User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    SitePoint Guru bronze trophy AndrewCooper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

London 2012 Olympics

What's going on in here? Is nobody watching the London 2012 Olympics? Or is everyone too busy watching it to talk about it?!...Yes, that must be the case!

I wonder if anyone on here actually has tickets to any of the events? Or has already been to an event? Share your story with us!...It's the freaking Olympics!

What events are you interested in? Any that you're going to be following or have been? I'm particularly interested in the badminton events, it's just a shame the Team GB Mixed Doubles Team: Chris Adcock and Imogen Bankier have lost both matches they've played so far, and they're playing today against the Chinese team: Nan Zhang and Yunlei Zhao, so they're going to get beaten again, unfortunately.

...I mean...-Coughs- COME ON TEAM GB!

Heh.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watch whenever I can. I'm a big fan of Olympia, always have been.

My favorite sport is Tennis, as always. Normally, it'd be followed by Football, but as the majority of pros have abandoned their teams, like they always do for the Olympics, I'm not all that keen on it, though I still watch if I know at least a few players.

I watch all events except for beach volleyball, shooting, hockey, women's football (yes, don't like it even if I'm female) and swim gymnastics.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I'm too busy in the swimming pool with work *cough* so I only watch the highlights. The italian highlights in TV, and the dutch highlights on the internet

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I'm really looking forward to the athletics, but I've fond myself gripped by a few unexpected events already. I've been enjoying handball and water polo, neither or which I've ever seen before, and volleyball, which I played at school. And we watched the opening ceremony, where Sir Tim Berners-Lee made a surprise appearance.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @TechnoBear, it's the same for me! I'm watching events I'd never thought I'd take an interest in.

Berners-Lee's appearance was absolutely stunning. I really liked the entire ceremony. It was the first Olympic ceremony I've watched because I usually don't like those types of events, but I was completely surprised at how beautifully it had all been done, especially watching how the Olympic rings came to life was great.

None of my friends liked the ceremony, though. I haven't a clue why.
    Last edited by kohoutek; Jul 31, 2012 at 10:25.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    @kohoutek - We didn't intend to watch the ceremony, but just happened to catch the start of it and ended up watching right through, and like you, we were surprised by how much we enjoyed it. I loved the joke with the Queen's entrance, and thought she was a good sport to go along with it. We've just been discussing it with two elderly friends, and they hated the whole thing and thought the Queen was the worst bit of it. There's no accounting for taste - and I suppose it would be a very boring world if we were all the same.

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I'm loving it - and watching it as I type!
    I really love the fact that Fencing has got such good coverage on the BBC for once. Its also amazing to see people I know on a day to day basis in Team GB as well as refereeing, officiating and volunteering

I have seen at least 20 friends so far!
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    olympics are the most hot games ever...

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched a recording of the opening ceremony on TV on Sunday, it gets a Hell Yeah! from me, the couldron design and it's lighting will take some beating by Brazil (hosts of the 2016 Summer games), I've ordered the music from the ceremony on CD. I wish I'd seen it in 3D (apparently a lot of BBC's HD coverage is in 3D). The forging of the rings was really good. They even sneaked a bit of comedy in there with Mr Bean, I didn't know that Mr Bean was popular outside of the UK.

Been watching bits of events here and there.
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike, I do think you probably could have been competing there if you were at your peak.

Quote Originally Posted by Maleika View Post
    None of my friends liked the ceremony, though. I haven't a clue why.
    German friends? Perhaps they don't have your own exceptionally good taste and appreciation of Great Britishness and humour.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Robert, yes, German friends. I'm not exactly sure why, it just didn't excite. Two reasons I've heard was that it lacked fantasy and resembled musicals too much.

I take a strong disliking to musicals and didn't feel it resembled a musical at all. Well, yes, there was lots of music and references to Britain's achievements in that respect, obviously, but that's about it, and I understood why they brought in the Pop Culture.

As for the fantasy comment, I don't even know what that means. I thought it was full of it.

What gives, my mom loved it.

@SpacePhoenix, Mr. Bean is extremely popular in quite a few countries (and continents). He's very popular over here in Germany and is a mandatory programme on Christmas Eve in a lot of households, almost as mandatory as "Dinner for One" on New Year's Eve. And the good thing is that there isn't even a language barrier for Mr. Bean.

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantasy, it had the Queen and James Bond acting and doing stunts together that was pretty much fantasy, it was packed with fantasy. Maybe not what they are mainly used to though regarding myths. Obviously ceremonies like that have to have a musical themed element and be flamboyant and digestible because of the international audience.

Well, at least both you and your mother have good taste.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw only swimming events

Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xhtmlcoder View Post
    Mike, I do think you probably could have been competing there if you were at your peak.
    Funny you should say that Robert, I was tipped to go to Beijing but life doesn't always turn out the way it's planned
    Not to worry as I turn Veteran in a couple of years and get to embark on a whole new National/European/World circuit!

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ View Post
    Funny you should say that Robert, I was tipped to go to Beijing but life doesn't always turn out the way it's planned
    Not to worry as I turn Veteran in a couple of years and get to embark on a whole new National/European/World circuit!
    Which sport? I didn't know you were a famous sportsman.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoBear View Post
    they hated the whole thing and thought the Queen was the worst bit of it.
    I'm not really convinced by the kind of things put on show in these ceremonies—the whole showcase your country idea. Seems a bit self indulgent to me. Anyhow, as they go, this one was OK, although I and my family/friends agree that the queen was a bit of an embarrassment—sitting there like a sour old puss through the show, even caught picking at her nails as the British team marched in. Jeesh! What's her problem? It was incredible that she couldn't crack a smile or something for such a gigantic national event.

(Even in the Bond clip, she portrayed herself badly by being so rude to Bond when he came into the room. The whole thing did her no favors, IMHO. The corgies were cute, though.)

The moment I always look for is the lighting of the flame. It wasn't too bad this time, but nothing will ever beat the Barcelona lighting. That's one of the great TV moments in history, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek View Post
    Mr. Bean is extremely popular in quite a few countries (and continents).
    Yeah, I don't like him much, but I admit his routine in the ceremony was pretty funny. (At least there was something live about the LSO performance. )

Unfortunately, we don't get to see a lot of the games here, as it takes place in the wee hours for us (so I just flick on the TV for a few minutes if I get up for a wee).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been watching it every now and again for some of the sports I like. They have more sports on it than I ever knew existed!

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The GB womans football team have been great, scored some excellent goals and plenty raw effort without any of the diving and histrionics that mars pro football a lot of the time. Was surprisingly impressed with the opening ceremony, good to see a wry sense of humour used in what is normally a very formal event.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My country team have no good result in the Olympic London, but we guest the result previously.

Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoBear View Post
    Which sport? I didn't know you were a famous sportsman.
    I was an international fencer TB. Competed as a sabreur for many years until family life and reality kicked in!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as a rule i like all the events that have connection with water, swimming for examole.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ View Post
    I was an international fencer TB. Competed as a sabreur for many years until family life and reality kicked in!
    Wow. (Of course, I should have deduced the sport from your earlier comment about the coverage.) So there are veterans/masters tournaments in fencing, too? There are a lot now for athletics in almost every discipline, but Running Bear is greatly exercised (pun intended ) by the lack of distance events. It takes him a half marathon to get properly warmed up.

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy AndrewCooper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Great response to this thread! I knew something was going wrong in here...You guys and girls just needed bringing out of your shells again, eh

I personally thought the Opening Ceremony was fantastic! I cried a little at the Mr.Bean appearance, and the Queen with James Bond was funny too, but the highlight of my night had to be seeing Tim Berners-Lee sitting at the desk with the NeXT computer and live tweeting "This is for everyone". What a beautiful moment.

Although the first 20 minutes of the opening ceremony was a bit confusing for me...I didn't have a clue what was going on but then I realised it was the Industrial Revolution, and the rings were fantastic! So was the music! I'll have to get that from iTunes right now actually, if it isn't available on Spotify!

It was great that Bradley Wiggins won Gold though!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the Industrial Revolution and all the other historic themes were the best part of the ceremony. The first few minutes, before the countdown, I thought, hmm... just a bunch of cows roaming around, can't get very exciting... How wrong I was!

Eh, and I forgot to mention athletics! Of course that's the most exciting part for me, too. Can't wait for them to begin.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the sports here seem to be very shabbily run. The Chinese kiddie in the weightlifting just broke the WR with his 2nd lift and was waiting for the other Chinese guy to go, who decided to not do his 3rd lift and that meant instead of getting two minutes rest, the Chinese guy's time started again at one minute and no-one told him.

They get out to the do another WR and his time ran out. You would think that if someone decides not to lift that you should tell the next guy that he is up. How is he supposed to know? Telepathy?

So many other controversies have been around these games and most of them have come from officials making mistakes. It's not really good enough.