SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How big is the room you're working in? In what part of the house/building is it? What kind of desk do you have? And what is the impression that the average visitor gets when he/she sees this room (very neat, bit messy, messy, not cleaned in many days/months/years, a pile of unorganized and undefinable... things or close to a citydump)?

I'm currently working in my bedroom (actually it's an office with a bed in it ) and I've a huge desk with all the things on it very organized.

My desk may look organized, the rest of the room is more messy, although they won't make a visitor faint or worse

Awaiting your replies,
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... It's my bedroom, I cant even begin to describe the mess...
    I have got my desk in one corner... (it's L shaped)... on the desk first I have my printer... then a speaker of my stereo (a kenwood hm331, so the speaker looks a bit strange on my desk)... then I have my monitor... then the other speaker and then my stereo... underneath i my base unit, scanner, a spare computer IMHO: better to be safe than sorry , piles of ex hardware that I have upgraded from and never bothered to throw out because 'they might be useful one day'.... I have a nice big leather chair and a howge rack of CDs behind my chair (approx 60 data and 20 audio). My computer is networked with my old P90 which I mainly use for 2 player GTA

btw; if anyone visits me, they have to sit on the bed or my window sill, I only have one chair

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My office is my bedroom--my computer is mine, and I don't let anybody else touch it

Anyway I have a great desk measuring 2m x 1m. My monitor sits on the left hand side, with the minitower underneath. My bin sits right of that tower, and then to the right of that is my HUGE HP LaserJet III. Unfortunately I bust it the other day--it started smoking so I turned it off, and now it doesn't work Then to the right of that are my drawers, in which I keep basically odds and ends, cassette tapes, floppy disks, school stuff, old letters/invoices, whatever. Back on top, I currently have nine books: a 3-book set from Collins (Dictionary/Guide to English Usage/Guide to English Grammar), HTML 4.0 Sourcebook, The Pratice of Programming by Kernighan and Pike, Unfinished Tales by JJR Tolkien, and the 3-book set of The Lord of the Rings. I store all these, along with pens/paper/other odds and ends under a "riser" sort of thing which gives me a kind-of shelf about half a foot above the desk. On this I have my CDs, my stereo system, a plant beside my monitor (removes emmisions etc), my rowing medals (5 medals, 2 glasses and 1 shield), and my medal that I won two years ago in the Ireland Programming Competition. To the right of my desk, I have some small shelves were I keep software and school books. To the left, I have my cupboard with clothes and other assorted stuff, and behind me is my bed. And that is my room Pretty small, but I love it.

Oh, and on my floor in front of my cupboard, I have 3 keyboards, 2 monitors, 3 base units, 1 television, 1 CD-ROM drive (in pieces), a joystick, my alarm clock and 4 screwdrivers.
    Daniel Irvine
    Aroze - Content management simplified.
    F-Free.Net - Free Stuff and Freebies!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a better idea for this topic... who *doesn't* work from their bedroom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL yeah, though that would probably only get 3 or 4 replies

It's interesting though, I find it harder to work without my stereo on. I need music to be able to work well. I don't know how I will stick it when I get a real job
    Daniel Irvine

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What type of music are you into ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh.... lots of stuff, I suppose it would be easier for me to say that I H-A-T-E inde and rock music. I cannot stand stupid men *shouting*, not *singing*, and at the same time playing their guitars like they are smashing bin lids together.

But I am into love, soul, RnB.... whatever takes my fancy. I like quite a bit of 80s music too
    Daniel Irvine

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

My office is my bedroom and sometimes is is really tidy and then others it is a very bad mess (It is a mess today but 2 days ago it was extreamly tidy, it changes very quickly). I hope if I ever have an office at a company it has a similar setup (including bed). My room consits of a computer desk, a normal desk, a bed, a chest of drawers, a wardrobe and my "entertainment stand" it sounds posh but all it is is three shelfs on wheels so I can move it around depending where I am sitting and it just has my TV, VCR and stereo on that (I love my music).

My computer desk is practicle as it was specialy designed for me by my brother (He is really good at graphics and he gave the plans to a furniture shop and they built it. Its quite practicle, It has a top with my monitor, my tower and a phone on it and then under that is a shelf that slides out with my mouse and keyboard on (Plus a pile of CD's) and then under that is two shelfs with my printer, books, paper, disks etc. on them. Even though it is praticle I still prefer the 'L' shape desks that are on one level. It doesn't have an amazing amount of storage space under the desk and it has no drawers but most of my other stuff goes in my wardrobe (It is big so I have quite a lot of spare room in it) or in my desk.

My bed is my favourite part of my room and as I said earlier I want a bed in my office, its not because I am lazy (well I am really ) but I do a lot of thinking on there and it is were I come up for most ideas for my designs. I want to get a lappy so I can work on there all the time.

One thing I would change (other than my desk) is my chair, it is a plain metal one that isn't very compfy but I usually just take the one out of my dads office which I love.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a huge big chair - it's blue in colour and is very comfy. It has nice armrests (moveable of course), and the seat height is adjustable too. Only problem is, the back is kind-of broken, and whenever I lean back the thing sqeaks. I hate that

PS. If anybody wants to give me a big black leather chair then please send it my way
    Daniel Irvine

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you want a cheap chair, look at http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/ ... thats where I got mine, if you are aked who referred you... never mind

http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/shop/...?ID=Q20%2DJONP - thats the on i got (save s)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhh i have an office downstairs with the printer, camera and the nice 450 pentium which i live at.

And then i have a p 200 in my room that i use only for when people are over, Xor somone in family needs the good computer....

I think i am in the only one that doesnt sleep with my computer although i wish i could
    I remember falling...
    i remember marching..
    like a one man army..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morning,

I'm another guy who works in his bedroom.

I have a rectangular black computer desk with my computer, sccanner, printer, CD-RW, a planner, etc. on it. I'd like to have a cube-shaped corner desk where I could do my homework, etc. on, but I don't have one.

I have a rollover wooden desk next to my computer things where I do all my written-work. It's pretty cool because it can lock and has built in file folders.

My room's not really messy. I have a TV right by my computer and my own bathroom so I'm all set.

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My desk is my computer's HD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,

It depends on which house I'm at (parents are divorced)...right now I'm at my mother's house...just a small little room with a bed and an old desk in the corner.

The computer is so-so...I can check my mail, post on forums like this one and such...and get some work done. This room is probably what you would call "small" and "cluttered".

The one at my father's is quite odd...we have one fairly big office room with a nice desk that basically wraps around the whole room (nearly). I work in one corner with my (personally bought computer...woohoo) computer, a cd rack and a bit of desk space (enough, at least).

There are two other people working in the room (usually)...my step-mother and my step-aunt...they're usually working on booking guests for the radio show. My aunt leaves at about 3-4pm each day though. It's a bit of a squeeze to get to my desk...but once I'm there it's better. I get most of my work done at that computer...which used to be in my room...where I had tons of space...however, I was cut off from everyone else, since my room is on the 3rd floor.

There, now you know as much about me as my siblings.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm working from an office/library. One entire wall is a gigantic (full) bookshelf, and the other wall is occupied by the computer and all its counterparts. It also has a good number of file cabinets, a desk and a table. Now if only I had a refrigerator...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sparkie
    I'm working from an office/library. One entire wall is a gigantic (full) bookshelf, and the other wall is occupied by the computer and all its counterparts. It also has a good number of file cabinets, a desk and a table. Now if only I had a refrigerator...
    Man, that could be me talking! I NEED one of those little mini-freezer thingies...I have a dream: to have a shelf with a microwave and tiny freezer on it next to my computer...I can stock up on soda and hotpockets and I'd only have to leave my desk to sleep and use the bathroom. Utopia, I know...perhaps I will reach it someday.

We've also got the bookshelf/wall combo - I love the feel it gives to the room. We've got like 7 bookshelves in this one room though...thousands of books.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my parents old coffee machine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by nitegold
    I have a huge big chair - it's blue in colour and is very comfy. It has nice armrests (moveable of course), and the seat height is adjustable too. Only problem is, the back is kind-of broken, and whenever I lean back the thing sqeaks. I hate that

PS. If anybody wants to give me a big black leather chair then please send it my way
    Awww... I know how you must feel... I've the same problem, except that my chair is probably more sqeakier and it doesn't have armrests

But I'll live...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got an old printer and scanner they don't want - they both suck. You have to sort of "guide" the paper into the printer...yech. I'd rather not print at all.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by anti_alias
    I don't. I work in the Dining Room.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    I've got an old printer and scanner they don't want - they both suck. You have to sort of "guide" the paper into the printer...yech. I'd rather not print at all.
    I just use a good ol' HP DeskJet 520. Black/White only, but who cares?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Color is over-rated anwyay.

Mind giving us an in-depth look at your workstation Wayne? I'd be quite interested to hear about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by wluke
    Originally posted by anti_alias
    I don't. I work in the Dining Room.
    You've a lappy, or...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my old workspace was pretty cool, outside of my bedroom and away from the rest of the family. It was kind of messy, but I knew where everything was. My new workspace with my new computer is across the room, and it will probably move to my room soon.

I have lots of old hardware that I like to collect, old hard drives that I have totally taken apart, things like that.

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by TWTCommish
    [B]
    Originally posted by Sparkie
    I'd only have to leave my desk to sleep and use the bathroom
    What about having a toilet fitted into the chair then you would only have to leave for the hour or so most of you sleep a night .