SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something strange is going on with Altavista. They spidered my site and added about 2000 entries into their canadian index (my site has nothing to do with canada) but they did not add those pages to their regular index. Can anybody think of a reason why they would put a site not about canada and without a .ca domain into their canadian index but not the regular one?

thanks,

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

It's not really a mystery.

Remember Alta Vista is a Full Text Index search engine. What it means is that AV (AltaVista) index every word in your page AND each word has relavant weight in their algorithm :-)

If you are familiar with AV indexing process its easy to get a high ranking position in their listing its also true that your page would appear on some irrelevant topic/keyword.

In fact, if your page appeared in the Top 30, it's a blessing in disguise. My suggestion is study that page and figure it out why it appeared under Canada listing. I bet 'somewhere in your page, you have mentioned Canada'

Repeat the same process in your other pages, but this time use the relevant keyword/phrase for that page. Duplicate the exact frequency, prominence, and density of your 'Canada page' this time with a different keyword/phrase and your page will appear at the right topic and probably with a higher rating too.

Hope you learn something from your experience, use it as a valuable tool :-)
    The questions are tough. The answer is simple. Find someone who's done it. Learn from all his trials, tribulations and successes.
    -Web Development Tools-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by LuZeR
    Something strange is going on with Altavista. They spidered my site and added about 2000 entries into their canadian index (my site has nothing to do with canada) but they did not add those pages to their regular index. Can anybody think of a reason why they would put a site not about canada and without a .ca domain into their canadian index but not the regular one?

thanks,
    At least you go listed in SOMETHING!