.
    Yes, you're right. But I always catch small chance when I met.