SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    The usefulness of infographics

    I disagree with the post, Arguments against Infographics for conveying content. I think that it’s not fair to simply compare the amount of data text and graphics used in info graphics. Following this train of thought Internet would be a much better place if we remover images entirely.

    One of the key functions of images is they make things easier to understand. It is especially true for infographics, sure if you create an infographic that present information that can be summarized in a few sentences that’s an awful waste of space, but bear in mind that the original purpose of infographics is to present complex and huge amounts of data in a more comprehensible way. It allows you to quickly see relationships between different values without extensively studying the actual numbers, and makes the whole experience more user-friendly, because infographics are designed not for statistics geeks but for ordinary who need a quick summary of facts. This is why infographics have become increasingly important in marketing, both in traditional press and online.

    You can read an interesting article about how infographics affect marketing strategies nowadays here "Infographics – A Powerful Tool To Promote Your Business & Brand". Anyway, I think they are a very useful tool in pretty much the same way a flow charts and graphs are.
    Last edited by Shyflower; Jul 12, 2012 at 08:55. Reason: added some info to move this post to a new thread.

  2. #2
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Info graphics can be useful. However, the problem is that they are invisible to those who are vision impaired or otherwise unable to see graphics. A lot of info graphics would be better if the text was readable and the images placed using css. Although, as such, they wouldn't be download-able, a website could attach a link to either an image download or pdf.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  3. #3
    Wired Life GeraldNitram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    274
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing about images is that they don't always load, and the big ones take a lot of time to load for some people. Not everyone has a good Internet connection; you have to consider that. I'm not against the use of infographics. In fact, I'm a fan of those because they can be a bit entertaining at times, and they can turn one heck of a boring topic into something really interesting because of the use of images. You just have to provide something that would serve as an alternative for those infographics. Don't be afraid to use the classic text content. Oh, and that download link suggestion from Shyflower would be a good idea, too.
    Are you willing to become an SEO reseller?
    Work with a 100% white label SEO company today!

  4. #4
    SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    r937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39,263
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jetwalker102 View Post
    You can read an interesting article about how infographics affect marketing strategies nowadays here "Infographics Ė A Powerful Tool To Promote Your Business & Brand".
    isn't it interesting that this article did ~not~ use infographics to make its points
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

  5. #5
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Infographics work in the special places they are designed to work. They are not a substitute for good, short explanatory text.

  6. #6
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    isn't it interesting that this article did ~not~ use infographics to make its points
    maybe the author thought that the funny little images were info graphics, but really they aren't. They are just funny little images.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  7. #7
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jetwalker102 View Post
    I disagree with the post, Arguments against Infographics for conveying content. I think that itís not fair to simply compare the amount of data text and graphics used in info graphics. Following this train of thought Internet would be a much better place if we remover images entirely.

    One of the key functions of images is they make things easier to understand. It is especially true for infographics, sure if you create an infographic that present information that can be summarized in a few sentences thatís an awful waste of space, but bear in mind that the original purpose of infographics is to present complex and huge amounts of data in a more comprehensible way. It allows you to quickly see relationships between different values without extensively studying the actual numbers, and makes the whole experience more user-friendly, because infographics are designed not for statistics geeks but for ordinary who need a quick summary of facts. This is why infographics have become increasingly important in marketing, both in traditional press and online.

    You can read an interesting article about how infographics affect marketing strategies nowadays here "Infographics Ė A Powerful Tool To Promote Your Business & Brand". Anyway, I think they are a very useful tool in pretty much the same way a flow charts and graphs are.
    You state yourself why infographics can be a problem. It becomes far to easy to manipulate people if all they see is the summary of the information. You may not like it, but we live in a world where everyone seems to be following an agenda. These people are not above using cherry picked data, or outright manipulated data, to provide the information to an unsuspecting audience; who may take the information presented in an infographic as gospel. I am not saying everyone does this, but as with anything, the ethics must be considered as well.

    Infographics have a place, but when they become so prevalent that they replace the logic and discussion that come with the information presented, we all lose something.

  8. #8
    padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,108
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hi jet, welcome to Sitepoint

    I agree with you, the "infographic" that stomme posted is a bad example,
    I have seen some really well made ones that look beautiful and show the data. They are very effective and I like things that look good, who doesn't?
    http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_vdqi is a masterpiece on making good honest charts.
    As long as the data is shown accurately and not with gimmicks infographics have a lot of great uses.

    However, the problem is that they are invisible to those who are vision impaired or otherwise unable to see graphics.
    This really is a small number, and it's not as if people who add infographics are excluding visually impaired users, it's that visually impaired users cannot see visual content (charts). It's unfortunate but it's not neglectful to include content that benefits the vast majority.

    The thing about images is that they don't always load
    This really isn't a good reason not to use infographics.

    I am a little weary of marketing agencies ability to deceive though.
    If only the really great products / content out there were the ones with great marketers.

  9. #9
    SitePoint Enthusiast WebOutGateway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pasig City, Philippines
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraldNitram View Post
    The thing about images is that they don't always load, and the big ones take a lot of time to load for some people. Not everyone has a good Internet connection; you have to consider that.
    I think infographics should have text transcripts below it in respect to those who have slow Internet connection. Infographics could be interesting or boring, it depends on the content and the style in delivering a content. Personally, I love inforgraphics because I can get the information that I needed in no time.
    Witness how bright ideas transform into your website needs.
    Visit and connect us now for your
    Mobile Application Development requirements.

  10. #10
    SitePoint Zealot Spartinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    197
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found that if you title infographics correctly, the will have some good impact and maybe some light SEO. Thing is, it is always best to surround an infographic with plenty of support text maybe even repeating exactly what the infographic says!

  11. #11
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my point of view info-graphics are best way to share to share your knowledge. It is the best way to share your boring content with creative images and text. I love to read infographics.

  12. #12
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaypanchal View Post
    From my point of view info-graphics are best way to share to share your knowledge. It is the best way to share your boring content with creative images and text. I love to read infographics.
    If your content is boring to your visitors, why bother sharing it at all?
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  13. #13
    SitePoint Zealot Jack Sparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Marino
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Infographics live upto the promise "One picture is worth a thousand words". Recently Google's Matt Cutts said that they might discount the infographic links from the ranking factors. What everyone should understand is the fact that infographics is not about the links at all. Infographics is a type of social content that goes virally spread in Facebook, twitter or any other social network. In addition to that, Infographics are the best content to use for Pinterest marketing.
    Last edited by ralph.m; Dec 8, 2012 at 02:08. Reason: link removed

  14. #14
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Infographs make users spend time in website and users prefer infographs than contents. But in what way, it benifits? We cant use it for any promotions of products or services.. And need to be cautious about the statistics data and commenting a brand name


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •