SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    Typography on the web is about more than just fonts. Although the advent of sIFR and web fonts has made it easier to display a website in your chosen font, even if it isn't widely available on visitor's computers, that still isn't practical in a lot of cases and many fonts are not licensed for this use. And so the vast majority of sites stick to a small number of common fonts such as Verdana, Arial, Georgia, Calibri, Comic Sans and TNR (although the last two are not recommended!)

Other significant factors in web typography include:
    • increasing line-spacing to create extra white space and make long paragraphs more readable
    • choosing between appropriate serif / sans-serif fonts for body text and headings
    • increasing letter-spacing for effect in headings
    • ensuring that you use correct typographic punctuation, such as m/n-dashes where appropriate, curly quotes and so on
    Thanks . Can you give me some good information about typography ? Where to find some good tutorials about typography of web articles ? Will they work on every WordPress theme ?
    For Technology and entertainment Rock Music Box
    For Health and Beauty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    I've had a number of guest posts on one of my blogs, but I always let them know that I have the right to edit their posts before I agree to accept them.
    That's a very good idea. It would be wise to add that condition on the guest post guidelines. Thanks
    For Health and Beauty

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Story is this that you always write good quality content on your blog and if required publish articles good quality high pr sites and paying for publishing your articles is not a bad idea. Because in back you will get link back from the authority site..Always remember content is the King.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny567 View Post
    Story is this that you always write good quality content on your blog and if required publish articles good quality high pr sites and paying for publishing your articles is not a bad idea. Because in back you will get link back from the authority site..Always remember content is the King.
    Sorry, but Content is King not because of backlinks. Content is King because quality content lets your visitors know that you know your business. Good content is what makes your site an authority site, not getting a backlink from elsewhere.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a number of guest posts on one of my blogs, but I always let them know that I have the right to edit their posts before I agree to accept them.
    I guess you can always edit.. maybe just get the MEAT of the article from a guest blogger/poster and just edit the crap out of it? By then you could have done your own article maybe.. maybe not. LOL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanjilovi View Post
    So re-writing and mixing things up , right ? :P
    Will not fool Google in the slightest lol

Rule one of SEO..
    Never assume Google is stupid!

Consider the following two blog posts from different sites.

Blog-one;
    Here is some info on frogs:
    Frogs are green
    Frogs live in water
    frogs like to jump
    Frogs are not toads

Thanks for reading my article about frogs

Blog-two;
    Frogs are interesting creatures partly because they are green.
    Many people do not realise they are not toads.
    Frogs like to jump and live in water.

The posts do not look identical to normal visitors but Google is not human and quickly spots that the content of both posts is identical. It's one of those things Google does not like to talk about (and Matt Cutts has only hinted at) but tests done by serious SEO gurus have proved they are quite adapt at text analysis. It's not just them looking at (and counting) the keywords but identifying nouns & verbs to build structure then deduce context. Simply running the text through a thesaurus or swapping text around using grammatical padding is not enough to fool them.

That's right folks all that stuff your English teacher bored you to death with at school about sentence analysis Syntax, Grammar, verbs, adverbs, nouns, pro-nouns, adjectives is suddenly important again.
    Lovelogic.net Personal Projects Pit - Spammers welcome

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartinman View Post
    I guess you can always edit.. maybe just get the MEAT of the article from a guest blogger/poster and just edit the crap out of it? By then you could have done your own article maybe.. maybe not. LOL
    I don't edit to change the content. if that's necessary, I simply refuse the post and send it back. I edit for grammar, spelling, punctuation, formatting, and readability. I might rephrase something for clarity. But, I also don't publish anything without running what I've edited by the original author. At the same time, I don't want anything on my blogs that isn't up to my personal standards. If you have any experience in professional writing, you'll find that is true with every other type of media and if you want credible content on your blogs, it should be the same with you.
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @Sogo7 ; You know what? We're not talking about Google here, we're discussing writing good content for human visitors. Please take the time to read the announcement at the top of this page as well as the Guidelines, stickied (IMPORTANT at the top of this forum before you continue posting here. Any further posts about SEO in this thread will be deleted.

Moreover, what you posted unless it's your own work from two different sites is plagiarism and that's something we don't recommend here in any way, shape or form.
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sogo7 View Post
    Will not fool Google in the slightest lol

Rule one of SEO..
    Never assume Google is stupid!

Consider the following two blog posts from different sites.

Blog-one;
    Here is some info on frogs:
    Frogs are green
    Frogs live in water
    frogs like to jump
    Frogs are not toads

Thanks for reading my article about frogs

Blog-two;
    Frogs are interesting creatures partly because they are green.
    Many people do not realise they are not toads.
    Frogs like to jump and live in water.

The posts do not look identical to normal visitors but Google is not human and quickly spots that the content of both posts is identical. It's one of those things Google does not like to talk about (and Matt Cutts has only hinted at) but tests done by serious SEO gurus have proved they are quite adapt at text analysis. It's not just them looking at (and counting) the keywords but identifying nouns & verbs to build structure then deduce context. Simply running the text through a thesaurus or swapping text around using grammatical padding is not enough to fool them.

That's right folks all that stuff your English teacher bored you to death with at school about sentence analysis Syntax, Grammar, verbs, adverbs, nouns, pro-nouns, adjectives is suddenly important again.
    I feel sad but these are true. I tried mixing things up. But i didn't work that well. It seems that syntax, grammar and parts of speech will help me to get some quality content
    For Health and Beauty

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Is Good content?...
    Forums for instance survive by having huge amounts of what are generally regarded as low quality,
    repetitive posts that often contain information duplicated elsewhere across the web.

With a blog the quality and quantity of articles are not the issue. It is the subject being written about, the insights the writer provides and what it means to the humans who read it that determines popularity. Does the content speak to the desires of the reader, perhaps stir an emotional response or take a standpoint that some would consider controversial. These are things that make for 'Good Content' from a human perspective.

Desire - My 10 steps to Success, How I made money online, Secrets to seduce men/women, Forum moderation for beginners
    Emotive - Should unwanted kittens be suffocated or drowned? , Celebrity gossip, Do I need to see a doctor about this?
    Controversial - UFOs, conspiracy theories, corruption, abuses of power, politics, crime & punishment

Of course some topics like religion or race hate, the death penalty and the 9-11 mystery to give just a few examples push more than one button in the readers brain and have some appeal regardless of age, nationality or religion. So it is demonstrably possible to have a large amount of visitor interest generated from relatively few low quality articles that have been rapidly assembled from various sources.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What Is Good content?...
    Excellent post, Sogo and I really like your insights into what different "buttons" different types of content push. Another one is education or man's thirst for knowledge. Look at all the tutorial sites and sites that stay active such as e-How and other "How to sites".
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something else to consider is that an article capable of engaging the reader need not be a long article. So long as you include who, what, where, when, how, and why the reader will find it informative. Keeping the word count down also speeds up the flow of that information to the readers brain holding their attention, so they don't get bored and wander off making them more likely to read another blog entry. The example below is a general News type article and demonstrates how a story can grab a readers attention and still push those psychological buttons in less than 200 words.

<snip>
    Old farts, movie buffs and writers may already know this mock news story. It was written by Fay & Michael Kanin for the movie "Teacher's Pet" in 1958 starring Clark Gable & Doris Day. Though it could of been written yesterday, such is the society we chose to create.
    Last edited by Shyflower; Aug 30, 2012 at 17:47. Reason: removed copy/paste

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Something else to consider is that an article capable of engaging the reader need not be a long article. So long as you include who, what, where, when, how, and why the reader will find it informative. Keeping the word count down also speeds up the flow of that information to the readers brain holding their attention, so they don't get bored and wander off making them more likely to read another blog entry. The example below is a general News type article and demonstrates how a story can grab a readers attention and still push those psychological buttons in less than 200 words.

Old farts, movie buffs and writers may already know this mock news story. It was written by Fay & Michael Kanin for the movie "Teacher's Pet" in 1958 starring Clark Gable & Doris Day. Though it could of been written yesterday, such is the society we chose to create.
    Sorry, you are welcome to link to examples here, but we don't allow copy/paste material from other areas on the web unless you have the author's written permission.
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @shyflower
    That's an odd interpenetration of 'Fair Dealings' or 'Fair use' legislation, but your site , your rules so will abide.
    As I cannot verify that the site containing the screenplay has the required copyright permissions then shall
    not post a link to protect this forum from being accused of aiding copyright infringement or piracy.

@everbody-else
    Sorry folks you will just have to Google hard for it or wait till I publish the tutorial

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why not hire a freelancer, they can write quality article depends on your choosen keywords, just pick the one that can be trusted and honest.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @shyflower
    That's an odd interpenetration of 'Fair Dealings' or 'Fair use' legislation, but your site , your rules so will abide.
    As I cannot verify that the site containing the screenplay has the required copyright permissions then shall
    not post a link to protect this forum from being accused of aiding copyright infringement or piracy.

@everbody-else
    Sorry folks you will just have to Google hard for it or wait till I publish the tutorial
    Actually, no it isn't. Fair use is always -- always left to interpretation by the courts and one of their most prevalent interpretations has been that it is only fair use if it is non-profit. SitePoint isn't.

It's a shame that our members "just hae to Google hard for it". I found it in a link in CopyScape although it was translated from, I believe Japanese.
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Individual results for a given rubric will vary due to a growing trend of search engines returning tailored results based upon a users profile.
    My Japanese being a little rusty I refreshed my recollection from one of the many Movie Transcript sites written in English.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Individual results for a given rubric will vary due to a growing trend of search engines returning tailored results based upon a users profile.
    My Japanese being a little rusty I refreshed my recollection from one of the many Movie Transcript sites written in English.

In which case, you could certainly leave a link to where you found the example text you used.
    Linda Jenkinson

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originality, relevance and quality of the article all work in making your blog well-liked by your audience. The more people who follow your blog, the greater the chance of getting it "seen" by search engines.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backlinksrocksta View Post
    The more people who follow your blog, the greater the chance of getting it "seen" by search engines.
    would you kindly take a moment to explain how that works

because it sounds like nonsense
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post

Quality and relevant posts usually get the most shares among visitors/readers. The more shares your post gets, the more visits your site will have. This traffic can then be "observed" by search engines, improving your placement in the search engines for a specific keyword. I hope this clarifies my previous post.
    Last edited by backlinksrocksta; Sep 26, 2012 at 06:29. Reason: Adding something.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backlinksrocksta View Post
    This traffic can then be "observed" by search engines, improving your placement in the search engines for a specific keyword.

rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Although i had never thought of that before, I think he's right about it. A lot of the time, a shared link from one FB post or tweet will lead me to read an article on another site. That impression shows up in the site's analytics and I imagine is factored into the SE algorithm in reference to the site's popularity and number of visits.
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    That impression shows up in the site's analytics ....
    would you mind taking a moment to explain how site analytics are invoked if i visit a web page ~not~ coming from a search engine results list
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    would you mind taking a moment to explain how site analytics are invoked if i visit a web page ~not~ coming from a search engine results list
    Like you don't know how technically challenged I am!

All I know is that when I check my analytics they tell me how many new visitors my site has had and how they found my site, whether by search engine or a referral from another site.
    Linda Jenkinson