SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, where do I start...

I use my IBM Thinkpad laptop when I travel and it's used at home by my family. A few months ago, I deleted some files in an attempt to clear up more hard drive space (there was barely any left and there wasn't much to start with anyway). Ever since I deleted some programs, I have been viewing multiple errors everytime I startup. These errors include missing .dll file notices, unable to copy file errors, and the main one is that black screen of death before Windows loads up saying a file that refers to the system.ini file is missing, blah, blah. I hit "enter" and I can eventually get into Windows normally.

If anyone would like me to post the specific errors, I can. Keep in mind this is not my computer (the one I'm using now and the main one) and that is runs on Windows 95.

Speaking of Windows 95, is there a "msconfig" or similar command that will allow me to change what programs startup? These might eliminate some errors, if I can figure out how to find this feature, if there is one...

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That has happened to me sometimes..

Just reformat it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Matt Kaufman
    That has happened to me sometimes..

Just reformat it
    Thanks, Matt. I've never reinstalled Windows before. I know there are two types of reinstalls: "dirty" and "clean". Wouldn't a "clean" reinstall be the best choice? How do I do it? Please help.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you can either do a clean installation. A clean installation is when you format all of your drives, re-partition them, and install Windows.

An installation, to correct missing or damaged files, you simply just put in your Windows 98 disc, and it will replace them. You will not loose your current files or programs, it just corrects Windows.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have two computers why not just network them with a null modem cable or a ethernet cable and then copy the data from the laptop to your desktop PC. Only the stuff that you want. Then reformat the laptop the clean way and transfer your data back.

I hear Micro$oft recommends you format hard drives every three months to keep them your OS and computer at tip top performance.

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only Windows 9x needs the 'formatting cure'

Windows 2000 simply stays working and isn't as fragil as Win9x.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Adam Lysne
    Well you can either do a clean installation. A clean installation is when you format all of your drives, re-partition them, and install Windows.

An installation, to correct missing or damaged files, you simply just put in your Windows 98 disc, and it will replace them. You will not loose your current files or programs, it just corrects Windows.
    Thanks for clearing that up. However, my laptop is running Windows 95 and I don't believe I have the CD... you see, the laptop used to be my dad's computer at his work, but then he switched jobs and they gave us his old computer...
    is there a way to do this still?

Originally posted by d3v
    If you have two computers why not just network them with a null modem cable or a ethernet cable and then copy the data from the laptop to your desktop PC. Only the stuff that you want. Then reformat the laptop the clean way and transfer your data back.

I hear Micro$oft recommends you format hard drives every three months to keep them your OS and computer at tip top performance.
    That's a very good idea, but frankly, I don't have the money, time, or dedication to do that. Neither computer is entirely mine, so I don't think that would be in my best interest. I hope to get my own computer sometime. Plus, all I have is a slow, really slow, dial-up modem.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use a Serial or parrallel (printer) cable to do this, too.

Ask around, probably a friend of yours has a Windows CD they'd let you borrow and you can install windows on top of itself.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the info.

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Select, start, run and type "sfc" (without the quotes)... this will restore all the missing system files.
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that's only in Windows 98 (the laptop is Win95).

Funny, Windows Millenium says that it can't find "sfc" w/o quotes, and it is nowhere to be found in "system information".

There is the system restore feature, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried typing in "sfc" without quotes and it didn't work. abahta was correct.

Can't somebody else offer suggestions?

Again, I need to get rid of these errors on startup. They including missing .dll file alerts and an error that says a file that the system.ini file refers to is missing.

The errors are (mostly) due to my deletion of the MSN Network. If I reinstalled MSN and then uninstalled it, would that fix it?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might as well try installing Microsoft Network.

SFC is not in Windows 95 (I am pretty sure) but in Win98 it is at c:\windows\system\sfc.exe or c:\windows\sfc.exe

Good luck!