SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 88
  1. #51
    SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    r937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39,327
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    okay, taking a wild shot in the dark, let's suppose your site analytics are triggered whenever ~any~ request is made for a page on your site

    i'm guessing it's done with javascript and uses the http REFERER

    so your site analytics counts hits coming from search engines, and also hits coming from other links

    fair enough

    what i'm missing is the mechanics of how this data finds its way back to the search engines, "improving your placement in the search engines for a specific keyword"

    unless someone comes up with a believable explanation, e.g. a link to a matt cutts article that explains how google site analytics does a surreptitious data dump back to google (which i doubt), i'm going to keep calling b.s.
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

  2. #52
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I don't go for the 'keyword' thing either. I'm not much into 'keywords' because, quite frankly SEO 'gurus" have prostituted the word. By my post, I just meant that visits from Social Media sites add to your site's popularity and will help bump up your site's position in the SE lists.

    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    okay, taking a wild shot in the dark, let's suppose your site analytics are triggered whenever ~any~ request is made for a page on your site

    i'm guessing it's done with javascript and uses the http REFERER

    so your site analytics counts hits coming from search engines, and also hits coming from other links

    fair enough

    what i'm missing is the mechanics of how this data finds its way back to the search engines, "improving your placement in the search engines for a specific keyword"

    unless someone comes up with a believable explanation, e.g. a link to a matt cutts article that explains how google site analytics does a surreptitious data dump back to google (which i doubt), i'm going to keep calling b.s.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  3. #53
    SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    r937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39,327
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    ... visits from Social Media sites add to your site's popularity and will help bump up your site's position in the SE lists.
    i really wish we could get someone to comment on how this might work -- if it does
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

  4. #54
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    i really wish we could get someone to comment on how this might work -- if it does
    Today I clicked a link to a story on Jezebel that I wouldn't have seen if you hadn't linked to it on Facebook. Let's say four of your other "friends" followed the link. I also shared the link so let's say that five of my "friends" followed, the link as well. That's ten impressions that Jezebel would not have had but for Social Media. Let's also say that some of our circles of friends also 'shared' the link and that some of their 'friends' also followed and shared the link as well.

    All of those impressions are cataloged by Google and will show up in Jezebel's analytics. I also believe that they are added to the site's (Jezebel's) popularity in the Search Engine Algorithm. And so, when someone goes to Google and does a search for ~that story~ it will rise to the top of the search results, unless of course, another News site with better (YUCK!) Page Rank and as many or near as many impressions is already ahead of Jezebel in SE listings.

    This from Matt Cutt's blog is similar to the way I think things work though not exactly the same scenario. I had to dig for it, so I didn't go any further back to find a better example.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  5. #55
    Foozle Reducer ServerStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Burlington, Canada
    Posts
    2,699
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    Today I clicked a link to a story on Jezebel that I wouldn't have seen if you hadn't linked to it on Facebook. Let's say four of your other "friends" followed the link. I also shared the link so let's say that five of my "friends" followed, the link as well. That's ten impressions that Jezebel would not have had but for Social Media. Let's also say that some of our circles of friends also 'shared' the link and that some of their 'friends' also followed and shared the link as well.

    All of those impressions are cataloged by Google and will show up in Jezebel's analytics. I also believe that they are added to the site's (Jezebel's) popularity in the Search Engine Algorithm. And so, when someone goes to Google and does a search for ~that story~ it will rise to the top of the search results, unless of course, another News site with better (YUCK!) Page Rank and as many or near as many impressions is already ahead of Jezebel in SE listings.

    This from Matt Cutt's blog is similar to the way I think things work though not exactly the same scenario. I had to dig for it, so I didn't go any further back to find a better example.
    Yes Matt Cutts (for those that do not know) is a Google Software Engineer.

    Here are a few other relevant (or partially relevant) Matt Cutts links:



    It is important to understand that the Search Engine algorithms have become increasingly more obscured with controlled media distributions. So exactly the algorithm used today (Oct 3, 2012) could be very different from the first published algorithm, but more likely the algorithm has been adapted and refined.

    This What Social Signals Do Google & Bing Really Count? (Dec 1, 2010) article by Danny Sullivan may clear @r937 ; curiosity as it give some insight into how the page rank is influenced by social signals.

    Google's PageRank Explained by Phil Craven is for the real Math/Algorithm geeks in the crowd as it breaks down the original Google Algorithm.

