SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is it normal in web design not to have a job for a year long?

Hi

it has been a year since I graduated and do not have a job. Is this normal? Or at least is it a really big problem. I am thinking will employers now not hire me with the pretext of "what the hell did he do for a year"

to be honest I wanted a year off, just to do my thing, no real logic behind it, that is just what it is.

I have learned a lot this year and so forth.

So do you think it is a big problem, or will employers not care about that, and just treat the application based on usual criteria

Thanks

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you doing to keep in touch with the industry while you aren't working? Do you do any freelance work or manage a portfolio of your own sites?
    You could build templates to further improve your skills as well as bring in a bit of money and show employers your designs are in demand.

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think employers would still treat your application like they do others, how capable are you, experience, personality fit, good communicator etc..

But you should expect the question of what you've done for a year and know how to answer it.
    A year is a long time to have a complete break from web development, to me it could seem that it's not really a hobby or keen interest for you.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markbrown4 View Post
    A year is a long time to have a complete break from web development, to me it could seem that it's not really a hobby or keen interest for you.
    But I have not had a brake from web development, I work everyday in learning new stuff and have managed to build up a portfolio with few websites (three that I like the most)

Basically I just have not had a payed job. Other than that I could easily say I worked 4 days a week on different web development and design work.

Is just I have had a brake from having a job (as in working for a client or a company)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ev! View Post
    What are you doing to keep in touch with the industry while you aren't working?

I have been learning new things and improving on what I already know. I have managed to finish my personal site which is a blog and a portfolio <snip> - so I am saying that I have not had the conventional job.
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Jul 29, 2012 at 01:46. Reason: Self-promotional link removed

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by akurtula View Post
    But I have not had a brake from web development, I work everyday in learning new stuff and have managed to build up a portfolio with few websites (three that I like the most)

Basically I just have not had a payed job. Other than that I could easily say I worked 4 days a week on different web development and design work.

Is just I have had a brake from having a job (as in working for a client or a company)
    There's nothing wrong with taking a break from work. The fact that you've continued to learn and build a portfolio without a job shows interest. You don't have anything to worry about

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's nothing wrong with taking a break from work. The fact that you've continued to learn and build a portfolio without a job shows interest. You don't have anything to worry about
    Thanks so much.

The idea behind my brake was that I knew nothing about web dev before going to uni. Then uni was not only web but also multimedia, and so I felt that (for sommeone that knew nothing about web development) I did not learn as much as I should have. So the brake was a genuine plan to learn more about web design/development before hitting the job market. Plus of course the "brake from having to go to work" could be seen as a bonus (sometimes), but that was not the big reason. However, employer would not care about this!!!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi

it has been a year since I graduated and do not have a job. Is this normal?
    Sadly, it has become normal in this current economy.

Or at least is it a really big problem. I am thinking will employers now not hire me with the pretext of "what the hell did he do for a year"
    True. They will. There are employers out there that will not consider hiring any candidates who are currently unemployed. They only want those that are currently employed. In my opinion, this is an idiotic way of thinking.

to be honest I wanted a year off, just to do my thing, no real logic behind it, that is just what it is.

I have learned a lot this year and so forth.

So do you think it is a big problem, or will employers not care about that, and just treat the application based on usual criteria

Thanks
    Employers expect their candidates to be "go getters", someone driven to succeed and willing to work like a dog. Candidates are not going to look to highly on someone who took a year off after college. I, too, was burnt out after college and needed a break. I didn't get one.

The bottom line is that while many employers look for reasons not to hire someone instead of reasons to hire someone, some employers--especially smaller ones--want employees who can accomplish things. If you can show some track record of accomplishment, you can get a foot in the door.

