SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Throwing it to the wolves - my new design blog!

Hello all,
    I created this a couple of weeks ago, be good to hear your thoughts - excuse the lack of content http://www.display-nun.co.uk
    Check out my new blog - and let me know if you have any content suggestions (HTML5, CSS3, jQuery tutorials) - http://www.display-nun.co.uk

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Cor blimey, nice looking site! My main observation is that the text needs some minor editing. E.g.

Display:nun is the brainchild of Windsor-based web designer Andrew Dover. After spending more years than can be counted on a pair of hands working in website design and development, I’ve decided it’s time to give something back and impart all of my wisdom and findings back to anyone who cares to read them. This is currently in its early stages (V1 to be exact) but expect this to be crammed full of jQuery, CSS3 and HTML5 tutorials in no time.
    Also, on wider screens, it would be nice if the .inner div weren't restricted to a width of 640px. I'd say let is finds its own width.

PS: "display: nun".
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    Cor blimey, nice looking site! My main observation is that the text needs some minor editing. E.g.

Also, on wider screens, it would be nice if the .inner div weren't restricted to a width of 640px. I'd say let is finds its own width.

PS: "display: nun".
    Thanks for the feedback I was toying with letting it stretch to full width although in some peoples opinions when text stretches too far it can induce fatigue. I'll toy around with it!

Yeah the name is somewhat amusing/cringeworthy - I think it suits my personality!

Thanks again.
    Check out my new blog - and let me know if you have any content suggestions (HTML5, CSS3, jQuery tutorials) - http://www.display-nun.co.uk

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adover View Post
    Yeah the name is somewhat amusing/cringeworthy - I think it suits my personality!
    Ha ha, I know the feeling.

Don't forget "empart ".

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    One thing I notice is that, on pages with not much content, the main-content section is not tall enough, and the absos aside is cut off. See screen shot.

nun.jpg

SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    @adover,

I like it and especially the display-nun, definitely British humour.

Is the .com site not available and if it is why go for a .co.uk extension?

I also like your responsive design and especially when the first/left hand column is fixed with the other two columns scrolling.

Pleased to see the comments work as expected and took the liberty to add two-cents regarding the OOCSS.

I would prefer an email newsletter rather than a News:feed...
    Last edited by John_Betong; Jul 13, 2012 at 08:02. Reason: spelling: not my fortay

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    One thing I notice is that, on pages with not much content, the main-content section is not tall enough, and the absos aside is cut off. See screen shot.

nun.jpg
    Thanks for the spot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the website, only negative I would add is that the site name (display:nun) and url (display-nun) should be the same, not different IMHO

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the site is nice and simple, I would agree with one of the first comments and to let the content streatch. You have a flexible website design which changes when you shrink the page, so why not make it widen to fit any content also. With responsive websites i also like to have functionality which lets the user when he is at the bottom of the page scroll to the top easily.
    http://webdesignerwall.com/tutorials...-scroll-to-top
    If you implemented this any user on a smart phone will appriciate it.

Other than that i like the play on words / css

Well done :!)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the comments - a scrollTop is a sound idea - I'll implement that tonight!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lolz @ display nun.......lovely name choice. the red fonts for heading are quite hitting the eyes. but i love the design. very good effort

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check your site in IE8 - allot of it seems to be missing (on my machine at least).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

You've gotten some good feedback on the design and I don't have anything to add:

I find this headline clunky. It's a fragment, making the verbs in a list kinda confusing for most people.
    Learn how to build websites, code CSS and develop using jQuery

Consider something like:
    Learn to build websites with CSS and jQuery

Display:nun is the brainchild of Windsor-based web designer Andrew Dover. After spending more years than can be counted on a pair of hands working in website design and development, I’ve decided it’s time to give something back and impart all of my wisdom and findings back to anyone who cares to read them. This is currently in its early stages (V1 to be exact) but expect this to be crammed full of jQuery, CSS3 and HTML5 tutorials in no time.

You start this paragraph in the third person then jump to first person...

Consider something like:

Display:nun is a comprehensive web development resource by Windsor-based web designer Andrew Dover. After a bruising ten years in the web development trenches, Andrew has decided to share his experience, ideas and wisdom with aspiring web developers. Return soon for new jQuery, CSS3 and HTML5 tutorials.

Good work and good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the design, I don't think there is anything bad I can say about it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think that your site is very very nice, easy to understand, big fonts make the difference!!