SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review my music service website

The site I would like reviewed is http://www.musicofmassage.com

General
    The site is definitely not completed. I've just put together this new design and logo and I am looking for suggestions for improvement.

The site has been online since January, 2011, however this is a completely new design and is doing better generally in terms of converting visitors to members.

SEO
    We do have incoming links, though need to work on our backlink profile a lot.

Our primary keyword would be "massage music", or "best music for massage", or "music for massage" (which was taken as a domain, so we went with Music Of Massage instead).

We'd really like any suggestions, though the site is managed with Wordpress, so we're really a bit limited on our knowledge of editing PHP. But we're open to all suggestions.

Demographics:
    Target audience is male or female massage therapists of all ages, located anywhere in the world. To this end, we've translated our main page into about 10 different languages, and get some searches and customers, primarily from Europe, for the languages we've optimized around.

Massage therapists tend to have an income range of $35,000-$70,000/year.

Purpose:
    The purpose of the site is to get users to join Music Of Massage monthly, or buy a massage CD.
    How easy is it for you to want to buy from us? What can we do to make it better and make you want to make a purchase or sign up as a monthly member?

We're definitely open to any suggestions for design changes as well.

Thank-you!

Jonathan
    http://www.MusicOfMassage.com

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I'm not too keen on seeing this on my first glance at the site:

100 Day Money Back Guarantee! Fast and Free US Shipping!
    and so on.

I also don't think you've made the best use of the space at the top below that line. It's an opportunity to explain an a short sentence and in a big font exactly what the site is for. I often find it's too late to communicate this message down in the body text. I feel I should already know what I've getting before I get to that copy.

Another minor point. The body text on the home page begins to use the word "I" before it's clear who I is, which I don't recommend. It would be better to start the body copy with an explanation of who you are, the main point of the site having been captured in the banner (or page intro) as I mentioned.

The purpose of the site is to get users to join Music Of Massage monthly, or buy a massage CD.
    OK, use that as a basis for your banner. Move the logo to the left, and make a bold statement or two about what you offer. I'm still not clear on what "Music of Massage monthly" means. When something isn't clear to me immediately, I tend to leave.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your great feedback!

Can you tell me more about why this phrase would turn you away? (Exact opposite of the goal for why it's there)

100 Day Money Back Guarantee! Fast and Free US Shipping!
    Also,
    It would be better to start the body copy with an explanation of who you are, the main point of the site having been captured in the banner (or page intro) as I mentioned.
    100% agreed. Thank-you for pointing that out so that can be changed.

Thank-you very much for your tips so far. Great to have additional eyes to look at this.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think it would be better to have a tag line like "A CD Of The Month Club For Massage Therapists, By Massage Therapists"?

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strive4impact View Post
    Can you tell me more about why this phrase would turn you away?
    It just creates the wrong initial feel for me. Make me love your product first, then delight me with the money issues later. We are so inundated with "specials" that it's kind of the dirty side of marketing, so it can be dangerous to make that sound straight out of the blocks. If some guy came to my door and started to scream about special offers, money back guarantees and the like, the door would be slammed in his face before I knew what he was selling.

Quote Originally Posted by strive4impact View Post
    Do you think it would be better to have a tag line like ...
    Possibly, although I might add smome more words to clarify, like a short paragraph. But if you go with just what you posted, add a bit of punctuation, such as

A CD Of The Month ClubFor Massage Therapists, By Massage Therapists

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    • Firstly, use different fonts for the site: a mix of serifs and sans-serifs. Choose one for body text and one for heading text. Times New Roman does not look good for a whole site, and there are better alternatives. "Georgia" is better for body text.
    • 150% line height makes text much more readable and attractive (looking at the "Massage Music that Is Perfect..." heading).
    • Use colors! Your "color theme" right now is black and white - it takes a very skilled web designer to pull off a monochrome theme.
    • "Music of Massage/Best Massage Music Delivered Monthly/Massage music: Best Massage Music Delivered Monthly" The last line is not necessary
    • This whole bar (http://puu.sh/IMil) can be moved under the navigation.
    • You have a lot of wasted space by the logo. Consider filling it.

And one last thing: I advise you to ensure the legality of your business. You are reselling the artist's music (some of which was available for free). By most music's licenses this is illegal, so if you haven't already I advise you to review the licenses.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simply in terms of design:

1. banner: the first thing would be to place your logo on the left, and all that above it, put it to the right
    2. I do not know why this "Massage music: Best Massage Music Delivered Monthly" is underneath the same thing, why not use the margin-left:-999999px; technique?
    3. that login link is lost over there at the top.
    4. as you said, it is not finished, but think of using the colors from your logo as the color palet of your entire site.
    5. think about whether you can have only one sidebar - the footer could come in handy in this case
    6. I personally do not like bevel emboss on the web
    7. add to card button is way over the top
    8. I dont think you should center content, it might be best practice on a word document but not on the web. (I dont think)

your blog page (the first page .../blog) is good.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Firefox 13, only somethings wrong with your navigation mouse-over color.

SitePoint Enthusiast hypernovadesign's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general, I look the design of the website as it is a clear and easy to navigate one. Everything is set on one home page and the user should not have an issue with finding what he/she is looking for.

However, you could improve your website. I have looked at your blog and it looks like it has not been updated since January 2012. I recommend you regular updates, at least once every month. People who visit a blog page may think the website is dead and this may grighten them. Also, more unique content will help you with SEO.

When I click on Log In button in the upper right corner it takes me to the Word Press login. I prefer more professional solutions and thus I would never use Word Press logo on a login page. Please change that and I am sure this will help your website in gaining more trust.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for me the website is too much white, Im sorry, a little colours make me feel good

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea!

However design looks a little outdated (Web 1.0) and crowded..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work, but need to reduce the header height.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sms2luv View Post
    Nice work, but need to reduce the header height.
    Agreed. Also the shopping cart should be somewhere in the Footer not the header it makes your website look unprofessional.
    Chat Arena - General Forum!
    - www.chatarena.org