As the old saying goes, once you get hired it's not where you went to school that's important, it's what you can do.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, it is really strange as as far as i know web designer is quite wanted. may be it is the very time to try smt new?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by masimka1 View Post
    wow, it is really strange as as far as i know web designer is quite wanted. may be it is the very time to try smt new?
    What do you mean

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As this is the situation. would it be a good plan to just start apply for jobs and if nothing comes, get the experience I need through charity work? if i do that, would employers start seeing my application in a better light?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    would it be a good plan to just start apply for jobs
    Of course, because you don't have work experience yet you should be looking at graduate positions as well.
    The job opportunities are different in each country, where are you looking for a job?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where are you looking for a job?
    United Kingdom

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Akurtula,

In addition to making a nice portfolio, I'd recommend you work on your communication skills as well.
    Your English grammar and spelling is not too good and I'm assuming this is because you're not a native English speaker.
    You should work on this.

All the best! :-)

P.S. Could you show some of the websites from your portfolio? I'd like to see some.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by akrimony View Post
    Your English grammar and spelling is not too good and I'm assuming this is because you're not a native English speaker.

P.S. Could you show some of the websites from your portfolio? I'd like to see some.
    At the moment that site you are referring to is in working progress, I do need to look at it for grammer. In terms of the websites, I am working on the description pages where I am going to show screenshots of all three sites I am going to include. In a very near feature I am going to have live link .

I have searched on this topic and found that having screenshots without the live links is not that bad.

btw, when you say that I have grammer problems, are they in the 'about' page - as I thought there weren't any there. Im asking because that is the one page I took extra care on

Thanks

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    269 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    That would need to be done in the Reviews & Critiques forum, in accordance with its rules.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    btw, when you say that I have grammer problems, are they in the 'about' page - as I thought there weren't any there. Im asking because that is the one page I took extra care on
    Oh no! Not in the about page. In general, the posts you've written in this thread. They have a lot of spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes. But nothing to worry about, you could work on it. :-)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, yes my grammer is my weakest point; I hope to get better at it.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered trying working online in website related field?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are self employed , definitely there is not any problem but if you were employed and took a big break of 1 year, you have to mention the details to your future employer ! Simple

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olivriv3463 View Post
    Have you considered trying working online in website related field?
    I have heard that before, but I have no idea what it requires or what it means. I have tried looking into working with open source projects (even though I have not looked into it for some time), when I looked I could not fiend anything what required my help (my skills)

Do you have any information on how or where to look for online work? Where to start looking or anything?

Thanks

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard that before, but I have no idea what it requires or what it means. I have tried looking into working with open source projects (even though I have not looked into it for some time), when I looked I could not fiend anything what required my help (my skills)

Do you have any information on how or where to look for online work? Where to start looking or anything?

Thanks
    I think I saw somewhere in this forum some threads threads discussing about freelance jobs online. I'm just not sure and I can't locate that particular link anymore. But if you want to try out some online outsourcing sites I heard elance or rentacoder or fiverr are some of the suggested sites that really pay. You may want to explore those sites and while exploring, don't stop learning as online jobs can also be so competitive. You always have to improve your craft everyday.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't stop learning as online jobs can also be so competitive. You always have to improve your craft everyday.
    That goes without saying, learn the new stuff is what makes this profession so bloody exiting

I will take a look at those site.
    Thanks a lot

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard elance or rentacoder or fiverr are some of the suggested sites that really pay.
    I have singed yo to Elance, and I received the first email of job alerts - it seems to have all sorts of opportunities, small jobs and big job. I am liking what I see, I might need to get my portfolio 100% finished, but I think this might me a great thing if nothing else comes up.

So just wanted to say thanks again

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh no! Not in the about page. In general, the posts you've written in this thread. They have a lot of spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes. But nothing to worry about, you could work on it. :-)
    Spelling and grammar are significant items in software development. Unless you're extremely gifted in your field, employers are likely to pass over your resume. The market is saturated with web developers who are just starting out. To a potential employer, poor spelling and grammar may indicate that you are not detail-oriented and that you may make a lot of mistakes. Mistakes means bugs, and spending time on fixing bugs that otherwise could've been avoided costs the employer money. Introducing bugs due to bad spelling is something that can be avoided by hiring a good speller instead of a poor speller.

That said, It might be wise to address this. There are actually quite a number of spelling games out there that might be able to help.

This isn't meant to make you feel bad. I'm just pointing out the realities you may be facing.
    Last edited by Force Flow; Aug 2, 2012 at 21:13.
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain