SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Opinions on my "gadget & awesome gifts"-site www.RainbowsWillBeShat.com

I've put this site together with ambitions of showing the visitors products and gift ideas
    so awesome they will make everyone **** rainbows.

URL http://rainbowswillbeshat.com

I'd like to hear your opinions on site design and general thoughts.
    - What would it take for you to wanna share it with your friends?

Also, something's been bugging me. The whole concept of "shitting rainbows"..
    It may be too hard to understand the connection between awesome products and shitting rainbows?
    - Do I need to rebrand? Or just explain it with a better header picture or tagline?

Thanks!

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Well, it's certainly different. As long as you are happy to appeal mainly to quirky folks who can take a joke, I guess you'll be OK. The products certainly look weird but fun. Mind you, I only associate rainbows pouring out of my rear with being seriously ill.

As always, I prefer sites to have a very clear statement about what they are for at the top of the home page. I would assume from a first glance at the site that you are selling these goods, but it's not clear—especially after reading the About page. I don't trust sites I don't understand.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wrote a really detailed reply last night, but I must have accidentally hit "cancel" instead of reply (nice tech awareness on my part). I'll try to remember the key points.

*It would be good to have a search box, especially as you add products

*I think the products are fun and interesting. In terms of making me want to tell somebody about the site, it's the uniqueness of the products that would do it--I'm looking at you, zombie bottle opener. I would be more likely to link or share to a direct product page than the whole site, though.

*Nice layout of the products on category pages, clear nav. I wonder if Toys & Games and Kid Stuff are categories that should be combined? I wonder about the incongruity of having a category called "Kid Stuff" on a site with a mission to make visitors emit rainbows from their nether regions. (More on branding below)

*The sky blue color is tranquil and kind of sweet, so even though I'm guessing you were looking for a realistic background for your rainbow, it doesn't match the tone of the text, which is working toward edgy/funny. It looks like a grunge band member decided to wear a princess dress just for fun . . . kind of "off."

*I do think you need to re-think the branding and the domain name. Here's the thing--you're going to automatically alienate some potential customers with the domain name alone, much less some of the products and descriptions on the site. If you are looking to sell as much as possible, you don't want to turn anyone off before they even have a chance to browse the categories. I'd recommend you have a separate category page with adult themed items, so people who don't appreciate that kind of stuff don't have to have it smacking them in the face, and people who do appreciate it know what to expect.

Along those lines, the domain name isn't really as shocking or funny or unique as it could be. So you're kind of sacrificing yourself in both directions--alienating people who are offended by profanity, but not being edgy enough for users who enjoy sites like Cracked or The Onion. If you want to go in that direction and be unapologetic for the language and only market to that audience, you probably need to be more extreme. I like the conversational descriptions of the products, rather than the standard formal descriptions you usually find. I think that once you solidify your branding message, you can edit these to make them either extremely memorable or more appealing to a wider audience.

*Tiny question: Are you not allowed to use the word "Wolverine" for legal branding issues? Because one of your product listings says something about demon bone claws and it makes you look like you don't understand what the product is. I can't remember the description, but if you're not allowed to call it Wolverine in the title (or the supplier isn't), you can make an allusion to it in the description, if you haven't already.

Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All right, thank you very much for your detailed feedback. Really appreciate it.
    I've added a couple of things to my to-do-list now.
    - Clarify what the site is for at the top of the page (maybe also in title)
    - Search box
    - In future: re-brand (probably just launch a sister site with same content) Will need some time to come up with a good idea.

About the categories: Yea, they could use some rethinking too. Also, I don't feel it's quite right to put dog toys in the "games & toys" category. I could make a "games", "kids stuff" and "pets stuff" instead. I can probably squeeze 1 more category in.

About the wolverine thing: Actaully I think I just failed to make up a better name than what it was called at the amazon store (and supplier probably can't call it wolverine claw thingy). But it says something about mutant with retractable claws in the description.

And the sky blue thing: I think I now what you mean. I've tried making it less pale and I like it better now (not uploaded yet - gonna be soon.)

Again, thanks!
    (Although "J in Calgary" you almost make me doubt my project now xD I'll keep going though - a lot can be achieved though persistence.)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No--don't doubt the project! It has a ton of potential. Just the kinds of things you've selected to feature give it a fun, quirky feel. I think you've just got to decide who your audience will be and target your message accordingly (admittedly, that's kind of huge, but you can do it). Actually, it would be interesting to see how well a similar site does if you adjust the messaging for a more specific, edgy audience or if you adjust it to be more general and tame. (Obviously, you don't want all the same content because you'll be penalized by Google, but if you've got the time to experiment, it would be interesting to see which message leads to more sales.)

The Yoda backpack is hysterical, and who doesn't want a remote-controlled flying shark? The world needs your site ;-)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, all right then. Thanks for making me believe again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to say I really like the site and most of the products, only negative is the use of swearwords which may put a lot of people off shopping there. There are cleverer, more witty ways to make your point and add humour that won't offend anyone

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irishman View Post
    Just wanted to say I really like the site and most of the products, only negative is the use of swearwords which may put a lot of people off shopping there. There are cleverer, more witty ways to make your point and add humour that won't offend anyone
    Yea, I will probably create cleaner & less offending sister website when I come up with a good concept & domain. However I kinda expect that people entering sites called something with "shat" won't be offended by a bit of swearing

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site look totally funny.