SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Elledan
    Anyone here using a wireless headphone? I know that some of you are using a wireless keyboard/mouse (JamesUS) but how about the headphones?

I'm using a wireless headphone myself to avoid being strangled when I watch a movie on my PC (late at night )

You never know when you fall asleep...
    I want one of those laser mouses and cordless keyboards. My friend tried to install one and it ended up really screwing up his computer, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jumpthru
    and my medal that I won two years ago in the Ireland Programming Competition
    Please explain
    Boy I brag about this one too much!

I was first in the All Ireland Schools Programming Competition (Under 16 section) a couple of years back.

Has nobody else ever won anything because of their computing skills? One of my friends won a Microsoft-sponsored trip to Seattle for three weeks for basically doing nothing--he hardly knows how to program with Visual Basic let alone C.... BTW this friend lives in Northern Ireland

[Edited by nitegold on 09-04-2000 at 01:32 PM]
    Daniel Irvine
    Aroze - Content management simplified.
    F-Free.Net - Free Stuff and Freebies!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm intrigued
    What did this program do?

Thought I'd actually answer your question aswell
    Nope... I haven't won any awards or competitions as such, could be to do with the fact I haven't entered any
    I have written alot of programs though, and have done even more reverse engineering...

But, I built a robotic arm with my friend and we designed all the hardware etc using those PIC 12c508 chips I wrote the control programs.. compiled the binaries in C, I cant program very well in asm... yet

[Edited by anti_alias on 09-04-2000 at 01:53 PM]

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I have won for my programming talents is clients .

As for the entertainment side of things, we have a DVD player and Surround sound system with a nice 16:9 TV for after work entertainment (The chairs are comfy - why go to the cinema?)

Not got cordless headsets - but we do have some lovely DECT phones that are nice.

We have a huge collection of our CDs in the office as well (Well the CDs are in a cupborad somewhere and are stored as MP3s on one of the PCs).

I also have something adorning my monitor as well - I have a blue/purple/green/lots of other colours Intel Bunny Man on my monitor.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Programming competition? That's interesting - how did it work?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    Programming competition? That's interesting - how did it work?
    I want to know too...

But for those of you not in Ireland and under 18, the ArsDigita contest looks interesting.

The prizes are as follows for finalists (not first place)
    --$1,000 in cash
    --use of a database-backed Web server for their future projects (a Solaris server graciously donated by Sun Microsystems)
    --an all-expense paid trip to MIT to attend a two-day course on Web application design and a week long boot camp at ArsDigita Corporation

And for first place there's a cool $10,000 (!) plus much more, too much to be listed here.

I'm gonna enter next year...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, well basically, the competition is split into two rounds - the first round is done at home; it's very simple, consisting of five simple problems. Usually they give a tricky fifth problem but some years they don't.

If you get through to the second round you take part in the final round which is held on a weekend in February in Dublin City University. It's a really nice place, the most modern university in Ireland You get 4 problems on Saturday and 4 problems on Sunday, and 5 hours each day to solve them in. You have your choice of Borland C++ 3.1, Turbo Pascal 7 and QBasic. I think they also had MS Visual Studio 6 there last year but I never bothered to work out how to use it for the competition, as I am more accustomed to BC3.1, so I used that instead

I always get a very sore head on Saturday, simply because I can't sit at a computer for 5 hours

There are three winners in each under-age category, and then there are four winners overall. These four winners go off to the International Programming Olympiad, basically the Olympic Games for scientists I haven't got to that yet, but this year I am going to *revise* for the competition. Plus I actually have some competition now. My Under 16 title was stolen from me last year from a 12 year old... he was a *true* nerd (he actually won the U16 and U17 categories).

You can find out more info here (you can get previous problems and solutions here too):
    http://www.compapp.dcu.ie/~cdaly/ire_comp/

and more importantly the page with the 1999 winners on it
    http://www.compapp.dcu.ie/~cdaly/ire...9/winners.html

I am sure that this competition is run in other parts of the world. In fact the Japenese have a school that runs a one-year course designed specially for the International Olympiad. They usually win it too
    Daniel Irvine
    Aroze - Content management simplified.
    F-Free.Net - Free Stuff and Freebies!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by anti_alias
    I have a better idea for this topic... who *doesn't* work from their bedroom
    When I'm at home, I work wherever. Sometimes I lie (or sit)on the floor. Sometimes I sit on my bed. Sometimes I'm on a couch. Sometimes I even sit at my desk!

And yes, I do have a laptop.