SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review new fluid 1140 grid based site about career education! :)

Hello Sitepoint!

We're developing a new website and we'd like your feedback! It's fluid down to mobile (or will be...)

http://workaday.org/dev/static/index.html
    http://workaday.org/dev/static/generic.html
    http://workaday.org/dev/static/team.html
    http://workaday.org/dev/static/video.html
    http://workaday.org/dev/static/connect.html

Our concerns:

Is the right sidebar not seperated from the main content enough? How can we make it better?
    Is it too boring?

Please do your worst!

Cassidy

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see a sidebar on the right, so I'm not sure which part you mean.

I like that I know exactly what your site plans to do as soon as I get to the home page.

You might try adjusting the white area around the text in the upper left area so that it doesn't look like it's been highlighted. For example, maybe a rectangle with rounded corners would make a better backdrop.

Even though your nav tabs are in a rather decorative font, I can read them easily--they're spaced well. (I assume you know that none of the links work at this point.)

Did you intend for your #3 step to be identical to step 1, or is that supposed to be a different step? In step 2, I assume you meant to say "to real life" or "to the real world," but it says "connect academic subjects to real"

I don't know what kind of content you have planned for your video, but it would be good to give a little more indication about your intended age group. Are you targeting high school students? Upper elementary students? College students? If you don't include this information in the video, then some photos or a short bit of text might help. Of course, it will be clearer once you have the videos up and running, too.

Good luck with the site!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The fluid nature of the site worked fine.

The orange color is too bright, and overwhelming. You have way too much orange.

I thought the intro where it says "Career Education Reimagined" and the explanatory text that follows looks amateurish, unprofessional.

I thought the formating of the sections that follow looked nice. Too much orange, though.

The images at the bottom of the "Students watch short videos about great careers." and other numbered sections is aligned right. I don't think that's a good alignment. I think it would look best floated left of the explanatory text.

I thought the formatting was nice for the most part, and too much orange.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have said there is a lot of orange. I'm looking at it on an iPad and most of it looks ok. Are the links at the top not working for a reason, testing would be way easier if these worked.

Where you have the watch a 1 minute video section on the home page, I am just seeing a large telephone icon. If this is a flash video I would look into another method as ios users won't be able to view it. I also can't see the right sidebar.

Finally when viewed vertically on the iPad, you have a few alignment issues. I think one of the headings is right up against the side of the screen.

Keep at it, you're nearly there.

There also seems to be a few images missing, particularly behind the keep reading links, is this intentional.

The three how it works sections would look better if the heading, text and image were aligned vertically, at the moment they are all over the place, and they are not separated from each other enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So interesting web
    Several thing i want to suggest you are:
    1. the white background the text of your tittle site it's like I'm block at that text, so if you give the same background with your header background i think it's more comfortable
    2. the thumbnail has no image in it
    3. the tittle of "read more article" you must be anchor it to your article i think

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks really good for the most part. The orange doesn't bother me as much as it does others.

The thing that immediately sticks out to me is the text that's over the blue section, and its white background. Either put it in a white rectangle which can fit all of it, or consider making the text white and getting rid of the white background. As it is now, (with it looking like the text has just been highlighted in white) it doesn't look good.

The fluid layout is cool, and it looks good both at monitor size and cell phone size. I don't know how important the in between stages are to you, but there are definitely some awkward places in between. I notice the blue backgrounded section migrates down, that seems odd and unnecessary. Also, at one point, the 3 steps get weird, with the 2nd step below and to the right of the 1st step and the 3rd step all the way to the left again.

It will be a good looking site!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is the site still under construction? because some images are not loading
    anyway the site as of now looks very nice and professional, the colors blend well together
    one more thing, you should have a logo or a header image to make your site seem even more interesting

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On opening the index page I was struck by 2 things

1) HOW IT WORKS and the layout below is superb – cant be better

2) The CAREER EDUCATION logo needs changing in my view as I wondered are their words hidden?

Could the words be white on the blue background? Can the box be a rectangle?

I do feel the amount of orange and the base of the page is too much for me and I wonder if one chooses a slightly less strident red when seen with the orange.

As I say the sections below HOW IT WORKS down to the full orange sections is SUPERB

In Generic page - same comments really, and I add also that the nav bar box at the right may benefit by bolder headings. The page feel is great. I LOVE the FAQ banner – superb

Same comments for team page

The video format size is superb on the video page

For contact page I wondered why you called it connect.html.

And ask if SEO may be reduced if the html file page name is called connect and page purpose is to give your contact details and “contact” seems to me the initial search word I would use first. I may be wrong but wanted to mention this

Overall I like the colours, fresh, modern, want to see more but not sure on the full orange at base of page.

For me the sidebar is visible on a PC. On an iphone a slider is visible
    The headings appear in irregular boxes that raises the question again if these words can be white on blue and no visible box
    The centre section of the page works a dream ie under how it words - heading

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's nice, but a little too bright for my liking.

The light background behind texts, eh, innovative, but I'm personally not really feeling it. Otherwise, typography is fine - the cursive really goes along with the playful color scheme.

A hover over on the buttons would be nice as well, and also, the footer, again, personal opinion, but I find it a bit too large for my liking. Less news and reduced sitemap links possibly?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the look of it, though a bit hard to give a real verdict until the real content is there, so far so good. Not sure I would have chosen the same colour scheme, but that is a matter of taste and I don't have any. Fluid is good, I love it; so much better than fixed width 3 column design.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The colours to me seem far to in your face and makes the website hard to look at. The overall design is good and the fluid nature of the site works very well. The background colour on the main text along with a drop shadow looks cheap and tacky. I would try to make that look nicer by having one or the other effects.