    Hope this helps
    Steve
    ictus==""

  6. #56
    SitePoint Member Mac Wheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Watford
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google has now employed a team of people to read websites, and rate the quality, so it is important to make sure that the content you add is the best it can be,

    Put simply, if the Google team reads a page, decides it is badly written, and is not of value, it's SERP will be affected.

  7. #57
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Wheeler View Post
    Google has now employed a team of people to read websites, and rate the quality, so it is important to make sure that the content you add is the best it can be,

    Put simply, if the Google team reads a page, decides it is badly written, and is not of value, it's SERP will be affected.
    Somehow this thread has taken a turn for the worse. To be candid, although there is some SEO overlap on the web, this forum doesn't care what Google thinks. We only care about what your website visitors think about your content. Please read our guidelines (stickied to this forum) before you continue to post.

    Any further posts that are primarily about SEO instead about good content will be deleted.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  8. #58
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you imagine a website without content ......its horrible....Content is the life of a website which makes the website informative and useful.A website content should not be just a mere content providing raw information,but apart from that it should be hard-hitting content in simple language.The success of a content depends upon its ability to drive the user to the website,So the content should be genuine and not an end product of plagiarism.So give your site high quality content and make it informative and professional............

  9. #59
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanjilovi View Post
    Please give suggestions ...
    At present I found a lot of sites which are giving free article for publishing to bloggers. Is it good to publish a lot of (free) articles of medium quality or to publish fewer but high quality content ? Which will make the blog better - the quality or the numbers of articles ?
    But it is a fact that sometimes quality articles doesn't meet the needs of the people. But if you make a lot of articles then probability increases of getting more readers !
    Let me answer this with another question... do people visit your website. (Or, do you want people to enjoy your website?)

    If so, then quality over quantity. Always.

  10. #60
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Content is always an important part of every website and equally important for website visitors. In my opinion posting less content while maintaining the high quality of the content is more helpful then posting lots of content with very less importance. As you said posting lots of content can gain you more traffic, but think of the situation when visitors don't find content up to the mark, how many times will they return to read your articles or blogs.

    So I would suggest you that post only high quality content and pay more attention to quality of your work as compare to the quantity.

  11. #61
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lightbulb Author Rank is the Future

    If all you're doing is taking other people's work and re-shaping it then you need to question what value you're adding.

    I believe this is where Google's 'Author Rank' will come into play and quash SEO as we know it today.
    Has everyone noticed how Matt Cuts alludes to, 'Content, create original quality content' when quizzed about Serps in various interviews? I like the way Cuts thinks. Why should a page with poor to average content rank higher than a page with highly entertaining quality content? The days of ghost writing may be on the verge of extinction. Why let a client take official Author Rank credit for the sake of a few dollars. I think Author Rank is really going to shake up the SEO world in a major way.

  12. #62
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewRichter View Post
    If Why let a client take official Author Rank credit for the sake of a few dollars. I think Author Rank is really going to shake up the SEO world in a major way.
    For the same reason the Madison Avenue Ad agencies don't take credit for the ads and TV spots they create. It's a business.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  13. #63
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    write article that needs by people. Identify them by using keyword. People search information using a keyword. Adwords or any other keyword spy tools would help a lot in writing articles. Find keyword that have high search per month, use them multiple time in your article that would get enough quality of your article. Correct me if I'm wrong

  14. #64
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that quality content is the most important for online businesses nowadays. All you need to do is to properly promote your content to make it viral on web. If that happen your blog/website will gain great number of views which will help your business. Aside from that, quality articles will also help improve your search engine rankings.

  15. #65
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe it depends on the the level of development of your website. I mean, if the website is relatively "fresh" and new to the market, your main aim is to let people know that it exists. Considering volumes of information on the Internet you need to gather critical amount of information just to be visible on Internet. It does not necessarily need to be extra-high quality information - but keep away from posting absolute crap - you might ruin the good name of your site before it became known to people. But if your website or product are well-known or at least simple "known" - you should post only high-quality content. The more people know your brand or are devoted to it - the more attention is paid to every word which comes out of your company's/website's mouth.

  16. #66
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple answer - always provide information relevant to your visitors. Your intention is to provide what people are looking for in any given subject, so how is posting content they could find on any other site - and have probably read at least once already - going to help you?

    The same applies to "spinning" or rewriting content just a little to be original enough in the eyes of Google - they might be fooled, but your visitors wont be. Write original, high-quality content that will please your visitors and provide something different where possible.

    Surely if you are an expert in any specific field you would be able to provide a different perspective on the subject that others haven't considered?

  17. #67
    SitePoint Member swapnilramani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An Article content should have following characteristics
    1. Proper Grammar
    2. Proper Punctuations
    3. Lucid Language
    4. Proper use of Keyword Density and Keyword Volume
    5. No Keyword Stuffing
    6. Normally 500-1000 words length
    7. User Friendly Content
    8. No offensive Language or personal attacks
    9. A good proper author bio and summary
    10. Killing Title for the article
    11. To the point discussion

  18. #68
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    jacksonville
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Quality is a must but when comes to blogging it should come with quantity"

    Basically readers coming over the blog even for fun these days want to see a substantial level of quality in it. Having better content means getting more traffic and readers, so with regular and good postings you can convert your traffic into readers. since readers most of the time feel bored if they do not find new posts but at the same time they do not come to our blog to read boring posts. I try to maintain a balance between both at my blog.

    I think you need to have a minimum of one to two high quality post per week that are in depth, that drives traffic to ur blog!!

  19. #69
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemanth Malli View Post
    "Quality is a must but when comes to blogging it should come with quantity"

    Basically readers coming over the blog even for fun these days want to see a substantial level of quality in it. Having better content means getting more traffic and readers, so with regular and good postings you can convert your traffic into readers. since readers most of the time feel bored if they do not find new posts but at the same time they do not come to our blog to read boring posts. I try to maintain a balance between both at my blog.

    I think you need to have a minimum of one to two high quality post per week that are in depth, that drives traffic to ur blog!!

    Quality and quantity, even to the size of a certain post, are two entirely different things. You can find some pretty long white papers on the web, but if they are not formatted for web reading, they lose quality and become boring treatises. On the other hand, look at the consistent quality you find in many blogs, such as Seth Godin's blog. He generally micro-blogs, but in just a few paragraphs, sometime only one paragraph he maintains interest in his topic of the moment. Moreover, his content is nearly always completely original. He engages his readers with his own thoughts, ideas, and opinions rather than those found on other blogs or websites.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  20. #70
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    delhi, India
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the key here is to write what people would like to read. If your article is really good and provides the information people are looking it should definitely get you more traffic and response from readers.

  21. #71
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    U.S
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The content is all bout the service that engage your readers. Though there are many positive result come from an unique and attractive content. Why I mentioned here unique article? Because it is really very important that content should not be copy from other articles. It is the process that how you can get very good traffic through exploring your website content.

  22. #72
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    jacksonville
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    Quality and quantity, even to the size of a certain post, are two entirely different things. You can find some pretty long white papers on the web, but if they are not formatted for web reading, they lose quality and become boring treatises. On the other hand, look at the consistent quality you find in many blogs, such as Seth Godin's blog. He generally micro-blogs, but in just a few paragraphs, sometime only one paragraph he maintains interest in his topic of the moment. Moreover, his content is nearly always completely original. He engages his readers with his own thoughts, ideas, and opinions rather than those found on other blogs or websites.

    Well here Quality and quantity which i referred is related to the number of posts in the blog not the content in the post. Quality of posts is important to attract the readers and for getting more visitors and at the same time quantity of posts are also very important to keep the readers in tact with our posts. so, a perfect balance between quality and quantity is important.

  23. #73
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemanth Malli View Post
    Well here Quality and quantity which i referred is related to the number of posts in the blog not the content in the post. Quality of posts is important to attract the readers and for getting more visitors and at the same time quantity of posts are also very important to keep the readers in tact with our posts. so, a perfect balance between quality and quantity is important.
    So if I understand you, you are saying that quality is a must, but consistency in posting results in quantity which is equally important. I agree with that. Thanks for the clarification.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  24. #74
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    jacksonville
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    So if I understand you, you are saying that quality is a must, but consistency in posting results in quantity which is equally important. I agree with that. Thanks for the clarification.
    Yah thats what i mean
    Facebook, Twitter, Google+ Or Blog? which is best for promoting new business??
    Thanks for any advice you can offer. :-)

  25. #75
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceasuridelux View Post
    Do you think Google has a pattern then can determine the quality of an article? The most important rule is a quality article subject or topic that is discussed and of course who write it even be the problem, not raving crazy ... And then success will surely see ...
    Sorry, but this forum is not concerned with Google. We are concerned with HUMAN visitors. Please take your Google discussion to Internet Marketing, which is the appropriate forum to discuss Google.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •