SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    SitePoint Enthusiast Adrian98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Don't you think FireFox is in the mood of version Race?

    I have seen quite a good development in Firefox versions! The most good update which I saw was from 3.6.9 to firefox 4. But in recent last 2 years I have seen Firefox making lot of version names even for smaller changes! It's like last night when I slept I was having Firefox 11 but in morning it got updated to version 12. I agree to be updated but is it necessary to give a new version name for every minor update? If you see Internet Explorer for every version they introduce something new! for example Internet Explorer 9 from Internet Explorer 8..So Don't you think FireFox is in the mood of increasing the no. of version race?

  2. #2
    It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    ralph.m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, AU
    Posts
    24,112
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Well, try Chrome, which has far more versions than Firefox. Do you really want browsers to remain as fixed as IE? Once IE is out, we are stuck with it for years ... although I gather they are starting to do incremental upgrades like this now. The web will move forward much faster is browsers update regularly. Think of all the CSS3 we'd be able to use if they all kept moving apace like this.
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

    Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

    Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

  3. #3
    Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    4,248
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that's more marketing psychology pertaining to people's expectations than anything else... Give people the illusion that every number increment is a major new release. 12 sounds better than 11.5.7 to some people.

    I remember the havoc the last iPhone release caused. Everyone was expecting the next-generation iPhone to be labeled "iPhone 5". Out came the "iPhone 4S" as the successor of the iPhone 4. Some people actually felt that it was a betrayal of sorts before even looking at the specs.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble



  4. #4
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think so , because if they did not ,that would put them behind in the other site.

  5. #5
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to love using firefox but lately the updates have not been impressing. The latest version takes a minute to load. I think it has too much going on (add ons etc). Chrome is perfect. Simple and fast.

  6. #6
    From space with love silver trophy
    SpacePhoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Poole, UK
    Posts
    4,998
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found the current version of FF locks up occasional, especially when I'm opening a load of tabs at the same time
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

  7. #7
    Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    TechnoBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argyll, Scotland
    Posts
    6,083
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amsknox View Post
    I think it has too much going on (add ons etc).
    It will only have add-ons if you've ... er ... added them on.
    Take plenty of exercise walk round and round the garden
    or
    sign up now for the Isle of Jura 10K or Half Marathon!

  8. #8
    Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    16,786
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The major impact that the new version numbering is having is on Firefox extensions. Where it used to be reasonable to have the extension set up to identify that it would work with all sub-versions of version 4 including those not released yet, as soon as FF released a minor upgrade and called it v5 the extensions automatically reported that they wouldn't work with that version until their max version identifier was updated. So now the extension writers have to waste time making small changes to their code each time a new FF vewrsion comes out so as to tell FF that their extension will still work bwcause the browser change was so minor that it didn't change anything that would have any impact on anything.
    Stephen J Chapman

    javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

  9. #9
    It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    ralph.m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, AU
    Posts
    24,112
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek View Post
    I think that's more marketing psychology pertaining to people's expectations than anything else... Give people the illusion that every number increment is a major new release. 12 sounds better than 11.5.7 to some people. .
    Ha ha, hadn't thought of it like that. I wonder, though, if many people care much whether it's 12 or 11.5.7 ... as long as they keep it up to date and progressing. I have no idea what version Chrome it up to, as it all happens in the background. That's an advantage Chrome has, IMHO.
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

    Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

    Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

  10. #10
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe all of the major Web browsers are in a race, and I am loving every moment of it.

    It is far better to have constant updates (even if they are minor), than having a stagnant browser.
    For example, look at IE; it was stagnant for such a long time! Imagine how far we could have gone should Microsoft had continued to update it!

    These updates are very beneficial, for they push the other companies and ultimately improve the Web!

  11. #11
    SitePoint Member cometodeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    FireFox Would be more and more convenient, it is on the way

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheegoth View Post
    I believe all of the major Web browsers are in a race, and I am loving every moment of it.

    It is far better to have constant updates (even if they are minor), than having a stagnant browser.
    For example, look at IE; it was stagnant for such a long time! Imagine how far we could have gone should Microsoft had continued to update it!

    These updates are very beneficial, for they push the other companies and ultimately improve the Web!
    It has been always on the way, Love to use firefox and to try to wait for better versions

  12. #12
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    molona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    from Madrid to Heaven
    Posts
    8,179
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoBear View Post
    It will only have add-ons if you've ... er ... added them on.
    No! Impossible! Really? I didn't know that

    Off Topic:

    Sorry, I couldn't resist

  13. #13
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Guwahati
    Posts
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are marketing strategies to stay in the version race ..

  14. #14
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea that Firefox releases versions from 10, 11, 12 gives the idea to people who are not so "tech savvy" that it is more of a stable release. Chrome works well because as Ralph mentioned the updates are in the background and you never really know when stuff is getting updated. Which I like, because when I used to use Firefox, updates were regular and to be honest, having to sit through that update and then restarting Firefox comes at the most annoying times (It seemed for me, hah!) I'm obsessed with Chrome lately and wouldn't change it for anything.

    About version races, it's good to see a company want to develop and release so fast. Internet explorer has and will continue to be left behind because of the not so regular updates. If all browsers moved in fashion to Chrome and Firefox we would indeed be seeing the use of more CSS3 and HTML5 stuff in our browsers which I know as a web developer we definitely want...

  15. #15
    SitePoint Enthusiast Adrian98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    Well, try Chrome, which has far more versions than Firefox. Do you really want browsers to remain as fixed as IE? Once IE is out, we are stuck with it for years ... although I gather they are starting to do incremental upgrades like this now. The web will move forward much faster is browsers update regularly. Think of all the CSS3 we'd be able to use if they all kept moving apace like this.
    I am not saying we should be stuck to just one single stable package , I mean to say, If there is any new version for the browser, it should be something big or good to count ! Even if there are minor changes are being happened the version names can be done in decimals(FireFox used to do it 2 years ago) But since then in just 2 years the Firefox has taken a big leap in making no. of versions for smaller updates and the real drawback we face is the incompatibility of the add-ons for every new version and that's the reason I Switched Myself to Chrome! Thanks

  16. #16
    SitePoint Enthusiast Adrian98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rowefx View Post
    The idea that Firefox releases versions from 10, 11, 12 gives the idea to people who are not so "tech savvy" that it is more of a stable release. Chrome works well because as Ralph mentioned the updates are in the background and you never really know when stuff is getting updated. Which I like, because when I used to use Firefox, updates were regular and to be honest, having to sit through that update and then restarting Firefox comes at the most annoying times (It seemed for me, hah!) I'm obsessed with Chrome lately and wouldn't change it for anything.

    About version races, it's good to see a company want to develop and release so fast. Internet explorer has and will continue to be left behind because of the not so regular updates. If all browsers moved in fashion to Chrome and Firefox we would indeed be seeing the use of more CSS3 and HTML5 stuff in our browsers which I know as a web developer we definitely want...
    that's right, this is the beauty of the chrome that the updates run in background unlike in the case of FireFox! Even I am sticking to Chrome for longer time!

  17. #17
    Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    4,248
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And it's interesting that Firefox had ceased using decimal numbers roughly at the time when Chrome rose to popularity and eventually took over: http://gs.statcounter.com/press/chro...for-first-time
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble



  18. #18
    SitePoint Enthusiast tanjilovi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dhaka, Bangladesh.
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was using Firefox 3 with very comfort. Then they updated it to version 4. These days Firefox 14 is available!! And these new versions are not that overwhelming good !! I am now using Chrome as my default browser which is much better !

  19. #19
    SitePoint Addict Shaydez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Boca Raton, Florida
    Posts
    356
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    problem with all the FF versions is Addons are becoming obsolete in matter of weeks. I get a cool addon.. bam doesn't work anymore.. the developer obviously can't keep up with the updates; then they bail out on developing out the addon. i prefer atleast bi yearly updates.
    Sr. Website Developer and Internet Marketing
    www.CarlosJa.com Note: If anyone
    needs to get ahold of me please feel free to email me through
    my site. Apparently i missed quite a few private messages.

  20. #20
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,832
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian98 View Post
    But in recent last 2 years I have seen Firefox making lot of version names even for smaller changes! It's like last night when I slept I was having Firefox 11 but in morning it got updated to version 12. I agree to be updated but is it necessary to give a new version name for every minor update?
    I have thought about this myself and could not agree more. It's almost a joke the way Firefox comes out with a new version number for minor enhancements. We are already up to Firefox 14! At the current pace, we should be up to Firefox 100 in 2 or 3 years.

    I normally don't use Firefox because it is a slow, bloated piece of crap that locks up. I usually use Opera. But it isn't on this computer.

    By the way, I am using a quad core Intel with 4 GB of RAM and Firefox 14.0.1 choked on this hotel
    website.


    http://www.fourseasons.com/lasvegas/

    Firefox locked up for a good 15 - 20 seconds when I first tried to view that website. If there is heavy javascript such as a few jQuery libraries, it seems that Firefox chokes.

    Maybe someone using Firefox can visit that hotel site and let me know if Firefox chokes on it for you as well.

  21. #21
    Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    A Maze of Twisty Little Passages
    Posts
    6,316
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it didn't choke at all for me and I am on similar RAM and a slow connection.

  22. #22
    It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    ralph.m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, AU
    Posts
    24,112
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Also loaded fine for me, and I'm on a pretty slow connection ... on the otter side of the world.
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

    Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

    Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

  23. #23
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,832
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xhtmlcoder View Post
    No, it didn't choke at all for me and I am on similar RAM and a slow connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    Also loaded fine for me, and I'm on a pretty slow connection ... on the otter side of the world.
    Seriously? I just visited the website again and Firefox choked on it again. It took 15 seconds to load the page, basically locking up the computer during that time and I could hear the hard drive was doing a lot of seeking. I'm on a fast 12 MB internet connection, so that isn't it.

    http://www.fourseasons.com/lasvegas/

  24. #24
    Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    4,248
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesedude View Post
    http://www.fourseasons.com/lasvegas/

    Firefox locked up for a good 15 - 20 seconds when I first tried to view that website. If there is heavy javascript such as a few jQuery libraries, it seems that Firefox chokes.

    Maybe someone using Firefox can visit that hotel site and let me know if Firefox chokes on it for you as well.
    FF didn't choke on the site for me either. It took 2 seconds to load fully and works without hiccups. I'm on a 2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon with 8 GB machine (Mac).
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble



  25. #25
    SitePoint Member JohnDevice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree to be updated but is it necessary to give a new version name for every minor update? If you see Internet Explorer for every version they introduce something new! for example Internet Explorer 9 from Internet Explorer 8..So Don't you think FireFox is in the mood of increasing the no. of version race?
    I'm absolutely agree with you . I don't see any serious different between new and old FireFox versions . I think that isn't right tactic from them .


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •