SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unique site, need some help...

Ok, I have the rare opportunity to run a website for a professional baseball player, who is now a manager. He does not care too much about his site, and I used to run it years ago. However, I care, and I want it to look good for him. For ease of operation, I was considering Wordpress. There will need to be a store, but I do NOT want the store to be the landing page. Instead, I would just like a shop button to be available in the menu to navigate to it. Paypal is fine for the processor.

Can anyone recommend a nice theme with these functions, that I can easily add a customer header too, along with a Join Mailing list option and Social media (Facebook) primarily?

Would also like to pull in RSS feeds from his MLB team site.

Thanks everyone.

Shannon

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I haven't used a store plugin for Wordpress personally, couldn't you just use any store template you like and just specify the homepage to be a content-page as opposed to a product listing page?

I've previously looked at the 'Wootique' theme from Woothemes which is a nice simple layout with both blog and store pages available. If you set the homepage to the blog section as opposed to the store section it will look like a 'normal' blog until they click over to the store.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly? If you need full functionality built within the site then I wouldn't go down the WordPress route. It's okay for blog-like sites, but it sounds like you'll want to add a lot more to this site and there's definitely far more you can do if you get yourself a proper CMS.

If you want a modern CMS to build from then I would recommend Concrete5 or if you're able to work with ASP.NET I'd use Umbraco. Both are fantastic CMS's that blow the likes of WordPress and Drupal clear out of the water.